Slightly OT - what is everyone doing for the 4th of July

okeefe4prez

Now I'm sure that a little more than half of the board won't be celebrating it, as it marks the formation of a horrible repressive regime that is responsible for literally every bad thing to ever happen in the world, but for those of you who are celebrating, what are y'all doing?

As for me, I spent $150 on fireworks last week. Fountains, roman candles, mortars, bottle rockets, saturn missiles. The municipalities near me have all cancelled fireworks, so me and some dudes in my neighborhood decided that we would try to somewhat centralize a "show" people could watch. I believe there will be 5 or 6 shows in the neighborhood.

I'm also smoking a shoulder and a chuck roast to make sloppy joe like sammiches called "chuckies." I may also crush a beer or two.

I too will be celebrating the evil American holiday known as the 4th of July. Who knows how many more years we'll be able to celebrate it?

Boating on St Croix River. Drinks, food, and fireworks afterward on beach near Hudson, Wisconsin.

My buddy up in Minneapolis said that the St Croix River has become a very popular destination for people from the Twin Cities. His neighborhood is burned to the ground and he has been to the river twice in the past month despite never going before his neighborhood burned down. It sounds like between The Germ and the city getting burned down, the lakes and rivers are finding a whole new clientele than they had in the past.

I too will be celebrating the evil American holiday known as the 4th of July. Who knows how many more years we'll be able to celebrate it?

Boating on St Croix River. Drinks, food, and fireworks afterward on beach near Hudson, Wisconsin.

Mind if I join you Xerxes? Sounds good

Smoked dead animal carcass of some sort is in our plans. The big family 4th get together ain't gonna happen, at least not in it's normal glory and the huge fireworks display the whole neighborhood comes out for. My sister-in-law who hosts the annual bash lives about 5 blocks from ground zero of the Floyd riots.

We'll probably have a smaller soiree at our house including alcohol and yard games...searching for a city still doing fireworks and a designated driver to get us there.

My buddy up in Minneapolis said that the St Croix River has become a very popular destination for people from the Twin Cities. His neighborhood is burned to the ground and he has been to the river twice in the past month despite never going before his neighborhood burned down. It sounds like between The Germ and the city getting burned down, the lakes and rivers are finding a whole new clientele than they had in the past.
Iowa fishing license sales are up 40% over a year ago according to the DNR.

We were fishing at Lake Benton in MN three weeks ago and had to wait in line out on the water for an hour and a half to get the boat out. Had 12 walleyes in the livewell with no ice trying to keep them alive, but there were so many f'n people out on boats we couldn't get off the lake. There were damn near fist fights between guys who were running out of gas and wanted to budge in line.

I've never seen so many boats and jet skis on bodies of water in my life.

Iowa fishing license sales are up 40% over a year ago according to the DNR.

We were fishing at Lake Benton in MN three weeks ago and had to wait in line out on the water for an hour and a half to get the boat out. Had 12 walleyes in the livewell with no ice trying to keep them alive, but there were so many f'n people out on boats we couldn't get off the lake. There were damn near fist fights between guys who were running out of gas and wanted to budge in line.

I've never seen so many boats and jet skis on bodies of water in my life.

Yeah, out by us they have had to ration out admissions to some of the state parks. We went to one a few weeks ago and got there at 9 AM when it opened and waited almost half an hour to get in because the line was so long. By the time we left there was a 1/4 mile long line of cars trying to get in. Luckily up in NC my buddy has a place in a private development and he has let us get admission for hikes as well so that place ain't busy, but everywhere public is just completely nuts to butts.

A whole lotta nothing. Most of the older fam isn't getting together. Could swim in my bro's pool, might sit around on the deck. No plans.

Say hi to my brother he lives there. About 30 mins from downtown Minneapolis.

Now I'm sure that a little more than half of the board won't be celebrating it, as it marks the formation of a horrible repressive regime that is responsible for literally every bad thing to ever happen in the world, but for those of you who are celebrating, what are y'all doing?

As for me, I spent $150 on fireworks last week. Fountains, roman candles, mortars, bottle rockets, saturn missiles. The municipalities near me have all cancelled fireworks, so me and some dudes in my neighborhood decided that we would try to somewhat centralize a "show" people could watch. I believe there will be 5 or 6 shows in the neighborhood.

I'm also smoking a shoulder and a chuck roast to make sloppy joe like sammiches called "chuckies." I may also crush a beer or two.

So OK4Prez you are actually saying on this board that you think the US is a horrible regime that is terrible for the world. Wow, your words!!! I hope you are joking or tongue in cheek saying that people who disagree with some things our govt has done or does are not right in their displeasure. If you are not joking you are a douche bag and one of those idiots that only wants things your way or it is the highway and anyone who is against Fed govt action is a commie pinko, hates the US, is a stupid immigrant or etc.

Man I thought people were not supposed to say anymore political crap in the threads here unless it is in one thread and has something to do with Iowa sports. but you ironically open up a thread about the US birthday by crapping on the US and as you say one half of its citizens.

What will I be doing? I will be celebrating our country and all of our freedoms because even with all the warts it is still the best country on Earth right now and probably ever. And I am not going to bash a bunch of other citizens.

No plans this yr. I wanted to be up in Quimby Iowa last weekend but since there was no Watermelon Days this yr I stayed down here. So I'll just grill out with my puppy and chill. Thanks Corona

Still up in the air on what we're doing on the actual 4th/weekend for certain. One thing that we're planning on for sure is floating the North Raccoon on Thursday after work and camping on a sandbar that night with my brother and sister in-law. Not the typical way to celebrate your 4th wedding anniversary I suppose, but we were both able to finally find and purchase our own kayaks so we're pretty excited. Hopping in at Adel and floating back to Van Meter. Would be nice to get some rain so the water levels raise a little bit. Forecast is looking dry though.

As for the 4th and weekend, still trying to decide if we venture over to Coralville Lake to hang out with my sis in-law's 'rents on their boat or go hang out with my dad and step mother up at Cutty's in Grimes. They do have a pretty good fireworks show actually. Some beers around the campfire doesn't sound too shabby.

Neighborhood bash including smoked pork butt, baby back ribs, grilled beef roast and side dishes up the wazoo! Pickle ball games, fireworks, (set off by a professional) and a live band! Also alcohol, lots and lots of it!!! The third stall pubs in the neighborhood will be busy!!!

Morning - probably hauling gravel to the backyard for the paver patio I'm installing - afternoon/evening - boating at the Coralville reservoir as I have every 4th for the last 20 years. Probably do some grilling/smoking when I get home, not sure what though!

So OK4Prez you are actually saying on this board that you think the US is a horrible regime that is terrible for the world. Wow, your words!!! I hope you are joking or tongue in cheek saying that people who disagree with some things our govt has done or does are not right in their displeasure. If you are not joking you are a douche bag and one of those idiots that only wants things your way or it is the highway and anyone who is against Fed govt action is a commie pinko, hates the US, is a stupid immigrant
@okeefe4prez is being sarcastic. He loves this country. We all love this country. We just don’t always like the stuff going on. Let’s leave the political stuff out of this nice ass thread and put it in the designated one.

Yeah, I know he made a sociological joke, but it was funny and he didn’t digress unnecessarily. The internet is a mofo for people who can’t sniff out sarcasm. Put some meat on whatever cooking appliance you have, drink a barley soda, and shoot a few bottle rockets. We’re all in this together.

Latest posts