SI's Mandel Talks up Iowa

I think Ron's point about the Iowa offense is one that a lot of people that don't follow Iowa have. But I think Iowa fans know that a big part of the Iowa offense being so poor was due to the substantial injuries they had to endure. When healthy Iowa's offense was more than capable.

My counter to Ron would be that even as woeful as the offense was last year, Iowa was still an OT field goal @Columbus from the Rose Bowl and an Orange Bowl winner. This year, the offense can't be any worse and with what we have returning, it is a good bet it will be much better.

Mandel really likes iowa. A few weeks after the 2009 season ended he predicted an Iowa/ Boise St championship game in the 2010 season. Time will tell....

I think Ron's point about the Iowa offense is one that a lot of people that don't follow Iowa have. But I think Iowa fans know that a big part of the Iowa offense being so poor was due to the substantial injuries they had to endure. When healthy Iowa's offense was more than capable.

My counter to Ron would be that even as woeful as the offense was last year, Iowa was still an OT field goal @Columbus from the Rose Bowl and an Orange Bowl winner. This year, the offense can't be any worse and with what we have returning, it is a good bet it will be much better.

I would actually counter with the fact that OSU's offense was just as shotty for much of the season too. They boosted their stats with the Rose Bowl, but they were pretty anemic most of the year.

Our rushing offense can be attributed to injuries. We lost Hampton before the year even started, and we had to replace a starter on the line seemingly every week.

Our defense is going to be one of the best in the country. I'm curious to see how OSU replaces Kurt Coleman. That guy made their defense tick last year, very underrated player (drafted much later than I figured he would be).

once again i agree with tm. however our offense will only go as far as our offensive line allows us, which there are still some question marks there. i have complete faith in the captain to be able to get a solid line out there, but lets be honest, it won't be the 2009 offensive line.

i also LOVED how he used the term "underrated" when referring to slingin dick. yeah he made a lot of bonehead plays last year that almost had me in tears...but then he showed brilliance when he needed to. most of his issues last year were just bad decisions. another year of practice and work under his belt and i see him limiting those issues big time and really coming out firing on all cylinders and surprising a lot of people.

the return of the jewel really excites me. i was really happy with what the freshman accomplished last year. yeah, we struggled to run the ball compared to 08, but the young bucks stepped up more than i ever expected. i see those boys making some big strides this year, and being pushed by the jewel will only help bring them along.

the defense...well...enough said

once again i agree with tm. however our offense will only go as far as our offensive line allows us, which there are still some question marks there. i have complete faith in the captain to be able to get a solid line out there, but lets be honest, it won't be the 2009 offensive line.

i also LOVED how he used the term "underrated" when referring to slingin dick. yeah he made a lot of bonehead plays last year that almost had me in tears...but then he showed brilliance when he needed to. most of his issues last year were just bad decisions. another year of practice and work under his belt and i see him limiting those issues big time and really coming out firing on all cylinders and surprising a lot of people.

the return of the jewel really excites me. i was really happy with what the freshman accomplished last year. yeah, we struggled to run the ball compared to 08, but the young bucks stepped up more than i ever expected. i see those boys making some big strides this year, and being pushed by the jewel will only help bring them along.

the defense...well...enough said

While you do have a point about this year's line not being the 2009 line, there is an asterisk. The 2009 line underachieved more than any KF offensive line that I've seen. The 2007 line had it rough, but given the group's inexperience that year, you can't really say they underachieved. 2009 was supposed to be stellar on the OL. It definitely wasn't. Eubanks was a solid guy, but not spectacular. Bulaga missed 3 games, and didn't look REALLY good until the Orange Bowl. Dace played terrific ball, definitely the best guy (performance-wise) when he was healthy last year. Calloway was just his solid, consistent self, as was Vandervelde. But the unit should have been MUCH better than it showed on the field.

So I do think this year's line could be as good, if not better. Certainly not on paper, but last year's group left a lot to be desired from a KF line, especially considering the talent they had. This line looks like it could be a deal where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Last year it was just a bunch of very talented cogs that didn't click together for nearly the entire season.

you make very valid points there. i'm also assuming you went to the spring game so you have actually been able to see the new guys in action. so i will take your word for what you say about the line for this season as i usually agree with what you say anyway.

i guess i just look at the accolades and names we lost from that line and ASSUME we can't have the same quality line. yup, i made an *** out of you and me, lol

Let's not forget a returning, experienced Ricky Stanzi who I think will make a difference on this team.

I think Stanzi will be much improved this year making the offense much better. Last year Stanzi spotted several teams 6 points but Iowa came back to win those games. This year I do not seeing Ricky throwing costly interceptions and making better decisions, overall.

That said and as long as the offensive line do their job and improve as the season moves on, the offense should be much better than last year. If this happens Iowa should be in the hunt for something very special this coming season.

Ron - Yes, Iowa is replacing some offensive linemen, but, those linemen have some nice quality game experience. As Mandel pointed out, this is KF speciality. If there is ever a position Iowa does pretty well reloading in, it's line. I usually notice that Iowa particularly struggles when having a young WR corp.

Also, remember who this young O-line is going to go up against in practice. They will be going up on a day-to-day basis, prob the best D-line in the Big-10 & top 5 in the nation. This will pay huge dividends.

That cannot be OVERLOOKED Ron!!!!