Shuffle the Staff

I like to listen to opposing team broadcasts during the game. The ISU guys were quite gracious of Iowa. Frankly they were far better than the negative emotions and lack of real analysis that Iowa gets.

They pointed out repeated that Petras was throwing (being taught) to throw where the other team likely can't get to it. Kind of changed my perspective a bit. I don't think Petras is that bad (he looked off receivers in HS quickly) but he for sure is a Golden Retriever in personality and doing what is asked of him. I do believe though those making the request true nature is abuse.
I rewatched SDSU twice and ISU once.

Technically they’d be correct saying he’s throwing it where DBs can’t catch it. But he’s also throwing it where our own receivers can’t catch it. That’s not me being snarky, it’s true. There were several open receivers he overthrew. I can go back and time stamp them in the game when I get time.

Also, one has to take his performances in context to the rest of the big ten. Regardless of the reason, he stinks compared to other QBs in the conference, and the sample size is large enough now to rule out coincidence or just bad dice rolls.

I rewatched SDSU twice and ISU once.

Technically they’d be correct saying he’s throwing it where DBs can’t catch it. But he’s also throwing it where our own receivers can’t catch it. That’s not me being snarky, it’s true. There were several open receivers he overthrew. I can go back and time stamp them in the game when I get time.

Also, one has to take his performances in context to the rest of the big ten. Regardless of the reason, he stinks compared to other QBs in the conference, and the sample size is large enough now to rule out coincidence or just bad dice rolls.
Totally agree except we might disagree in that KF and Co have made him progressively worse. The radio guys kept talking about Iowa not wanting to turn the ball over. Being Clowns I was a bit taken aback by their professionalism.

The game was won and lost by several plays that ISU receivers made on catches Iowa could never make. Haven't heard much mention on Iowa not realizing the conference differences on questionable field calls on out of bounds. ISU knew. Iowa did not. The ISU announcers did not believe that big no call was a real catch (that it was out of bounds) and were surprised at no Iowa action. I did not see it on TV as I went outside.

Seeing Jones success at Purdue, I'm guessing that CJs lack of playing time had to do with his not positioning himself to catch throws that Petras was throwing away from DBs.

Last edited:
Seeing Jones success at Purdue, I'm guessing that CJs lack of playing time had to do with his not positioning himself to catch throws that Petras was throwing away from DBs.

Logic hole.

If SP is having problems THIS YEAR because he's throwing away from defenders but the balls aren't being caught, wouldn't this imply that the remaining receivers aren't effective in this regard?

I'm not arguing the fact that coaching is a big part of the problem. Put Joe Burrow in this offense and I think you get the bump up to bad offense but no more.

Kirk is a case of a guy who was (is) probably king too long. He's too comfortable and making decisions based on blockheadedness rather than being rational, and letting the ship sink out of pride.

He and Brian are essentially telling reporters to let the fans, players, and everyone else attached to the program to eat cake.

I kinda like the ring of Kirk Antionette.

Ferantoinette?

What's your take on KOK leaving? (Trolling aside for a minute). Older guy ready to be done? Or Brian chirping in his dad's ear that there was an issue with the QB coach and he that could improve things in that area if given the chance?

I was at the Pitt game where we had that monstrous comeback. We had a big play book and we had the horses to run it, it was just clear Kirk was not gonna let the dog off the leash unless necessary.

When Davis came in I want to say our TD passes (with the same QB mind you) dropped from something like 27 to 6 in a year. This is just my opinion, but I think Davis was specifically installed to get people to clamor for change and to pave the path for Brian and O'Keefe was thrown under the bus to assuage Brian's ego this time around. No one takes responsibility for anything anymore.

Look, I actually think Brian Ferentz is a damned good play caller. He gets dudes open. But the buck ultimately stops with him for the QB now and the talent level and he's a colossal failure on that front. I genuinely think if he was in an NFL system where talent was assigned to him he would be very good. I sincerely think he's a good coach, he's just not a good coach for us and the nepotism is only going to exacerbate the situation.

I listened to Jimbo Fisher (not a fan) after A&M lost to App State.
They had a similar, dismal offensive showing.
He took responsibility. Said it was on him and the coaches.

Dont seem to hear that from Kirk. It's "we didnt execute" and things "we need to work on". Translation: its on the players. Not on him or the offensive coaches.

Kirk is a case of a guy who was (is) probably king too long. He's too comfortable and making decisions based on blockheadedness rather than being rational, and letting the ship sink out of pride.

He and Brian are essentially telling reporters to let the fans, players, and everyone else attached to the program to eat cake.

I kinda like the ring of Kirk Antionette.
Off with his head!

I've said it for years. It's been time for an entire coaching change from HC down.

Our win % during Ferentz' tenure is 58% in conference and 62% for all games. Do you really feel that we've been getting our biggest bang for the buck out of this staff? And stop saying, well we're just little ol' Iowa and can't attract any talent. Go ahead and tell that to Iowa State and see what they can do with a competent coaching staff or any other program in the B1G not named Michigan or fOSU.

Our defense is phenomenal and has been for years. Our special teams is insanely good this year with one of the best punters in the country. What's left? An offense that is coached by the son of our head coach. That kid wouldn't be anything more than an 0-line coach at any other program in this country and that's stretching it.

There are former Iowa football players that are coaches at other programs that have proven themselves on the national stage. I don't think it would take much to gain some interest.

It's time for the people that have backed their brinks trucks up to the back of the UofI bank to leave.

Logic hole.

If SP is having problems THIS YEAR because he's throwing away from defenders but the balls aren't being caught, wouldn't this imply that the remaining receivers aren't effective in this regard?

I'm not arguing the fact that coaching is a big part of the problem. Put Joe Burrow in this offense and I think you get the bump up to bad offense but no more.
Just the fact that CJ mentioned he was thinking of leaving. Never did I say that SP was only having issues this year. The F's are in his head. One year it's no running backs. Then the line. Then no kicker. Now no receivers. It's just insane.

That's a little highbrow for football, isn't it?

How about Kirk Corleone / Vito Ferentz? I never saw any Godfather movies, but I know "Never go against the family".
No way. The Corleones (minus Sonny) made smart, decisive moves and absolutely eviscerated their competition when they had to. They were ruthless when compromise wasn't an option. Michael had no problem demoting Tom when he needed a wartime Consigliere.

No.

The dumbest thing you could do would be to get rid of legacy guys like Woods and Parker. Why the F would yo do that? Jesus Christ man.

Got me to thinking. HF had guys under him who largely had big goals. KF not so much.

Parker has to have known for 2 years the QB situation isn't changing. He's 59 yo. Woods is 44. What has Woods to wait for? Phil to retire in 6 years so he can be a DC? He's not staying. Why has Parker stayed?

Got me to thinking. HF had guys under him who largely had big goals. KF not so much.

Parker has to have known for 2 years the QB situation isn't changing. He's 59 yo. Woods is 44. What has Woods to wait for? Phil to retire in 6 years so he can be a DC? He's not staying. Why has Parker stayed?
Parker has said on multiple occasions he doesn’t want to be a HC and is happy at the OC level. Not all people want to be in administration which is what the HC is. He likes to be working with guys on the field and we’re blessed to have him. My dad was a Vietnam vet and said on multiple occasions there were guys who were awesome lieutenants and sergeants who would’ve done a great job if promoted, but they wanted to lead their guys in the field. He also said most of the shitty ones were trying to get promoted and get an office on base rather than lead. Not a direct parallel to coaching by any means but there are similarities. As a guy who’s been involved in sports in some way my entire life I can tell Phil is a “player’s coach”.

woods is the last bastion of the Fry era. I haven’t been shy in touting that around here. He’s well-spoken, universally loved by his players and colleagues, and he’s a true born and raised Hawkeye under the Hayden way. I played sports against him growing up and he’s one of the least fake, head-screwed-on type of guy you’ll ever meet. If IOWA lets him leave it’ll mean two things. 1) It will be the end of the Hayden Fry legacy era, period point blank. Doneski. 2) IOWA will be sorry because he’s going to be a coordinator very soon and an elite head coach not long after that. He will coach in national title games. You guys can write that down.

Letting Woods leave IC to give your wet blanket son a coaching job he’s totally I’ll-equipped for would be the absolute worst thing that’s ever happened to Iowa sports.

Parker has said on multiple occasions he doesn’t want to be a HC and is happy at the OC level. Not all people want to be in administration which is what the HC is. He likes to be working with guys on the field and we’re blessed to have him. My dad was a Vietnam vet and said on multiple occasions there were guys who were awesome lieutenants and sergeants who would’ve done a great job if promoted, but they wanted to lead their guys in the field. He also said most of the shitty ones were trying to get promoted and get an office on base rather than lead. Not a direct parallel to coaching by any means but there are similarities. As a guy who’s been involved in sports in some way my entire life I can tell Phil is a “player’s coach”.

woods is the last bastion of the Fry era. I haven’t been shy in touting that around here. He’s well-spoken, universally loved by his players and colleagues, and he’s a true born and raised Hawkeye under the Hayden way. I played sports against him growing up and he’s one of the least fake, head-screwed-on type of guy you’ll ever meet. If IOWA lets him leave it’ll mean two things. 1) It will be the end of the Hayden Fry legacy era, period point blank. Doneski. 2) IOWA will be sorry because he’s going to be a coordinator very soon and an elite head coach not long after that. He will coach in national title games. You guys can write that down.

Letting Woods leave IC to give your wet blanket son a coaching job he’s totally I’ll-equipped for would be the absolute worst thing that’s ever happened to Iowa sports.
Agree. But keeping him.... not so easy. Guys at that level are intensely competitive.

I was at the Pitt game where we had that monstrous comeback. We had a big play book and we had the horses to run it, it was just clear Kirk was not gonna let the dog off the leash unless necessary.

When Davis came in I want to say our TD passes (with the same QB mind you) dropped from something like 27 to 6 in a year. This is just my opinion, but I think Davis was specifically installed to get people to clamor for change and to pave the path for Brian and O'Keefe was thrown under the bus to assuage Brian's ego this time around. No one takes responsibility for anything anymore.

Look, I actually think Brian Ferentz is a damned good play caller. He gets dudes open. But the buck ultimately stops with him for the QB now and the talent level and he's a colossal failure on that front. I genuinely think if he was in an NFL system where talent was assigned to him he would be very good. I sincerely think he's a good coach, he's just not a good coach for us and the nepotism is only going to exacerbate the situation.

^^^^This assessment is fair. Is BF a dynamic playcaller? No. But there are only about 10-12 guys in big boy college football that are. IMO, he is handcuffed by a lot of things...his father, poor o-line play and quarterbacks that KOK recommended in recruiting and the old man signed off on. Hindsight being 20/20, Hunter Dekkers looks a lot better than Duece Hogan right now.

Latest posts