Should you give a Gopher any mercy on X-Mass Game thread

This one stings, but I think if you try to look at this objectively...it's a Big Ten road game, the Goophs were dangerously close to running away with it in the first half. The Hawks came roaring back and, really, if you play out those final minutes of regulation, Iowa takes the W probably 7-8 times outta 10. Minnesota had to battle us for 45 minutes in their home building to get the W (with a couple of their guys having hot nights).

This was a lost opportunity and we need to close the deal next time, but I am not dissuaded from my opinion that the Hawks are gonna win a lot of Big Ten games this year.

Fran with another failure at strategy.. not fouling at the end... playing a zoen and leaving that guy wide open again and again.

Fran is cluless when it comes to defense.... its pretty amazing.
That is why I have been sitting with cautious optimism. Because I know who is coaching this team and what his track record is. This could end up being a 4th or 5th place Big Ten team with a 6 or 7 seed. The defense, poor free throw shooting, inconsistent 3 point shooting, and the potential for poor strategic coaching could very well land this talented group down to this level.

It's looking like NIT for us now. Minnesota is likely to finish 12th or 13th in the conference and we just lost to them. I'm having a hard time finding any positives when you lose one of the easiest games on your entire schedule. It was beyond a letdown. This team just isn't good. At least now we know and can dramatically lower our expectations. Yay NIT with no fans!!!

This one stings, but I think if you try to look at this objectively...it's a Big Ten road game, the Goophs were dangerously close to running away with it in the first half. The Hawks came roaring back and, really, if you play out those final minutes of regulation, Iowa takes the W probably 7-8 times outta 10. Minnesota had to battle us for 45 minutes in their home building to get the W (with a couple of their guys having hot nights).

This was a lost opportunity and we need to close the deal next time, but I am not dissuaded from my opinion that the Hawks are gonna win a lot of Big Ten games this year.
To win in this league, you have to be tough as nails.

Nunge looked like a wallflower out there, but he's all we got to play that role.

Ogundele sure as hell ain't ready.

It's looking like NIT for us now. Minnesota is likely to finish 12th or 13th in the conference and we just lost to them. I'm having a hard time finding any positives when you lose one of the easiest games on your entire schedule. It was beyond a letdown. This team just isn't good. At least now we know and can dramatically lower our expectations. Yay NIT with no fans!!!
You go right on ahead and order your NIT tickets.

Maybe you can sit by yourself and make a sign saying "I'm With Stupid".

They weren’t going to go 20-0 in conference play, but man you gotta have games like that if you are talking about winning the conference

Oh, I think they have a bit to much talent to drop to the NIT level. They will slog their way into the NCAAs and be out in the first weekend or Sweet 16. BAU

Fran with another failure at strategy.. not fouling at the end... playing a zoen and leaving that guy wide open again and again.

Fran is cluless when it comes to defense.... its pretty amazing.
It's not so much that we PLAYED zone against it, it's that we HAD to play zone. They pick-and-rolled us out of man because we were defending it with 3 guys, which left the guy in the corner wide open. Every time...literally, every time. Even when they don't pass it there. In our zone, we still used 3 guys to defend it, letting their guy replace our guy that left to double, which left him wide open. Our zone had to guard a post and a corner with one guy. Fredrick guarding a 7-footer? Should never happen.

At some point our coaches have to realize that these schmucks from every team have career nights against us.

I'm just saying what's obvious. We don't have a quality win on the season. Gonzaga destroyed us. We just lost to a 250 RPI garbage Minnesota team. There just aren't any positives to take from this game. I'm sorry but I'm just being realistic.

Honestly, tell me two games on our remaining schedule that are easier (on paper) than tonight's game. Carr looks good because he plays on a team with a bunch of guys who didn't even start in high school. That Johnson kid wouldn't play for any other power 5/6 school. He shoots 8/9 from 3. That's just beyond lucky. We've never had anyone shoot like that from 3.

You need to find another school. Football and basketball you’re a completely miserable motherfucker in every game. And you literally never post when the Hawks are doing anything good. Go buy some Ohio State shit.
I do get upset when we play like crap and lose to crap teams. I get too upset sometimes. I realize this and continue to work on it. However, your comment about me never posting anything when the Hawks are doing good is just flat out wrong. I post all kinds of positive things in the game threads when the Hawks do something good. My negative posts are just more...dramatic.

I'm just saying what's obvious. We don't have a quality win on the season. Gonzaga destroyed us. We just lost to a 250 RPI garbage Minnesota team. There just aren't any positives to take from this game. I'm sorry but I'm just being realistic.
North Carolina was a decent win. But, I agree, we have problems and the holes are very noticeable now.

Tomorrow's Newspaper Headlines:

"Carr Wreck In Minneapolis"

"Husker Du Comes Home, Says This Loss 'Makes No Sense At All' "

"Hawkeyes' Stockings Filled With Lumps Of Coal"

"Johnson Threesily The Thorn In Hawks' Side"

I doubt they're RPI is 250.

KenPom has them 42 (and us 5) even after tonight's results.

I think we are still safely in the NCAA field.

when you get out hustled for nearly the entire game, you will lose. So we did. We won’t have lots of chances to beat mediocre teams on the road, so this was a big loss. Very disappointed in our effort tonight. When we beat Purdue, we played much better D, and Purdue is a lot better team than MN.

Latest posts