Should the Big Ten invite A&M

IMO, the SEC has only delayed Texas A&M until they find a suitable 14th team. That team will not be FSU or Miami, because Florida is vehemently against this. Same thing for Clemson (and S Carolina). My guess is that Texas A&M and Virginia Tech will be in the SEC. SEC adds 2 new large television markets.

In what universe are College Station and Blacksburg major television markets?

Trust me, you dont want anything to do with a team from Texas, aTm or otherwise. If the B1G wants to expand they need to look to the east and possibly at Missery.

If I were the Big 10, I would offer TAMU and VT tomorrow. Instead of waiting for the SEC and PAC to consolidate power, make the first strike.

If you ignore them and go after Rutgers and Maryland, enjoy your future as the new Big East; A triple A conference.

You apparently do not know what the Big 10 is about then.

A&M isn't even close to being B10 material ... and VaTech is borderline, at best.

Virginia, Maryland, and Rutgers are much better fits.

What some folks seem to forget is how important resource sharing is in the Big 10. The Big 10 is A LOT more than just an athletic conference. It's also a coalition of research universities.

If the BIG extends an invite i have a couple teams in mind, and none are TAMU.
1. Mizzou(obvious)
2. Villanova(Good Basketball school, and football team is on the rise.)
3. Temple(Decent athletics they gave PSU a run for their money and beat UConn, Good academics)

College Station might not be, but Dallas, Austin, Houston, and San Antonio are. There are large amounts of Alumni from A&M in all four cities.
That is the problem though. You get alumni, but the casual Texas football fan is a Longhorn. Plain and simple. I think TCU has a much bigger following in the Dallas area than A/M. Everyone in Texas realizes that A/M is a cult, and the conference that picks them up will realize this as well. Aggies are nuts.

I also agree that the Big 10 should avoid contact with old SWC schools. They destroyed their conference by seeing who could cheat the most and get away with it. While A/M is a good academic school, they seem to be willing to destroy this in order to play some football with someone not named Texas. If I was a professor at College Station I would be livid, just based on the drop in conference research participation that will be incurred with the move. The athletic department at almost every university feeds itself, and gives nothing back to the university(UT is the odd duck, but they make so much more money than everyone else this is not surprising) . A/M will lose grants for their university with this move, in order to incur more travel expense and not make any more money for their athletic department(Big 12 revenue got a lot better last year). They lose big in the monetary game.

Any school willing to do this to try and flip off big brother is one you do not want in your conference.

If the BIG extends an invite i have a couple teams in mind, and none are TAMU.
1. Mizzou(obvious)
2. Villanova(Good Basketball school, and football team is on the rise.)
3. Temple(Decent athletics they gave PSU a run for their money and beat UConn, Good academics)

Villanova? All the schools in the Big East didn't want to add them because their football program is in no way ready for D1. They have a 30,000 man stadium, and it was estimated it would take almost $30M to bring it and their facilities up to the worst in the Big East. What are they going to do when PSU fans invade? Build some BWW to watch the game in?

A&M isn't even close to being B10 material ... and VaTech is borderline, at best.

What some folks seem to forget is how important resource sharing is in the Big 10. The Big 10 is A LOT more than just an athletic conference. It's also a coalition of research universities.
Uhh, A/M may be full of wackos, but their academics are better than most of the schools you just listed, especially VaTech.

Exactly why Iowa State might be a fit

Trust me, you dont want anything to do with a team from Texas, aTm or otherwise. If the B1G wants to expand they need to look to the east and possibly at Missery.
I'd be ok with A&M. Good academics, decent sports program, Texas markets. Never thought of it before, though.

In what universe are College Station and Blacksburg major television markets?
Simple question for you. Is State College, PA a major TV market? No? Well how about Pittsburgh and Philly?

I lived in Texas for a few years and although there are a lot more Longhorn fans, there are still a ton of A&M fans in Dallas, Houston and San Antonio. The Hokies are well represented throughout Virginia, Washington DC, and also Atlanta.

So if you can't follow a college team because you didn't go to college and probably never played a professional sport then how can one follow a pro team?

You sound like a cyclone fan so maybe you should go follow ISU.

Um, because pro sports is a only a business and college football is well...college.

The issue isn't just about being a fan. It is about being a fan that seems to have no understanding of the institution. All we hear from those people are recruiting and competition. There is more to college sports than that. Well, unless you are in the SEC.

Iowa and the B1G are special institutions because of a whole lot more than athletics. Those of you that cannot understand that, again, need to move on to pro sports where you belong.

Uhh, A/M may be full of wackos, but their academics are better than most of the schools you just listed, especially VaTech.

Thanks for the rebuke. I looked up some research rankings (and research dollars spent) and Texas A&M is definitely up there.

I happily stand corrected.

Quite frankly, given that I'm now delivered from my ignorance, they seem to satisfy most of the primary criteria.

A few issues might crop up though ...
1. Geography
2. Politics
and possibly ...
3. Academic well-roundedness

Simple question for you. Is State College, PA a major TV market? No? Well how about Pittsburgh and Philly?

I lived in Texas for a few years and although there are a lot more Longhorn fans, there are still a ton of A&M fans in Dallas, Houston and San Antonio. The Hokies are well represented throughout Virginia, Washington DC, and also Atlanta.

Penn State is the premier football team on the East Coast and has been for about thirty years. The only program that ever matched them in terms of visibility in that region is Boston College during the Flutie era. Like Michigan, Alabama, Notre Dame, and a very small handful of other teams, they are a national program that will always get covered on ESPN and major media outlets even after the Paterno era ends.

Texas A&M is probably best known for that coach who spent his salary at the strip clubs. They haven't been in a BCS-caliber bowl since 1998 and has won two bowl games in the last two decades (one of which was the illustrious galleryfurniture.com Bowl). In men's basketball, the other major revenue sport, they've never advanced beyond the Sweet Sixteen, and they've only made it there three times. Given not only competition from Texas, TCU, Texas Tech, the Cowboys, and the Texans, but also the huge geographical and cultural distances between them and the rest of the league, I don't see how their inclusion in the Big Ten would have major TV stations in Dallas and Houston sending reporters to Iowa City for game day. The Big Ten would still be irrelevant in Texas, and A&M would be irrelevant in the Big Ten. It doesn't make sense for anyone involved.

See, that's the thing, I know exactly what the Big 10 is all about.

However, as any Big 10 educated person knows, history repeats itself. When one group refuses to adapt to modern change, and instead they try and compete against a more advanced people while sticking to their old ways, they get annihilated.

If you guys are honestly more worried about sharing academic resources, prepare to be the Big East. This is something I honestly do not want to see happen, but some of you guys seem to be in love with the idea.

Latest posts