Should Iowa just eliminate the WR position?

I'm not doing your homework for you. Boise is a nice example.

What you're implying makes my point even stronger. Take the average WR at Boise and stand them next to the average WR at Iowa.

One is going to be a swiss army knife player, not great at any one thing, but perhaps passable at many things......blocking, tackling, etc.

The other is focused on just a couple: getting open, making a catch, moving the chains and scoring.

It really does come down to HOW the personnel is used.

And one of those paradigms sucks for WRs.

:eek:

Interesting how you mention "homework" when you have yet to produce a stat to back your initial stance (the 40 time was laughable) and besides, name a team - from a BCS conference - that stays (annually) consistently in the top 10 with a spread offense...

Interesting how you mention "homework" when you have yet to produce a stat to back your initial stance (the 40 time was laughable) and besides, name a team - from a BCS conference - that stays (annually) consistently in the top 10 with a spread offense...

Texas is the only one I can think of. Remember, they didn't fall off a cliff until they tried to turn themselves into a smash mouth running team.

So you think having the single greatest season as a receiver at Iowa does not reflect getting him involved in the offense?

I just thiNk our O needs a little more "innovation". Mcnutt and Coker put up huge numbers, YET it seemed we struggled more times than not. Its weird

Name an NFL WR.

Now name ONE currently on an NFL roster from IOWA.

NFL Wide Receiver - Players Rosters - National Football League - ESPN

I see Central Florida, Mizzou, T-Tech, Colorado State, Alcorn State, Fresno State, West Texas A&M, Monmouth, K-State, Cal-Poly, Vanderbilt, Hawaii, etc. Just for last name letters A and B..................but no Iowa, A through Z. I guess those are better football programs than Iowa.

None of the "programs are cyclical" guys wanna answer the question: WHY? Other B1G teams have WRs who aren't just extra blockers. Why not Iowa?

None of the "programs are cyclical" guys wanna answer the question: WHY? Other B1G teams have WRs who aren't just extra blockers. Why not Iowa?

Extra blocker that had more yards than your beloved Jones?
Extra blocker that was 11th in recieving yards (and led B1G)?
Extra blocker that was 7th in rec. TDs (and led B1G)?

Are you really this stupid or am I missing the act?

Name an NFL WR.

I see Central Florida, Mizzou, T-Tech, Colorado State, Alcorn State, Fresno State, West Texas A&M, Monmouth, K-State, Cal-Poly, Vanderbilt, Hawaii, etc. Just for last name letters A and B..................but no Iowa, A through Z. I guess those are better football programs than Iowa.

If the logical fallacy police are here, someone get Darth a freaking lawyer!

4-3a066hellovaderpt5-1.jpg

Texas is the only one I can think of. Remember, they didn't fall off a cliff until they tried to turn themselves into a smash mouth running team.

True enough... That's the only team that I'm aware of. Had actually forgotten they were a spread type team at one time. The one thing Texas had going for them was the wealth of talent they had/have at all positions, so I think they were able to sustain long term success vs. most of the other teams employing the spread offense.

It all starts in the trenches, speed will do very little without guys up front - offense or defense. You can do some tweaks to hide some issues, but it'll eventually get exposed and teams will figure it out.

Name an NFL WR.

Yep. I really see a lot of top ten BCS teams there... WOW! Dude, you really need to back off the hooch...

Extra blocker that had more yards than your beloved Jones?
Extra blocker that was 11th in recieving yards (and led B1G)?
Extra blocker that was 7th in rec. TDs (and led B1G)?

Are you really this stupid or am I missing the act?

ONE YEAR DOES NOT A PATTERN MAKE.

Yep. I really see a lot of top ten BCS teams there... WOW! Dude, you really need to back off the hooch...

If Alcorn State can send a WR to the NFL......or Kansas/K-State...why not Iowa? Does Iowa intentionally recruit/sign receivers that will not get drafted? Great pub, if so.

Iowa's offense sucks for WRs and the recruits know it. The kids do NOT come to Iowa because they have determined the system sucks.

That perception MUST change for Iowa to win these days. Or eliminate the WR position and just use more LB/TE stem cell players.

Name an NFL WR.

if so many small schools can get so many great receivers then why can't Iowa? Maybe it is because determining what a high school kid can do when they are in college is a crap shoot for some of the skill positions. If you look at the combine numbers very few receivers run under a 4.5 and those are guys you still never hear of for the most part. Getting to the NFL is a perfect storm of talent and coaching. I'm not saying Iowa can't do better at this, I just don't get the bashing of McNutt and saying he is so slow. If you actually watch the games you will realize he is open a lot, but Vandy doesn't get him the ball.

Iowa is starting to recruit better receivers and develop them. McNutt will be in the NFL. Then your above argument will be gone.

if so many small schools can get so many great receivers then why can't Iowa? Maybe it is because determining what a high school kid can do when they are in college is a crap shoot for some of the skill positions. If you look at the combine numbers very few receivers run under a 4.5 and those are guys you still never hear of for the most part. Getting to the NFL is a perfect storm of talent and coaching. I'm not saying Iowa can't do better at this, I just don't get the bashing of McNutt and saying he is so slow. If you actually watch the games you will realize he is open a lot, but Vandy doesn't get him the ball.

Iowa is starting to recruit better receivers and develop them. McNutt will be in the NFL. Then your above argument will be gone.

I HOPE you are right about my argument in the future. I hope they address this rather glaring deficiency.

Soup coached a lot of WRs at Michigan. I have yet to see the "michigan difference" he was supposed to make.

If Alcorn State can send a WR to the NFL......or Kansas/K-State...why not Iowa? Does Iowa intentionally recruit/sign receivers that will not get drafted? Great pub, if so.

Iowa's offense sucks for WRs and the recruits know it. The kids do NOT come to Iowa because they have determined the system sucks.

That perception MUST change for Iowa to win these days. Or eliminate the WR position and just use more LB/TE stem cell players.

you're an idiot. Greg Jennings didn't get recruited for some reason to a bigger school. Not his fault, but he's a rarity. Jordy Nelson same way at K State. Next year McNutt will be in the NFL.

Just because you don't think Iowa produces good WR doesn't mean they don't. Iowa has had quality receivers and done well in the passing game before. Mo Brown, CJ Jones, Hinkel, Solomon etc. have all been very good receivers at Iowa, they have helped Iowa be successful and have a good passing game. Are they NFL talents, no, but a lot of teams don't have NFL talent WR on their teams. A lot of it has to do with the QB. Iowa's receivers do get open a lot and Vandy just misses them.

Now, would I love to have a percy harvin, or randy moss type player, absolutely, but they are rare. To say no more receivers at Iowa is dumb.

you're giving examples of ONE player from those schools. when mcnutt is in the NFL, your argument becomes null and void

I HOPE you are right about my argument in the future. I hope they address this rather glaring deficiency.

Soup coached a lot of WRs at Michigan. I have yet to see the "michigan difference" he was supposed to make.

Seriously, if you don't think McNutt is the epidimy of Soup you don't know what you are talking about. I think the last few classes of recruits are the type of players that you will see Soup recruit. Big framed receivers that can block and catch, and show some speed. Very rare to see a short reciever for soup.

Latest posts