Should Big Ten Title Game Be Outdoors?

Isn't there a fine line between being "tough" and being "stupid"?

It would be hard to field a team for a bowl game when 1/2 are in the hospital recovering from pneumonia.

Let's just play the thing indoors.

Hard to believe the Patriots won all those Super Bowls with HALF of the team recovering from pneumonia.

Can't believe some people want to follow the SEC model. Gee let's recruit like the SEC does as well...insert NCAA investigation here.

Despite all the hoopla the Big Ten vs. SEC head to head is almost dead even over the last ten years. The Big Ten needs to be unique or we can put domes over all the Big Ten stadiums... last year that Iowa/Penn St. game in the rain was a downer and the Iowa/Michigan St. game in the cold was a boring affair. Have an identity and Lucas Field ain't it.

You guys keep overlooking the key point, and that is the reason for the championship game is to look as good as possible for pollsters and bowl scouts as possible and secure the best possible bowls. If there are three undefeated teams to end a season (or multiple one loss teams) we do NOT want a B10 title game to be played in Dec in Chicago. That field is attrocious. We don't want some 9-6 turnover fest in front of the whole world. It's bad for the teams involved, and bad for the B10 in general.

I'm all for football being played outside but this isn't really even debatable.

Hard to believe the Patriots won all those Super Bowls with HALF of the team recovering from pneumonia.

Can't believe some people want to follow the SEC model. Gee let's recruit like the SEC does as well...insert NCAA investigation here.

Despite all the hoopla the Big Ten vs. SEC head to head is almost dead even over the last ten years. The Big Ten needs to be unique or we can put domes over all the Big Ten stadiums... last year that Iowa/Penn St. game in the rain was a downer and the Iowa/Michigan St. game in the cold was a boring affair. Have an identity and Lucas Field ain't it.

Good points you make.
Furthermore, if the old addage "To the victor goes the spoils" means anything, one of the two schools playing in the B10 championship game should host the game.
Why have it somewhere else other than in a B10 stadium? Why give some other city all the economic windfall ? Makes absolutely no sense. If ANY of the aforementioned cities were to host a bowl game, who would go?? We make jokes about the Motor City bowl for crying out loud!....and now we want to play the B10 title game there?
Its simple: Odd years the east champ hosts, even years the west champ hosts. The host school is required sell half of the seats to the other school.
Its football season and for those who dont like the weather and cant stand to watch a boring football game in the cold, then maybe they should switch to something more exciting like soccer.

You guys keep overlooking the key point, and that is the reason for the championship game is to look as good as possible for pollsters and bowl scouts as possible and secure the best possible bowls. If there are three undefeated teams to end a season (or multiple one loss teams) we do NOT want a B10 title game to be played in Dec in Chicago. That field is attrocious. We don't want some 9-6 turnover fest in front of the whole world. It's bad for the teams involved, and bad for the B10 in general.

I'm all for football being played outside but this isn't really even debatable.
A voice of reason in a world of insanity. Who wants to watch a Big-10 championship game that looks like the PSU/LSU Cap-1 bowl? No thanks.

This is not the key point- the key point is to make money.

Regardless of what the media says, the Big Ten still looks good to the bowl scouts without a title game- maybe you can/do take a little bit of a hit from the pollsters though if the B10 champion is in question.

Last edited:
This is not the key point- the key point is to make money.

Regardless of what the media says, the Big Ten still looks good to the bowl scouts without a title game- maybe you can/do take a little bit of a hit from the pollsters though if the B10 champion is in question.

Yes money is important, however there is no difference in money between an indoors game versus an outdoors game.

Isn't there a fine line between being "tough" and being "stupid"?

It would be hard to field a team for a bowl game when 1/2 are in the hospital recovering from pneumonia.

Let's just play the thing indoors.

How cold is it going to be playing Minnesota the last week in November at TCF Bank? I would guess it won't be that much colder 1 week later in Chicago, Pittsburgh, Cleveland or Green Bay? Play it out doors.

It is either Chicago outside or Indy inside.

These are the only 2 reasonable choices for the Big 10

disagree- the money is always a factor in a discussion like this unless the title was "if money was no factor, should the big ten title game be outdoors". to your point though, it will be generated if it is played inside or out.

my general thought is this game will be indoors for many of the reasons mentioned such as taking the weather out of the equation and showcasing the best experience for a national TV audience and pollsters/bowl reps but my personal preference would still be to see it outdoors.

Soldier Field would be perfect. Love the outdoors aspect, and Chicago is such a melting pot of Big Ten alumni, not to mention an extremely fun town. A lotta people will want to arrive an extra day or two in advance of the game just to hang out and soak it in. Imagine snow falling during a game of that magnitude. Three words: totally awesome.

Soldier Field would be perfect. Love the outdoors aspect, and Chicago is such a melting pot of Big Ten alumni, not to mention an extremely fun town. A lotta people will want to arrive an extra day or two in advance of the game just to hang out and soak it in. Imagine snow falling during a game of that magnitude. Three words: totally awesome.

Three words: Unmitigated disaster. Soldier field is AWFUL as far as the turf goes. I've lived in Iowa my whole life and have been subject to waaaay to many terrible games in the awful NFC Norse in December/January.

Again the only way money plays into this argument is that the better bowls the teams go to the more money the conference gets. Put it in a dome and put on the best show possible. We are fans, we are going to watch and enjoy this game if were played on a glacier. What we need is for non fans who vote in the AP polls to watch a good game, and the best chance for that to happen is indoors.

Three words: Unmitigated disaster. Soldier field is AWFUL as far as the turf goes. I've lived in Iowa my whole life and have been subject to waaaay to many terrible games in the awful NFC Norse in December/January.

Again the only way money plays into this argument is that the better bowls the teams go to the more money the conference gets. Put it in a dome and put on the best show possible. We are fans, we are going to watch and enjoy this game if were played on a glacier. What we need is for non fans who vote in the AP polls to watch a good game, and the best chance for that to happen is indoors.
Hey Duff....when they finally decide to have this thing in Lucas Oil, and all the out-doors supporters refuse to go, that'll be cool, because that'll mean more selection of better seats when you and I go together!

Latest posts