Should Big Ten Title Game Be Outdoors?

Stadium sizes =
73,200 Browns Stadium, Cleveland
72,928 Lambeau Field, Green Bay
70,000 Lucas Oil Stadium, Indianapolis (expanded)
69,144 Lincoln Field, Philadelphia
66,965 Ed Jones Dome, Saint Louis
66,153 Lucas Oil Stadium, Indianapolis (standard)
65,790 Paul Brown Stadium, Cincinnati
65,050 Heinz Field, Pittburgh
64,500 Ford Field, Detroit
64,121 HHH Metrodome, Minneapolis
61,500 Soldier Field, Chicago

As much as I'd love to have the game in Chicago, Solider is just too small. For that matter, 70K is as small as I'd allow. And since Green Bay is out because the town is too small, and Phily is just too far east, that leaves Cleveland and Indianapolis.

I wouldn't mind Indy as a semi permanent home, but i like the idea of throwing other cities a bone once and a while, especially hard hit Cleveland and Detroit.
2012 Indy
2013 Chicago
2014 Indy
2015 Minneapolis (New indoor Stadium)
2016 Indy
2017 Cleveland
2018 Indy
2019 Detroit
2020 Indy
2021 Pittsburgh

I think this is a good idea. I like the idea of bringing it "home" every other year as well as the idea of different venues. I think that keeps a real wide variety of ppl doing the walk up purchase, sometimes it's closer to home, hey the B10 champ game is only a 2 1/2 hour drive lets do it; thing going on.

The Super Bowl is going to play outside in January, this is the big Ten, I hate dome Games. Soldier Field all the way. Come on it's the week after the Minnesota game, it's cold, but it's not miserable. Once every 5 years it's going to snow or be freezing, who cares.

I would vote indoors and a central location that anyone can reach. Maybe trial a few different arenas and then see who can come up with the best cash deal / TV deal to benefit the conference. I think the BTN should get rights but we would want to make sure the rest of the nation / pollsters can see the game easily as well with a side deal with ESPN or a network.

Has anyone thought about some good commentators to do the game vs some has been Lou Holtz dribble or Brent Mush head who loves the SEC?

Who would you like to see as commentators? I think putting Kirk Herbstreit / Anthony Herron in the booth that know the history would be great, bring in a couple big name ex big ten players and a knowledgable and decent looking female side line reporter and we have a team! As a bonus how about Eddie Podolak as the color man!

Of course the game should be OUTDOORS.
How many Big Ten stadiums are indoors?
Also, the game should be played at one of the two participating schools home stadiums. Which one..... should be decided by a coin flip.

I would vote indoors and a central location that anyone can reach. Maybe trial a few different arenas and then see who can come up with the best cash deal / TV deal to benefit the conference. I think the BTN should get rights but we would want to make sure the rest of the nation / pollsters can see the game easily as well with a side deal with ESPN or a network.

Has anyone thought about some good commentators to do the game vs some has been Lou Holtz dribble or Brent Mush head who loves the SEC?

Who would you like to see as commentators? I think putting Kirk Herbstreit / Anthony Herron in the booth that know the history would be great, bring in a couple big name ex big ten players and a knowledgable and decent looking female side line reporter and we have a team! As a bonus how about Eddie Podolak as the color man!

You do realize that Brent Musburger is an alum of a Big Ten school, right?

I like it. I think the championship game needs to be in an NFL stadium. A new location each year will be a new experience for the fans. Almost like a bowl game. Put it out for bids and make some extra cash for the conference.

I like it. I think the championship game needs to be in an NFL stadium. A new location each year will be a new experience for the fans. Almost like a bowl game. Put it out for bids and make some extra cash for the conference.

This bid idea is interesting... try and make it a selection event similar to the olympics... HA! No, but seriously... that could work. I'm up for rotating- I prefer the game outdoors but recognize the reasons for having it indoors.

Hey kid you have busted your hump all season, through injuries, through brutal cold, through rain and early this season 90+ degree days. You have earned a place in the championship game, congratulations! Here's your reward...-10 F with 40mph winds in a blizzard. Have Fun!

Hey kid you have busted your hump all season, through injuries, through brutal cold, through rain and early this season 90+ degree days. You have earned a place in the championship game, congratulations! Here's your reward...-10 F with 40mph winds in a blizzard. Have Fun!
Laff Hawkize. I guess we didn't prove to the world we're tough enough during the regular season huh?

Laff Hawkize. I guess we didn't prove to the world we're tough enough during the regular season huh?

Isn't there a fine line between being "tough" and being "stupid"?

It would be hard to field a team for a bowl game when 1/2 are in the hospital recovering from pneumonia.

Let's just play the thing indoors.

Isn't there a fine line between being "tough" and being "stupid"?

It would be hard to field a team for a bowl game when 1/2 are in the hospital recovering from pneumonia.

Let's just play the thing indoors.
Playing a spotlight game, at night, in December, in prime time, outdoors at Solder or Lambeau isn't stupid....it's way into the "$h!t-house rat crazy" category.

All these people on here who advocate drinking beer in zero degree weather to show the world how tough the Big-10 is wouldn't go to an outdoor venue anyway.

P.S. I don't hear anybody saying it's being a pu$$y because we play our Outback, Cap-1 and Orange bowl games in the south....have you?

Playing a spotlight game, at night, in December, in prime time, outdoors at Solder or Lambeau isn't stupid....it's way into the "$h!t-house rat crazy" category.

All these people on here who advocate drinking beer in zero degree weather to show the world how tough the Big-10 is wouldn't go to an outdoor venue anyway.

P.S. I don't hear anybody saying it's being a pu$$y because we play our Outback, Cap-1 and Orange bowl games in the south....have you?

You Preach--Me Choir!

I dont really care indoors or out, but that being said, if it is outside and the Hawks make it, go anyway....does anyone else remember how warm and balmy the Orange Bowl was? I wouldnt say we looked flat, slow or plodding there.....to reiterate an earlier thought, I LOVE the idea of the inaugural championship being played at Wrigley under the lights in the cold, sleet, snow, rain, hell fire or brimstone. and there is no such thing as bad beer drinking weather

Latest posts