Shooting slumps of marksmen and players under Fran

HaydenHawk56

Does it seem like we have that almost every year as well? Josh O, Ellingson come to mind. There is another one in there that is escaping my mind. Joe W now creeping in there.

What gives?

Fran needs to get JW going by getting him on some curls and taking it tto the rack. If he sees the ball go down a few, his stroke will return.

Has nothing to do with Fran.
But, could it be argued it can go back to that mental toughness stuff? I find it a bit troubling are gunslingers come up drawing blanks when the lights shine the brightest. For sure, shooting slumps happen to shooters, but it is frustrating it plagues our best when we really need them to be good.

But, could it be argued it can go back to that mental toughness stuff? I find it a bit troubling are gunslingers come up drawing blanks when the lights shine the brightest. For sure, shooting slumps happen to shooters, but it is frustrating it plagues our best when we really need them to be good.
Hayden, the problem with your conclusion is that Iowa has been a consistently tough, resilient team for most of the year. A couple of snowflakes don’t make a blizzard. To be clear, I am just as frustrated as you. Joe W. Has not been himself. Really hurts.

Hayden, the problem with your conclusion is that Iowa has been a consistently tough, resilient team for most of the year. A couple of snowflakes don’t make a blizzard. To be clear, I am just as frustrated as you. Joe W. Has not been himself. Really hurts.
As a team this year, no question, I agree for sure. Just wondering what plagues our allegedly best shooters from year to year (JBO aside)?

As a team this year, no question, I agree for sure. Just wondering what plagues our allegedly best shooters from year to year (JBO aside)?

I think Oglesby is really the only player who would go through huge slumps. Gesell is another whose shot seemed to fall apart, but he wasn't really a known shooter. As far as Wieskamp goes, it's starting to hit the point where it's going from an understandable few game slump to a season long slump. I heard a stat a few games ago where he was like 20% from 3 over 8bor so games. His percentage has dropped since then over the last 2 or 3 games. I'm curious to see how bad his slump is numbers wise now. Until a couple games ago I've still assumed his shot would fall every time he shoots it. Last game was probably the first one where I've been pessimistic when he shoots. This game is even a step further back where its straight up obvious its not going in as soon as he let's it go.

Fran has nothing to do with Joe being soft. Watch the games lately the kid disappears when things get physical. Grow a pair and start showing up. I love the kid but Fran needs to send a message, pussy foot around and you will ride the pine.

We can all be rest assured that Joe W will be in uniform for 2 more years and lets hope he gets his degree as well. Good kid, but if Adam Huluska had no shot at the NBA neither does Joe as he is half the athlete will similar skills.

If theyre not a threat to put it on the deck and attack off the dribble they're going to get crowded, bumped, and bodied. It's now up to Joe to counter adjust accordingly.

Joe is getting beat up physically. The last three teams have really done a number on him. But it wasn't that long ago that he threw down a monster dunk on someone.

We saw Devontae Green slump, then break out. Joe can do it.

Last edited:
Joe is having issues because he’s lost without CJ and Iowa only having 2 major scoring threats makes them easier to guard. This is a dumb thread. JO and Ellingson were never particularly good and while they were recruited to be sharp shooters, they were basically role player projects that didn’t pan out. Jok, what did Fran do to him? Jordan? CJ? Marble? Uthoff? Yeah this is dumb

I guess what strikes me is everyone is capable of the 3, I just wish those that are would take the shot. I've seen more opponents slack off of JT, Evelyn, Cmac. Now, yes, they've thrown some up and some have gone in, but 1st and foremost, they're trying to feed Garza. If it's not there, they need to be ready to shoot, or put the a ball on the deck and attack

Shooting slumps are as old as basketball, and it doesn't help that the team is short handed. It will play out, I suspect there is a 20 point game before regular season is over.

I mean, what program in the country ran by any coach, can you not cherry pick 2 role guys who were lightly recruited that didn't shoot well or pan out? ... and then try and compare them to one of the best players on the team and then totally leave out all the good shooters/players who came before him? Gatens, Jok, Uthoff, Marble, Jbo. Everyone goes through shooting slumps, even Steph Curry or Kobe Bryant, but what's really funny is trying to pin it on Fran and using Brady f'ing Ellingson and Josh Ogelsby as your test subjects.

Joe is having issues because he’s lost without CJ and Iowa only having 2 major scoring threats makes them easier to guard. This is a dumb thread. JO and Ellingson were never particularly good and while they were recruited to be sharp shooters, they were basically role player projects that didn’t pan out. Jok, what did Fran do to him? Jordan? CJ? Marble? Uthoff? Yeah this is dumb

Totally agree with you. The dumb narrative that Fran is doing something wrong, our teams FaDe! and that JW is "soft" is just plain dumb.

We need more scoring threats, and then things will open back up. Till, Pemsl, Evelyn, et al are wonderful and all, but we need more scoring threats. MSU is a good defense, and they only have to focus on a couple of players. It's uphill the whole way.

This is my take as well(CJ missing). Though it’s beyond fathomable how he only puts up 4pts in around 30min when you’re playing aside the flippin’ POY who is often getting triple, and even quadruple, teamed and still putting up 20+ every single night. Not only that but he was lost all over on the defensive end of the floor last night. His misses haven’t even really been close misses either. The other guys (Bakari, JT and Kreiner) have played really well lately, hiding how bad Joe has really been. Not sure how long that can continue.

Does it seem like we have that almost every year as well? Josh O, Ellingson come to mind. There is another one in there that is escaping my mind. Joe W now creeping in there.

What gives?

Tired legs, he seems to stumble at least once a game now driving to the basket. Now big time lack of confidence???

JW will find his stroke but maybe not until next year. He has 4 days to work on it.

Latest posts