Shooting slumps of marksmen and players under Fran

I think CJ being out is hurting Joe's ability to get more shots. But it's not the reason he's not even close when he does shoot. It's not the reason he gets out of control a lot when he tries to dribble. He's just in a slump, plain and simple. There doesn't need to be a hidden reason for him to be in a slump. Like someone else said, they're as old as basketball.

Put Joe on the floor with CJ and Luka and I imagine his slump would end. Put Joe on the floor with CJ, Luka and Jordan and he's probably 1st team All B1G. Right now, he's easy to guard and his looks aren't nearly what he was getting just a few weeks ago when Iowa was more difficult to guard. That's a hard adjustment for guys. He's being guarded like he's never been guarded before because he has less weapons around him. I think he'll adjust, but that's easier said then done IN season. Off season, I imagine he's got plenty of motivation and work to do to take his game to another level. I think he's already taken a nice step in his sophomore season and I expect and equal step next year.

He's in a slump no doubt, but he's in uncharted territory, let's see how he adjusts. I get the superlatives of "he'll never play in the NBA" and I am fine with that take, but I bet you'll wish you hadn't said that in a couple of years. I really do. I mean, Tyler Cook was never going to play in the NBA either. Gaza didn't have much room for growth. Connor wasn't good enough to be a P5 player. This team couldn't make the NCAA tournament... THIS year or LAST year. Just cause a poster says it doesn't really mean shit, it's just something to bite on for us dweebs.

IMO, judging JW off the past few weeks is kind of tough - look at his overall body of work. Chances are good that he'll end this slump and go off and get all of his numbers back up. Again, IMO

Confidence is a crazy thing, and you can tell he completely lost it during that game last night. Like he didn’t even want to get an open look at 3. I was very frustrated with Joe last night and the last few games.

With that said slumps do happen, the grind of this long B1G season and the high minute load might be taking its toll a bit. I’m not overly concerned because I do think Joe will get it figured out. I think in the NCAA tournament against non B1G opponents who won’t be allowed and aren’t used to playing as physical with Joe he will get back to his normal ways. Also with Fredrick drawing attention that will help him as others have mentioned.

Joe has been awesome for us the last two years and he will be huge for us going forward.

I would say this. Joe doesn’t necessarily have a killers mentality. He seems like a guy who likes to let the game come to him (that doesn’t mean he hasn’t had clutch moments either). That style doesn’t work as well when your team absolutely needs you to score but you are getting a ton of defensive attention.

CJF on the other hand you can just tell sometimes when he gets pissed he says give me that ball I’m getting a bucket. He has that killers mentality and he knows even sometimes a “bad” shot for him is actually a good shot for the team.

I’m glad we have both Joe and CJ but I do see why folks get frustrated a bit with Wieskamp’s demeanor / mentality on the floor.

If he doesn’t want to shoot it he has bigger issues
Yeah it's when it gets to that point when you have an issue for sure. Kinda seems like he does. If he could have gotten some calls maybe and gotten to the FT line more that may have helped him. I dunno what to think beyond I just hope he snaps out of it pretty dang quick. We aren't deep enough to not have him playing well. I'm surprised we even hung with MSU like that with him playing so poorly. It wasn't like Garza went nuts or anything either.

If theyre not a threat to put it on the deck and attack off the dribble they're going to get crowded, bumped, and bodied. It's now up to Joe to counter adjust accordingly.

Joe is getting beat up physically. The last three teams have really done a number on him. But it wasn't that long ago that he threw down a monster dunk on someone.

We saw Devontae Green slump, then break out. Joe can do it.
Hope so, we really need him.

Joe is having issues because he’s lost without CJ and Iowa only having 2 major scoring threats makes them easier to guard. This is a dumb thread. JO and Ellingson were never particularly good and while they were recruited to be sharp shooters, they were basically role player projects that didn’t pan out. Jok, what did Fran do to him? Jordan? CJ? Marble? Uthoff? Yeah this is dumb

Because Marble could hit in the clutch right? Uthoff was soft when it counted. Jordan has balls of steel (I credited him for that). CJ has earned his stripe thus far when he is playing. Not so dumb.

I mean, what program in the country ran by any coach, can you not cherry pick 2 role guys who were lightly recruited that didn't shoot well or pan out? ... and then try and compare them to one of the best players on the team and then totally leave out all the good shooters/players who came before him? Gatens, Jok, Uthoff, Marble, Jbo. Everyone goes through shooting slumps, even Steph Curry or Kobe Bryant, but what's really funny is trying to pin it on Fran and using Brady f'ing Ellingson and Josh Ogelsby as your test subjects.

But, but they were suppose to be sharp-shooting experts recruited for that specific role. They were better at building houses with all of their bricks. Joe has been getting union card in that trait as well of late. Fran recruits these guys and his staff helps develop them.

And, I have noted above, shooting slumps do happen. My argument is, we have a fair share of them with our "best shooters" year in and year out when we need them the most. Hopefully he can get his act together because we need consistent outside shooting not just at Carver.

Last edited:
Because Marble could hit in the clutch right? Uthoff was soft when it counted. Jordan has balls of steel (I credited him for that). CJ has earned his stripe thus far when he is playing. Not so dumb.

No, it's still pretty dumb and I don't use that word lightly. I also don't mean to offend you when I say it. I just think you are not giving a full picture look at this and you're trying to pin it on Fran for some weird reason. My biggest issue is the statement about a couple of "has been/never was" players in the program to help prove your point. You are using Josh Ogelsby and Brady Ellingson as your test subjects to compare to Joe Weiskamp. GTFO. 2 also ran recruits who never really panned out at Iowa who don't play near the same role as Joe. I think you should compare him to what he is. The teams top threat from deep and best player ( I realize Luka is our best player). Uthoff shot 38% from deep his senior year and was 2nd team All American. He was a our sharp shooter. Jok shot 38% from deep his senior year and was first team All B1G. Marble shot 35% from 3 his senior season and was All B1G 1st team. Jordan Bohannon, shot 38% last year and even less this year. They are all shooters who take as many attempts as Joe would and does. JO and BE NOT even close. Those are the players we should compare him too. All 4 of those guys went on slumps. That's comparable. Joe Wieskamp is a sophomore shooting 35% from deep on the season, he will rebound cause that's what shooters do. Hard to blame Fran for it, especially how you laid it out. If you want to blame Fran for ever having Ogelsby or Ellingson on ship- I could get behind that take.

No, it's still pretty dumb and I don't use that word lightly. I also don't mean to offend you when I say it. I just think you are not giving a full picture look at this and you're trying to pin it on Fran for some weird reason. My biggest issue is the statement about a couple of "has been/never was" players in the program to help prove your point. You are using Josh Ogelsby and Brady Ellingson as your test subjects to compare to Joe Weiskamp. GTFO. 2 also ran recruits who never really panned out at Iowa who don't play near the same role as Joe. I think you should compare him to what he is. The teams top threat from deep and best player ( I realize Luka is our best player). Uthoff shot 38% from deep his senior year and was 2nd team All American. He was a our sharp shooter. Jok shot 38% from deep his senior year and was first team All B1G. Marble shot 35% from 3 his senior season and was All B1G 1st team. Jordan Bohannon, shot 38% last year and even less this year. They are all shooters who take as many attempts as Joe would and does. JO and BE NOT even close. Those are the players we should compare him too. All 4 of those guys went on slumps. That's comparable. Joe Wieskamp is a sophomore shooting 35% from deep on the season, he will rebound cause that's what shooters do. Hard to blame Fran for it, especially how you laid it out. If you want to blame Fran for ever having Ogelsby or Ellingson on ship- I could get behind that take.

Now I can remember that other brickmasters name.....Devan Bawinkel......but that was not a Fran recruit. Man that guy built mansions.

My point, is exactly that. He recruits these players and his staff is responsible for their development (to a certain extent). And, when the lights are the brightest, our shooters disappear...especially when not at Carver. Totally frustrating.

Now I can remember that other brickmasters name.....Devan Bawinkel......but that was not a Fran recruit. Man that guy built mansions.

My point, is exactly that. He recruits these players and his staff is responsible for their development (to a certain extent). And, when the lights are the brightest, our shooters disappear...especially when not at Carver. Totally frustrating.

He's recruited a lot worse players than JO and BE. Just like most other teams in the nation. You can't hit on all of them. Fran's teams are known for slumping on defense, not offense. Our 2nd best player is slumping and we are still the best offense in the Big 10. I'm going to agree with InGoodCo that this isn't really a good criticism of Fran.

He's recruited a lot worse players than JO and BE. Just like most other teams in the nation. You can't hit on all of them. Fran's teams are known for slumping on defense, not offense. Our 2nd best player is slumping and we are still the best offense in the Big 10. I'm going to agree with InGoodCo that this isn't really a good criticism of Fran.

I don't think I'm pilling heavy on Fran here persay. Just saying this is a recurrent offensive issue under this staff.

I don't think I'm pilling heavy on Fran here persay. Just saying this is a recurrent offensive issue under this staff.

I would say that when Fran's team slump shooting, they slump REALLY bad. That seems to happen. I don't know what the cause of it is. I just don't like lumping JW in with a couple of guys who weren't on the same level. JW is basically our franchise player, (yes I know Luka is too)

As I said after the game, Iowa just doesn't have the horses to finish, even against a really not great MSU team. Winston is a senior, and he took over and was determined that they were not losing. What I don't understand, JT had Winston pretty much in check 1st half, 1 point.....I realize he's a freshman, but damn it to hell, keep him in there. At least he shot open shots, and he's a gamer. Could've made more of a difference IMO. Evelyn was getting burned bad on defense trying to defend him.

Fran has a damn good, gritty team out there. I feel when we get Frederick back things will be better. I still like being towards the top than towards the bottom

Yeah it's when it gets to that point when you have an issue for sure. Kinda seems like he does. If he could have gotten some calls maybe and gotten to the FT line more that may have helped him. I dunno what to think beyond I just hope he snaps out of it pretty dang quick. We aren't deep enough to not have him playing well. I'm surprised we even hung with MSU like that with him playing so poorly. It wasn't like Garza went nuts or anything either.
His shooting mechanics aren’t very good . Kind of herky jerky . A lot of wasted motion . Not fluid at all. Plus he isn’t athletic enough to go around people at this level . At 6’6 he shouldn’t have to do this slow motion bend the knees too much thing .

Confidence is a crazy thing, and you can tell he completely lost it during that game last night. Like he didn’t even want to get an open look at 3. I was very frustrated with Joe last night and the last few games.

With that said slumps do happen, the grind of this long B1G season and the high minute load might be taking its toll a bit. I’m not overly concerned because I do think Joe will get it figured out. I think in the NCAA tournament against non B1G opponents who won’t be allowed and aren’t used to playing as physical with Joe he will get back to his normal ways. Also with Fredrick drawing attention that will help him as others have mentioned.

Joe has been awesome for us the last two years and he will be huge for us going forward.

I feel like that for sure...he's been nothing short of great for Iowa for 2 years and frankly for the last 6 years that I've known about him, he's played elite basketball. Now he slumps for 2 fricking weeks and there's the "not good enough for the NBA".... I get that this topic is a talking point for our players among fans but I've never really understood the rush to label our players something and weirdly enough, we typically label them with a negative light.

Luka's outside shot was AWOL against MSU and he still put up 20 pts. Joe needs to drive more and shoot the mid range shot if the 3's aren't falling. Instead, he just disappeared.

I feel like that for sure...he's been nothing short of great for Iowa for 2 years and frankly for the last 6 years that I've known about him, he's played elite basketball. Now he slumps for 2 fricking weeks and there's the "not good enough for the NBA".... I get that this topic is a talking point for our players among fans but I've never really understood the rush to label our players something and weirdly enough, we typically label them with a negative light.
It’s really weird. We got posters on here saying he’s average like he’s a dime a dozen. The kid came in last year as a freshman started every game was a 1st Team All Freshman player. This year he’s averaging over 15 in B1G play.

Despite that everyone is focused on his shortcomings or how he might not make the NBA. I’ve pointed out his shortcomings too but I understand how valuable that kid has been to this program.

I think if you did a comparison of what guys have done in their first two years on campus in the Fran era Wieskamp is the leader in the clubhouse. Do people forget he’s a sophomore?

I think the problem for Joe and the same thing happened to Cook is the high expectations ended up working against him, along with the NBA talk. Joe is an absolute stud

Last edited:
I would say that when Fran's team slump shooting, they slump REALLY bad. That seems to happen. I don't know what the cause of it is. I just don't like lumping JW in with a couple of guys who weren't on the same level. JW is basically our franchise player, (yes I know Luka is too)

I think the people who say Iowa's shooting slumps are worse than other teams must only watch iowa play. It makes sense because most teams shoot lights out against us. But truth is, all teams go through slumps.

Joe is having issues because he’s lost without CJ and Iowa only having 2 major scoring threats makes them easier to guard. This is a dumb thread. JO and Ellingson were never particularly good and while they were recruited to be sharp shooters, they were basically role player projects that didn’t pan out. Jok, what did Fran do to him? Jordan? CJ? Marble? Uthoff? Yeah this is dumb

Yes and CM is in that equation and dumb to think otherwise.

Latest posts