Shockers Drop Hawks, Expose Flaws

You know it's going to happen, but it sure is interesting to see when the fringe folks start jumping off the wagon.

#NCAA2014

I am honestly shocked. It boggles the mind. The same people, literally, who argued with me that it was a good thing we had to come back from a 23 point deficit to Gardner-Webb are now telling us that this team has a ton of flaws.

Guess what brainiacs, this team's flaws were exposed half way through the second game they played. They'll get better, but you can't expect the world right away.

On every Shocker block we simply took the ball to the basket and the shot was blocked. Whatever happened to the fake. Get the defender off his feet and jump into him while shooting the ball and almost every time it results in a foul, if not both a basket and a foul. I don't think we faked a shot before shooting the entire game......

Might have made a difference. At any rate we were not going to go undefeated this season. If we did we would be national champions. Wichita State is a very good team that is quick and tough. We were not prepared. Having Gesell and Woody on the bench did not help.....

Remember, Lads, a fake is a good thing and can lead to better things.....

Aaron White is not comfortable in his new position drifting around the wings. The three is not his basic weapon......

The Shockers certainly took us out of our uptempo game.....

Woodbury is not quick. Gesell is not quicker than most upper half D1 point guards. Hawks were only up at the half because they only missed something like 1 of 10 three balls. The score was misleading, but not the direction you think.

Um...did you happen to see how many open shots we missed?! Make just a couple of those and the game is considerably different.

Bogus fouls were another reason this did not go in our direction. MG & Woody got hosed. Including a couple fouls where they did not even touch the other player. Losing MG for much of that game hurt us significantly.

We are a much better shooting team than 26%. I think we will end the season shooting around 45%. Right now we are close to 40% on the young season. That will improve. As will the overall play of the Hawkeyes. Bring on VaTech!

But did you not see how many open shots we made in the first half. We had 1.....ONE in the paint basket in the first half.

Even if you are nailing 3's ONE paint basket in the half is not the sign of a healthy team.

Mikey will be a fine player. He also didn't get minutes as he didn't figure out weakside defensive help.

Last edited by a moderator:
"That’s Iowa’s ceiling this year and while I pegged Iowa to lose to Wichita State in this game before the season and felt they’d be 5-1 leaving Cancun, which they are, the way in which Wichita State beat Iowa is a little disheartening."

Didn't Iowa have the ball with a couple minutes left and down just 2 possessions? The final score is misleading.

Gesell and Woodbury need to use their quickness to move around the bigger guys. They'll learn and this game against the Shockers was a good test. Wichita State would be in the top 5 teams in the Big Ten. I still think Iowa will go 10-8 in the conference this year.

You cannot possibly think that Woodbury is quick. Can you? He might be the most deliberate post player on the planet right now. Quickness is clearly NOT part of his game.

I am honestly shocked. It boggles the mind. The same people, literally, who argued with me that it was a good thing we had to come back from a 23 point deficit to Gardner-Webb are now telling us that this team has a ton of flaws.

Guess what brainiacs, this team's flaws were exposed half way through the second game they played. They'll get better, but you can't expect the world right away.

you can't be shocked? we went through this same crap last year. folks like HawkForce lost their minds and went off the deep end. though only on this message board have i seen such unrealistic expectations. i come across a ton of Hawk b-ball fans and very few think the Dance is even possible this year.

that's message boards, right? ;)

My biggest dissapointment this year is Woody. He was so hyped during recruiment. Is his best going to be a Lohas or Sondeliter? He had 1 point???

Latest posts