Shateah Wetering in Portal

The only way Betts doesn't come to Iowa is if she knows she doesn't have the hands to handle Clark's passes.

At the end of the day money talks and bullshit walks, though. If there are big time donors seeing the national attention and fanfare blowing up bigger than men’s basketball ever has and wanting us to stay there, it’s gonna happen.

Not saying I don't agree with the few of you, just saying knowing Bluder she is never going to go down that path, right or wrong. I just don't see her ever releasing a player from scholarship unless a player does something wrong.

Telling a player they aren’t going to get PT is basically pushing them out the door. How is it not?
In most cases that is true. But there are sometimes special cases where a bench player is content to never leave Iowa. Maybe they are a lifetime Iowa fan and want to finish here. Maybe their boyfriend and all her good friends all go to Iowa. Maybe they want to go to Iowa med school, or Iowa law school some day.

Any way you slice it, it can be a tough convo, and can be spun by someone. Have a honest conversation with a kid and letting them know their future playing time is going to be limited with the program's success. Someone could easily see that as pushing a lesser talented player out.

Fry is not wrong. When you look at sports programs, it's about winning and success. It would be definitely not a convo I would want to have with a kid. I'm sure at the end of the season, coaches sit with kids and assess their growth and set goals for the next season.

One would hope that an athlete on scholly might see the writing on the wall and if their desire is more playing time (and it doesn't look plausible) they move on. My hope is we land HVL or Betts. I also hope O'Grady and Stuelke see potential opportunities to grab a starting role or more playing time and bust their butts to improve their game.

As for Bluder, I have a hard time seeing her completely pushing a kid out. These kids were recruited and came to Iowa because they apparently fit our mold and the coaching staff saw something in them.

Better be careful on that move. Still sayin’
If you’re a D-1 athlete you’ve already had the conversation about zero playing time being guaranteed. That’s part of the deal getting there. If an athlete at that level—male or female—can’t handle those realities it’s on them. Hurt feelings aren’t a concern of a coach when it comes to playing time. In the era of the portal it’s a coach’s job to get the best players on the roster as possible every year as long as they don’t have character issues. It’s not to make sure everyone’s happy. Hell that’s even true at the high school varsity level.

I’m not saying kick someone off the team. I’m saying be honest with player XYZ and tell him or her that they are most likely going to ride the pine, and if they want more secure playing time it’d probably be best to try some different programs. If they wanna hang around more power to them.

Latest posts