Shateah Wetering in Portal

Good luck to her. The knee injury kind of derailed her development, but she has flashed some potential. I could see her doing some really good things in a new setting.

Sounds like Betts isn’t considering Iowa, seems odd, but would like Iowa to really push for the DePaul player. She seems like the underdog player Iowa likes. Sounds like a rebounding machine.

Betts Inspired by Caitlin Clark and Hawkeyes’ March Madness Run​

So why is Betts considering a transfer to Iowa? The answer may lie in the Hawkeyes’ inspiring run to the national championship game in this season’s March Madness. Led by star player Caitlin Clark and her talented teammates, Iowa showcased an exciting brand of basketball that captured the attention of fans and players alike.

In contrast to her limited playing time at Stanford, Betts could potentially find a more prominent role within Iowa’s women’s basketball program, allowing her to showcase her skills and dominate on the court. The Hawkeyes have a history of developing talented post players and providing them with the opportunity to shine on the national stage.

Iowa’s renowned reputation for player development and supportive coaching staff, led by head coach Lisa Bluder, could be an appealing factor for Betts. Bluder has a proven track record of nurturing young talent and guiding them to success both on and off the court.

The above copy and paste is a few days old, (Basketball Insider, written by David Evans) but what have you seen or heard that causes you to say Betts is not interested in being fed by Clark?

Dang.
Answer my own question with this from Chad Leistikow today:

There has been a lot of interest around the portal entry of 6-foot-7 Stanford post player Lauren Betts, a former No. 1 national recruit who played with Clark on Team USA in 2019. But the word is that Betts, for now, prefers other schools. So, Iowa may need to look elsewhere.

Maybe Betts was not interested because Iowa did not have any scholarships available when she was first looking at all her options.

If UCLA is the front runner, she must like playing in front of about 2-3 thousand people. Hard to host with that kind of attendance. Hopefully this is just a smokescreen or NIL raising move and she plans to go to Iowa. Moving from Stanford to UCLA seems lIke such a lateral move for her.

I'm all for being honest with players and not stringing them along, but I'm not in favor of pushing people out. It's a fine line, I know, but word spreads quickly.

I'm all for being honest with players and not stringing them along, but I'm not in favor of pushing people out. It's a fine line, I know, but word spreads quickly.
Then you aren't ever going to be even close to a consistent top tier team.

When Clark leaves, if we haven't added big time players via the portal and NIL Iowa will go back to an above average but not great team overnight. Word spreading isn't going to mean much because all top tier teams do it, mens and womens. As @Glass1/2fullguy mentioned above, it's been the same thing with the mens side at Iowa, the difference being the men weren't natty contenders whatsoever and the women are right now. Need to strike while the iron's hot for the good of the team over individual players, and be honest with those "bubble" players. Show them the writing on the wall and let them read/decide what they want to do, this ain't rec ball anymore. Their scholarship is still valid if they want to stay and finish school from the bench.

Betts Inspired by Caitlin Clark and Hawkeyes’ March Madness Run​

So why is Betts considering a transfer to Iowa? The answer may lie in the Hawkeyes’ inspiring run to the national championship game in this season’s March Madness. Led by star player Caitlin Clark and her talented teammates, Iowa showcased an exciting brand of basketball that captured the attention of fans and players alike.

In contrast to her limited playing time at Stanford, Betts could potentially find a more prominent role within Iowa’s women’s basketball program, allowing her to showcase her skills and dominate on the court. The Hawkeyes have a history of developing talented post players and providing them with the opportunity to shine on the national stage.

Iowa’s renowned reputation for player development and supportive coaching staff, led by head coach Lisa Bluder, could be an appealing factor for Betts. Bluder has a proven track record of nurturing young talent and guiding them to success both on and off the court.

The above copy and paste is a few days old, (Basketball Insider, written by David Evans) but what have you seen or heard that causes you to say Betts is not interested in being fed by Clark?

Betts should certainly be intrigued at the prospect of playing with Caitlin who is the most
accomplished player in college basketball passing the ball inside for easy baskets

She will be able to catch and shoot without dribbling most of the time

Her passes to Monica in the paint and her teammates on a fast break are perfect and a pleasure to
watch

She would compliment Caitlin and the Hawks quite nicely

:cool:

Then you aren't ever going to be even close to a consistent top tier team.

When Clark leaves, if we haven't added big time players via the portal and NIL Iowa will go back to an above average but not great team overnight. Word spreading isn't going to mean much because all top tier teams do it, mens and womens. As @Glass1/2fullguy mentioned above, it's been the same thing with the mens side at Iowa, the difference being the men weren't natty contenders whatsoever and the women are right now. Need to strike while the iron's hot for the good of the team over individual players, and be honest with those "bubble" players. Show them the writing on the wall and let them read/decide what they want to do, this ain't rec ball anymore. Their scholarship is still valid if they want to stay and finish school from the bench.
As evidenced by the last line of your response, that's not pushing them out the door to me. Like I said, it's a fine line between showing them the writing on the wall and letting them decide vs. you have to leave, there's the door (or the next level, pulling a scholly or putting someone on medical hardship when you know they can recover (Saban)).

The first is often actually doing them a service and they go on to better careers elsewhere (former Hawkeye QB's who've gone on to success elsewhere). The second shows no concern for the student/athlete...don't need you, your future doesn't concern me. Pretty sure that's the opposite of what the coaches are selling in family living rooms (and Zoom calls).

You may not be a multi-time champion, but I think you can get to and stay top-tier without resorting to the second approach.

Bluder has to have a difficult conversation with 2-3 young ladies on her roster. She is going to have to push some people out.

That's is not Bluder's style.............at all. Not gunna happen, unless it's the player's choice. We don't have a Kim Malarkey here at Iowa.

That's is not Bluder's style.............at all. Not gunna happen, unless it's the player's choice. We don't have a Kim Malarkey here at Iowa.
At the end of the day money talks and bullshit walks, though. If there are big time donors seeing the national attention and fanfare blowing up bigger than men’s basketball ever has and wanting us to stay there, it’s gonna happen.

As evidenced by the last line of your response, that's not pushing them out the door to me. Like I said, it's a fine line between showing them the writing on the wall and letting them decide vs. you have to leave, there's the door (or the next level, pulling a scholly or putting someone on medical hardship when you know they can recover (Saban)).

The first is often actually doing them a service and they go on to better careers elsewhere (former Hawkeye QB's who've gone on to success elsewhere). The second shows no concern for the student/athlete...don't need you, your future doesn't concern me. Pretty sure that's the opposite of what the coaches are selling in family living rooms (and Zoom calls).

You may not be a multi-time champion, but I think you can get to and stay top-tier without resorting to the second approach.
Telling a player they aren’t going to get PT is basically pushing them out the door. How is it not?

Latest posts