Seriously?

BigD

From the article on Hawkeye Nation on the Minnesota loss;

The Hawkeyes play host to Northwestern on Tuesday, and McCaffery knows his team has work to do on defense.

“It’s something I think we have to figure out,” he said. “We have to be better than that. Our defense has to be better.”

Hey Fran how long have you been here at Iowa? You just figured that out?

Maybe you could get some pointers from the last Iowa Basketball Coach. Seems he understood playing defense. It was the only thing he seemed to understand?

I felt like JT was playing ahead of JBo late in the 2nd half at Minnesota. Are we going to start trending in a different direction? Is Murray next? Will Ulis and Perkins get at least a look? I have no idea. But it’s not out of the question.

Fran: a 3-2 defense puts an extra man on the perimeter against outside shooting. With Luka and Nunge/Murray inside to handle the rebounding, try it for a change after a timeout, when NW (second in the conf. in hitting 3's at 10.0 a game- we are first, 10.7) has a red-hot shooter. You don't have to stay in it, just change defenses once in a while.
A 1-3-1 is also a good defense once in a while.
Any stats on what % of the games we play a 2-3 zone? 90%? Eventually, teams figure that out.

From the article on Hawkeye Nation on the Minnesota loss;

The Hawkeyes play host to Northwestern on Tuesday, and McCaffery knows his team has work to do on defense.

“It’s something I think we have to figure out,” he said. “We have to be better than that. Our defense has to be better.”

Hey Fran how long have you been here at Iowa? You just figured that out?

Maybe you could get some pointers from the last Iowa Basketball Coach. Seems he understood playing defense. It was the only thing he seemed to understand?

LOL!! Fran's a little sl.............ow to the party!

Sports has changed quite a bit in basketball and football since I was a kid. Used to be you were expected to play up in someone’s jersey. If you lost your guy you would get bench blisters.

Sports has changed quite a bit in basketball and football since I was a kid. Used to be you were expected to play up in someone’s jersey. If you lost your guy you would get bench blisters.
Perhaps they no longer teach the "A" word on defense. Anticipate.

I felt like JT was playing ahead of JBo late in the 2nd half at Minnesota. Are we going to start trending in a different direction? Is Murray next? Will Ulis and Perkins get at least a look? I have no idea. But it’s not out of the question.
I agree. JT got the nod.

I agree. JT got the nod.
Trending?
Perhaps, if others got to play more minutes and with it obtained experience, we wouldn't be too tired at the end of the game to play defense. Just a thought.

Am I crazy or did Fran used to get a bunch of shit for changing defense too often? Did he stop doing that?

Am I crazy or did Fran used to get a bunch of shit for changing defense too often? Did he stop doing that?
I thought is was the offense that he got criticized for doing that. He played so many players on offense that is was difficult to build any chemistry which also made it hard for player roles to be developed.

I thought is was the offense that he got criticized for doing that. He played so many players on offense that is was difficult to build any chemistry which also made it hard for player roles to be developed.
Well that too. But people were also saying he plays too many defenses to perfect one.

Officiating has changed a lot since then too. If they played defense now like we did in the 90s everybody would be fouled out in 5 minutes.

There were several of on this board trying to convince Fran that he needed to hire a new assistant coach who specialized in trying to prevent opposing teams from putting the basketball in our basket at less than the rate at which Wilt Chamberlain went through women.

Fran, based on his body of work, declined to do so. Where is Gary Barta...he's messing up the bowl system right now. Barta should have demanded it.

Latest posts