Serious thought on our offense

I think you are right. I think there is a game plan on offense and that thing gets rolled out 2.5 or 3 quarters until we really start dragging our ass.

I mean that year O'Keefe orchestrated the comeback against Pitt was a remarkable display of offense. Then, it got put away.

The Ohio St. game 2 years ago it seemed the coaches realized from the git go that their back were against the wall and threw caution to the wind and said F it, and just let Stanley go. I truly believe that.

We saw how well the offense performed in the second half against Wisconsin. That means we will do the opposite on Saturday. KF literally seems to do the opposite of what works on offense. It's the thing that drives me the most crazy about him. The offense performs better when Stanley is operating at a quicker pace and has less time to think.

Playing conservative when you have an offense that struggles inside the redzone is about as big a chance as a team can take. If I'm constantly handcuffed in the redzone the way we have been, I think I'm taking less of a risk (in terms of putting points on the board) trying to get behind the defense between the 20s then I am being "conservative" and having no answer for the opposing defense when their backs are against the wall and they need a stop.

If it's basketball and a team struggles in the half court game they try to push the pace and get easy transition baskets. I simply can't understand how a coaching staff can be content with a methodology that completely contradicts itself. Playing conservatively works if you have an offense capable of finishing drives inside the redzone and not stalling out and settling for field goals.

Whether conservative or not you have to periodically try to stretch the field. Not only to open things up a bit, but simply to get players in positions where they have the opportunity to beat a guy 1 v 1.

I would be interested to see a psychologists interpretation of Kirk Ferentz. Is it narcissism? is is sociopath-ism? No where in sports does someone command so much power, get away with it, and refuse to follow the norm. He doesn't allow coaches ie. his son, Greg Davis, to actually run the offense, even though it's terrible. He puts players in the dog house, even though they haven't overtly gone against the program's moral. He has played players, obviously less skilled then others, to a fault. Media, fans, pundits, announcers all see and the style of play is vanilla, outdated, and boring, yet he ignores it (and loses). He has no problem not changing a game plan in order to win a game. When he is forced out of his methodology, it works much more often then not, yet still goes back to the norm...ITS INSANE.

I would be interested to see a psychologists interpretation of Kirk Ferentz. Is it narcissism? is is sociopath-ism? No where in sports does someone command so much power, get away with it, and refuse to follow the norm. He doesn't allow coaches ie. his son, Greg Davis, to actually run the offense, even though it's terrible. He puts players in the dog house, even though they haven't overtly gone against the program's moral. He has played players, obviously less skilled then others, to a fault. Media, fans, pundits, announcers all see and the style of play is vanilla, outdated, and boring, yet he ignores it (and loses). He has no problem not changing a game plan in order to win a game. When he is forced out of his methodology, it works much more often then not, yet still goes back to the norm...ITS INSANE.

Definition of insane: doing the exact same thing over and over againk endlessly, but expecting a different result

I firmly believe Kirk is the driver of the offense. When we get behind he let's Brian drive and we perform. Kirk is happy to play an ugly 1970's NFL game. So, does Brian say give me the keys dad, you are too old to drive? If not does Brian leave to prove to Hawk fans he can call plays and take over?
Last Saturday we were 1 for 9 on third down. To make it worse, most 3rd downs were manageable meaning less than 10 yards. The question is who is at fault

Stanley and his erratic accuracy or the play calling, or both

It is much simpler than that. We need to go to more mobile QB’s but not Martinize types who end up injured . We have good wide receivers and running backs, but need to reload on TE’s. And, our O line recruiting and maybe coaching must improve. That would do it.
Mobile QBs are unpredictable, too much risk. Better if they stand in one spot. At least you know the general area where they will hit the ground.

He isn't insane: passive aggressive, stubborn, power...and a personal score keeper.

Latest posts