Serious thought on our offense

loesshillshawk

I firmly believe Kirk is the driver of the offense. When we get behind he let's Brian drive and we perform. Kirk is happy to play an ugly 1970's NFL game. So, does Brian say give me the keys dad, you are too old to drive? If not does Brian leave to prove to Hawk fans he can call plays and take over?

I firmly believe Kirk is the driver of the offense. When we get behind he let's Brian drive and we perform. Kirk is happy to play an ugly 1970's NFL game. So, does Brian say give me the keys dad, you are too old to drive? If not does Brian leave to prove to Hawk fans he can call plays and take over?

I think you are right. I think there is a game plan on offense and that thing gets rolled out 2.5 or 3 quarters until we really start dragging our ass.

I mean that year O'Keefe orchestrated the comeback against Pitt was a remarkable display of offense. Then, it got put away.

It's a safe guess that Iowa's offensive game-planning is a team effort between son and father. It's a fact that they have tried to modernize the offense somewhat with more shotgun and TE looks this year. It obviously hasn't been enough. If I'm the A.D. I go to KF and 'strongly suggest' the following changes:
1) Reduce OKeefe's salary from $600,000/yr to $300,000/yr. That's a ridiculous and unnecessary amount to pay a QB coach.
2) Reduce BF's salary due to offensive performance in BTen games to this point, and restructure the offensive staff both responsibility-wise and financially (along with the OKeefe change above) to create:
a) a high-level passing game coordinator; and
b) a running game coordinator;
c) and whatever other skill position coaches are needed.
The offense needs new blood from outside, fresh ideas -- especially as it relates to misdirection and a willingness to use different personnel for different situations offensively. (MN's use of a running QB in 3rd and short situations to kick Wisconsin's butt in Madison last year and to get a key 3rd down conversion yesterday vs Penn St. just 2 quick examples.)
There is a systemic problem with the offense vs quality teams. It can be addressed. It should be.

It's a safe guess that Iowa's offensive game-planning is a team effort between son and father. It's a fact that they have tried to modernize the offense somewhat with more shotgun and TE looks this year. It obviously hasn't been enough. If I'm the A.D. I go to KF and 'strongly suggest' the following changes:
1) Reduce OKeefe's salary from $600,000/yr to $300,000/yr. That's a ridiculous and unnecessary amount to pay a QB coach.
2) Reduce BF's salary due to offensive performance in BTen games to this point, and restructure the offensive staff both responsibility-wise and financially (along with the OKeefe change above) to create:
a) a high-level passing game coordinator; and
b) a running game coordinator;
c) and whatever other skill position coaches are needed.
The offense needs new blood from outside, fresh ideas -- especially as it relates to misdirection and a willingness to use different personnel for different situations offensively. (MN's use of a running QB in 3rd and short situations to kick Wisconsin's butt in Madison last year and to get a key 3rd down conversion yesterday vs Penn St. just 2 quick examples.)
There is a systemic problem with the offense vs quality teams. It can be addressed. It should be.
It is much simpler than that. We need to go to more mobile QB’s but not Martinize types who end up injured . We have good wide receivers and running backs, but need to reload on TE’s. And, our O line recruiting and maybe coaching must improve. That would do it.

I think Kirk's game plan is the same for a lot of coaches. Play conservative. Don't take too many chances. Work the field position. Eat up the clock. Be close in the 4th quarter. If you get a lead. Sit on it. Clock management.

All those things work great against a team like Middle Tennessee State but against a talented team like Penn State, Michigan or Wisconsin it doesn't work.

One of the reasons Iowa beat Ohio State a few years ago was because; 1. They got early success 2. They didn't play as expected.

My problem with the Wisconsin game was that Iowa had 2 weeks to prepare and they showed up for 3 quarters trying the same game plan that has failed them so many times in the past.

I think Kirk's game plan is the same for a lot of coaches. Play conservative. Don't take too many chances. Work the field position. Eat up the clock. Be close in the 4th quarter. If you get a lead. Sit on it. Clock management.

All those things work great against a team like Middle Tennessee State but against a talented team like Penn State, Michigan or Wisconsin it doesn't work.

One of the reasons Iowa beat Ohio State a few years ago was because; 1. They got early success 2. They didn't play as expected.

My problem with the Wisconsin game was that Iowa had 2 weeks to prepare and they showed up for 3 quarters trying the same game plan that has failed them so many times in the past.

I find I get much more satisfaction banging my head against a brick wall, than watching Iowa FB

this year is turning into Iowa being historically bad on offense when you look at yards per play, rush and scoring offense. You might actually see Brian and KF open things up just out of necessity

It is much simpler than that. We need to go to more mobile QB’s but not Martinize types who end up injured . We have good wide receivers and running backs, but need to reload on TE’s. And, our O line recruiting and maybe coaching must improve. That would do it.
Who is responsible for recruiting? We do not have good wide receivers. We have a bottom 3 wide receiver group in the conference, and other than Goodson and Tracy we don't have have a single player that is a threat on offense. ISM gets touched and he is knocked 5 yards off his route so whatever speed he has is rarely utilized. No tight ends anymore. QB we have another statue in Petras, however he throws a much better ball than Nate. Accurate, and will process things much faster, but doesn't have much ability to move either. This offense is stuck in the 80s, and as long as KF and boy wonder are here we will see nothing different. I guess I don't see why people continue to give them the benefit of the doubt after 20 years with KF, and 3 years of complete incompetence with boy wonder.

this year is turning into Iowa being historically bad on offense when you look at yards per play, rush and scoring offense. You might actually see Brian and KF open things up just out of necessity
Out of necessity? Oh we have been so good on offense that we haven't needed to open it up yet lol. Look out Minnesota, the mighty Iowa offense is going to be wide open this Saturday. We're gonna open it up with a qb that can barely throw for 200 yards, and a wide receiver group that is one of the worst in the conference.

I think Kirk's game plan is the same for a lot of coaches. Play conservative. Don't take too many chances. Work the field position. Eat up the clock.

Be close in the 4th quarter. If you get a lead. Sit on it. Clock management.

How many times, many, have we seen the hawks not be able to late in a game get a first down to ice a game, keep a game tied, or win a game under KF? For a power football team I can remember many times. 2016 vs NDSU, 2013 vs N Illinois, 2012 vs Indiana, and many others. It happens to all teams but for a team that we think should be top 20 it happens too much.

The idea of a good two minute offense has been a joke among Iowa fans for a long time and I am sure the reporters have mentioned it also.

It would be interesting to know how much practice time is given to getting that late first down or having a really good 2 minute offense.

Sounds a lot like playing not to lose rather than playing to win.
Thats the biggest problem i have the whole ball control offense. I not saying to get in a shootout everyweek, but take some risks. Dont be so afraid the other team is going to score that you're not willing to make a play.

Thats the biggest problem i have the whole ball control offense. I not saying to get in a shootout everyweek, but take some risks. Dont be so afraid the other team is going to score that you're not willing to make a play.

Been a problem for a long time. Dont make a mistake. Let teams hang around. Win by a FG at the end. Etc.

When the O line is not very good this makes for losses to teams with more talent. then we have. This season is about the best example of a KF team. If I were to point someone to a season to explain KFs philosophy, this is the one.

Did I hear right that we haven't converted a 2 point try after a touchdown in over 2 years?? We cant get 2 yards from scrimmage? Why couldn't I have been born in Alabama??

Latest posts