Serious question.. How can you support Ferentz?

ottoman89

First off, he's done some excellent things at Iowa. Rose Bowl, Orange Bowl, several nice bowl wins. Developed some outstanding players for the Hawkeyed and the NFL.

However, how in Gods name can you still support him as the Hawkeye coach? Hasn't won a bowl game in the last few tries, and the last 2 bowl games we've been absolutely SMASHED. Opponents have the same time to prep as we do, so there's no excuses there. This Offense has been absolutely shameful. The QBs constantly regress at Iowa.. A very small amount of WRs with any kind of game breaking play ability even LOOK at Iowa. When you have the "best Offensive Line in the Nation" and sit with a 120th ranked offense, how the hell is that even possible? I feel like most of us on this board can at least crack the Top 75 with that OL, 2 very good RBs and a solid Senior QB.

Listen, I support our players 100% and love than as much as you all do.. But my goodness, the inability to adjust game plans and in game strategies is unbelievable. I feel like all the coaches do is carry over the same gameplan over, and over, and over again. When's the last time the Hawkeyes even TRIED to attack an opponents weakness?

Frustrating watching other programs around us be aggressive in all phases of Football (recruiting, gameplans, on field adjustments and plays) and cut the dead meat when they have too.

I just, I can't handle Kirk Ferentz anymore.

PS, I hope to god Greg Davis goes bye bye.

ALSO PS, I'm never going to stop loving and watching the Hawkeyes.

I'm not sure how anyone can support him. His recruiting is awful, game day coaching is even worse as he and staff are consistently out coached, can't make adjustments, so what does he do well? Who in the coaching realm can't do what he does at Iowa?

You could look at it that Kirk coaches his team up over their heads to get into decent/great bowls where the teams we play against have superior speed and athleticism and we lose to them.

So, Kirk's good coaching gets us into bowls we don't deserve based on talent and then the talent disparity catches up to us on game-day.

How's that for a creative look at the situation?

You could look at it that Kirk coaches his team up over their heads to get into decent/great bowls where the teams we play against have superior speed and athleticism and we lose to them.

So, Kirk's good coaching gets us into bowls we don't deserve based on talent and then the talent disparity catches up to us on game-day.

How's that for a creative look at the situation?

You left out weak conference and schedule.

wait till @proudhawkfan21 gets here.

He'll tell you how he can support Kirk Ferentz.

Basically, he's okay with perennial 7-5 finishes, losing the GoDaddy.com Bowl every year, and finishing in the top half of the B1G West. In other words, he's a 10-ply ISU fan.

I have a lease with an option to buy(or sell). I have always leaned to the pro-KF side, although that lean gets less an less staunch at times. Here's the thing though, the contract has made KF the coach for basically as long as he wants, and it's an absolute idiotic contract. So, I'll rail against coaches I think are actually touchable (Davis, Kennedy) and continue to try to find the positives on the one who isn't.

I was very disappointed that CJ wasn't pulled, very. I love CJ, and he has been a winner and fantastic Hawkeye, but KF leaving him in, while it wasn't this abusive thing some fringe want to make it out to be, it wasn't in the best interest of the team, the fans, or even CJ, and it further shows the worst slight KF has, stubbornness and loyalty to a fault (In this case it's beyond stubbornness, bordering on defiance or even ignorance). These are types of things I will not defend or support KF on.

We lost this game the very second CJ came up short on that goal line reach, not because CJ failed(it was pure effort, and why I love the guy), it was because the offensive coaches are terrible (KF and GD included). If Iowa scores there to go up 7, I truly believe this is a 1 score game.

Maybe it's just a symptom, but Davis and Kennedy are the only ones they can be fired, so they should. If KF won't, well, then he will eventually lose those that remain in overall support of him.....

Lease, option to buy (sell)

wait till @proudhawkfan21 gets here.

He'll tell you how he can support Kirk Ferentz.

Basically, he's okay with perennial 7-5 finishes, losing the GoDaddy.com Bowl every year, and finishing in the top half of the B1G West. In other words, he's a 10-ply ISU fan.

We have been playing in New Year's Day games against very good competition, not GoDaddy.com bowls. The regular season finishes the last 4 years have been 8-4, 7-5, 12-0 and 8-4. That's 35-13, or about an average of 9 W and 3 L. That is not a perennial 7-5 finish.

Again, the question that Barta must ask himself is what is the up-side without Ferentz. His business decision obviously is that there is no up side. You may disagree, but the decision obviously has been made.

I'm going to continue to upset many of the fair weather fans on here, because that's what many of you are. I CHEER for the Hawks. I'm disappointed quite a bit. I maintain perspective in my life. Its called tempered expectations. I'd love to dunk a basketball. I never will. I still like to shoot the ball at times. I might even try to jump as high as I can and touch the lowest hanging part of a backboard on a layup attempt. But I like playing still. I'll keep supporting the Hawks. Maybe this is where the real disagreement lies. I choose to celebrate the opportunity to cheer on the Hawks. Show me the coach who will take us to the next level and then show me he is interested. I think that's fair to ask. I don't think it's fair to run a guy out of town who has a competitive program and try the flavor of the month like ISU.

I think many of you miss this point. I'm not psyched about 7-5..8-5 this year. I'd like to win a national championship. Its never happened here. So where is this coach that we can get that will be better than Fry or Ferentz? I'm just waiting for one of you to deliver that guy with a proven track record with a long term interest in building a program in Iowa City, Ia. I share your grief a lot of Saturdays. I also enjoyed the heck out of last year/2015 whereas many of you I'm guessing did not. Its your perogative. But instead of calling me a lesser fan because i get it..100+ years of historical data to prove my poiint...we aren't going to get better. When you HAVE better in tow, let me know and I'll reconsider my position. Until then I'm not going to bash a guy who has done as good as the LEGEND that preceeded him and who many experts outside of the borders commend for his program. You mad because he makes bank? He gives a lot back to the university. Bring me Stoops and a bottle of Advil and a potential stay on the probation list and I'll listen. Feel free to keep bagging on Kf. Its your right. But it's just whining til You show what's better or why it isn't good enough. Facts. He has an identical record to Fry. Was Fry a bad coach? Oh ok I get it. Easier schedules..don't truck Isu...built a program..yea..I'll give him the edge on program building. Its at a higher level now than during Fry's era.

We have been playing in New Year's Day games against very good competition, not GoDaddy.com bowls. The regular season finishes the last 4 years have been 8-4, 7-5, 12-0 and 8-4. That's 35-13, or about an average of 9 W and 3 L. That is not a perennial 7-5 finish.

Again, the question that Barta must ask himself is what is the up-side without Ferentz. His business decision obviously is that there is no up side. You may disagree, but the decision obviously has been made.
Times infinity. Good summation

I'm going to continue to upset many of the fair weather fans on here, because that's what many of you are. I CHEER for the Hawks. I'm disappointed quite a bit. I maintain perspective in my life. Its called tempered expectations. I'd love to dunk a basketball. I never will. I still like to shoot the ball at times. I might even try to jump as high as I can and touch the lowest hanging part of a backboard on a layup attempt. But I like playing still. I'll keep supporting the Hawks. Maybe this is where the real disagreement lies. I choose to celebrate the opportunity to cheer on the Hawks. Show me the coach who will take us to the next level and then show me he is interested. I think that's fair to ask. I don't think it's fair to run a guy out of town who has a competitive program and try the flavor of the month like ISU.

I think many of you miss this point. I'm not psyched about 7-5..8-5 this year. I'd like to win a national championship. Its never happened here. So where is this coach that we can get that will be better than Fry or Ferentz? I'm just waiting for one of you to deliver that guy with a proven track record with a long term interest in building a program in Iowa City, Ia. I share your grief a lot of Saturdays. I also enjoyed the heck out of last year/2015 whereas many of you I'm guessing did not. Its your perogative. But instead of calling me a lesser fan because i get it..100+ years of historical data to prove my poiint...we aren't going to get better. When you HAVE better in tow, let me know and I'll reconsider my position. Until then I'm not going to bash a guy who has done as good as the LEGEND that preceeded him and who many experts outside of the borders commend for his program. You mad because he makes bank? He gives a lot back to the university. Bring me Stoops and a bottle of Advil and a potential stay on the probation list and I'll listen. Feel free to keep bagging on Kf. Its your right. But it's just whining til You show what's better or why it isn't good enough. Facts. He has an identical record to Fry. Was Fry a bad coach? Oh ok I get it. Easier schedules..don't truck Isu...built a program..yea..I'll give him the edge on program building. Its at a higher level now than during Fry's era.

Very solid post. And very realistic. My counter to this would be, how many other coaches out there could get Iowa to the 7/8 wins a season that Kirk expects of himself and we as fans are expected to be happy with?

I'm not saying its easy to win at Iowa. Its not. Recruiting base and location will always make it hard to win big at Iowa. But with the OOC schedule full of tomato cans and the West with only 1 really good program it doesn't take a Lombardi to get this team to scratch out a winning record.

Latest posts