Seantrel Henderson (again)

1. Can anyone post any reputable link that shows that Seantrel is anything but a highly talented teenage athlete who is getting a lot of attention? Lots of comments here about his "character" that seem based mostly on preconceived notions. If I'm wrong about that, gimme a link. What exactly has he said or done to earn such scorn? (other than NOT signing with Iowa...)

2. Can anyone post any reputable link about Kirk's reasons for declining the home visit? I'm not interested in anonymous folks on the internet claiming to have some sort of "inside information." I certainly tend towards the "trust Kirk's judgement" camp. That being said, does anyone actually KNOW what Kirk's reasoning was about this? It all seems like speculation, which should not be a valid basis for throwing someone's "character" under the bus.

3. I definitely have questions about the elder Henderson's role in all this, but honestly I'm not even sure if he is the villain so many are making him out to be. His quote about Kirk declining the visit sounded needlessly snarky, but it could still be factual, and maybe it's not that big of a deal. Obviously there's a pattern with some football dads. (e.g., Jeff Christensen, Craig James) Again, some reputable links would help here, too.

4. Everyone's entitled to their opinions, but you know what they say about opinions...

Has anyone given thought to the idea he might have chosen USC to get away from his old man?

That would be a good theory except the entire family was moving wherever he chose to go to school at. The motivation for selecting USC according to his father was it provided more "opportunities" for SH in the future.

1. Can anyone post any reputable link that shows that Seantrel is anything but a highly talented teenage athlete who is getting a lot of attention? Lots of comments here about his "character" that seem based mostly on preconceived notions. If I'm wrong about that, gimme a link. What exactly has he said or done to earn such scorn? (other than NOT signing with Iowa...)

2. Can anyone post any reputable link about Kirk's reasons for declining the home visit? I'm not interested in anonymous folks on the internet claiming to have some sort of "inside information." I certainly tend towards the "trust Kirk's judgement" camp. That being said, does anyone actually KNOW what Kirk's reasoning was about this? It all seems like speculation, which should not be a valid basis for throwing someone's "character" under the bus.

3. I definitely have questions about the elder Henderson's role in all this, but honestly I'm not even sure if he is the villain so many are making him out to be. His quote about Kirk declining the visit sounded needlessly snarky, but it could still be factual, and maybe it's not that big of a deal. Obviously there's a pattern with some football dads. (e.g., Jeff Christensen, Craig James) Again, some reputable links would help here, too.

4. Everyone's entitled to their opinions, but you know what they say about opinions...

Some of you are funny. So, you are saying that a link and only a link can be taken as irrefutable proof of any "inside" knowledge? That's crap. First, links are not proof unless you believe everything you read on the Internet. Second, do you really think it's going to be posted somewhere if John Doe from the athletics department happened to hear or be part of a sensative/confidential conversation regarding any recruit??? I'll sell you my bridge if you think that will get a link on some news agency's site.

I'm not saying anything that's been stated is factual or anything but speculation; however, you wouldn't know inside information if it hit you in the forehead because you'd be saying "I want proof!!!" (said with a Kim Jong Ill twang) What is proof of a conversation?? Of honest-to-god, authentic, inside information of a sensative topic. It certainly isn't going to be a link! Kirk Ferentz is NEVER going to publically comment "we ended our relationship with Seantrel because _______." That would be unprofessional at best. But there is a reason. There are people who know why. And those reasons are not going to be offered via a link to prove it to you.

Some of you are funny. So, you are saying that a link and only a link can be taken as irrefutable proof of any "inside" knowledge? That's crap. First, links are not proof unless you believe everything you read on the Internet. Second, do you really think it's going to be posted somewhere if John Doe from the athletics department happened to hear or be part of a sensative/confidential conversation regarding any recruit??? I'll sell you my bridge if you think that will get a link on some news agency's site.

I'm not saying anything that's been stated is factual or anything but speculation; however, you wouldn't know inside information if it hit you in the forehead because you'd be saying "I want proof!!!" (said with a Kim Jong Ill twang) What is proof of a conversation?? Of honest-to-god, authentic, inside information of a sensative topic. It certainly isn't going to be a link! Kirk Ferentz is NEVER going to publically comment "we ended our relationship with Seantrel because _______." That would be unprofessional at best. But there is a reason. There are people who know why. And those reasons are not going to be offered via a link to prove it to you.

I dare you to show me one thing on the internet that isnt true

Some of you are funny. So, you are saying that a link and only a link can be taken as irrefutable proof of any "inside" knowledge? That's crap.

Straw man. No, I was not saying that. But I guess it's easier to make **** up when you're debating someone, but don't have a substantive argument to make.

Regarding my first point, many news agencies have been reporting on the words and deeds of the Henderson family in recent months. I've read several and found nothing to distinguish Seantrel from any other highly-coveted football recruit. Yet several posters here "know" what a me-first, screw-the-team, prima donna he supposedly is. Based on what concrete information? Inquiring minds want to know.

links are not proof unless you believe everything you read on the Internet.

Captain Obvious saves the day! :rolleyes:

I'm not saying anything that's been stated is factual or anything but speculation;

Which, ironically, was exactly the point I was making. Thank you for agreeing with me. :)

however, you wouldn't know inside information if it hit you in the forehead because you'd be saying "I want proof!!!" (said with a Kim Jong Ill twang) What is proof of a conversation?? Of honest-to-god, authentic, inside information of a sensative topic. It certainly isn't going to be a link!

Right, and it's not going to be some anonymous guy on the internet claiming that he has "inside information," either. In such cases, NOBODY would know if it was real "inside information" or not. The wise response? Skepticism.

Now it's my turn to be Captain Obvious: you can't believe everything you read on the internet. (said with a Comic Book Guy drawl)

Kirk Ferentz is NEVER going to publically comment "we ended our relationship with Seantrel because _______." That would be unprofessional at best. But there is a reason. There are people who know why. And those reasons are not going to be offered via a link to prove it to you.

Pretty much exactly what I was implying with my second point. Read it again and see if you can spot the rhetorical question! (You know, you sure seem mad for someone who agrees with so much of my post.)

EastLosRandy -

I'm inclined to agree. Ferentz is on record saying that Seantrel was a good kid ... and with how he made the comment, it sounded like it was also a bit of a jab at the kids dad (like the kid was great ... but the dad was a pain). Thus, my impression is that Seantrel doesn't have character issues ... although it sounded like his dad does.

As for Ferentz declining the home visit, it was because Henderson wouldn't commit to an official visit to Iowa. It's simple inference to decipher that Ferentz and the Iowa coaches wanted a gesture by the Henderson's that they truly were serious about the Hawks. The litmus test there then was whether Henderson would take an official visit or not.

If I remember correctly...Ferentz's decision also had to do with the fact that he took his official visits to Miami, tOSU, USC, OU and maybe Notre Dame and only came to Iowa on unofficial visits with teammates...one of which was for the Minnesota game.

It became pretty clear when he used his last official on Miami that he wasn't very interested in becoming a Hawkeye. I think that was also about the time that we started getting a strong feeling that he was just playing the recruiting game...as Miami hadn't been considered a real strong contender throughout most of the process.

I think it mostly had to do with the fact that Ferentz didn't think we were a serious contender and that was a busy time leading up to signing day where he had higher priorities.

Isn't that one of the things we love about Iowa recruiting is that we don't waste time going after the unattainable 5 star recruits and instead invest our time into finding the guys that fit our system and want to be Hawkeyes?

Remember the element of self-selection.

I would have been ecstatic if Seantrel had signed with Iowa in February.

Why? Because he's a great talent, was recruited for over a year by KF, is by all accounts (including KF and Jon Alt and other Cretin-Derham Hall families and coaches) a good and humble kid, and if he'd signed with Iowa, it would mean 3 particular things:
1) He'd taken the official visit to Iowa KF insisted on
2) He'd decided he wanted to be a Hawkeye
3) KF and staff felt comfortable they could deal with Sean (dad)

At least 2 and possibly 3 of those things didn't happen, so I'm now glad Seantrel is not a Hawkeye. It's not sour grapes, nor a contradiction. Also, given the actions and quotes of Mr. Henderson subsequent to signing day, it does appear we dodged a bullet in that particular respect.

Remember the element of self-selection.

I would have been ecstatic if Seantrel had signed with Iowa in February.

Why? Because he's a great talent, was recruited for over a year by KF, is by all accounts (including KF and Jon Alt and other Cretin-Derham Hall families and coaches) a good and humble kid, and if he'd signed with Iowa, it would mean 3 particular things:
1) He'd taken the official visit to Iowa KF insisted on
2) He'd decided he wanted to be a Hawkeye
3) KF and staff felt comfortable they could deal with Sean (dad)

At least 2 and possibly 3 of those things didn't happen, so I'm now glad Seantrel is not a Hawkeye. It's not sour grapes, nor a contradiction. Also, given the actions and quotes of Mr. Henderson subsequent to signing day, it does appear we dodged a bullet in that particular respect.

What he said, with emphasis on the last sentence.

Well all I can say is that he should have given Iowa more of a chance when he was shopping around. Lindy's rated Iowa the #2 school for producing lineman into the draft right behind...you guessed it USC. We have had 10 this decade alone get drafted. Why do people outside of Iowa continue to refuse that he should even have looked at UI. The school is one of the best NFL OL producing teams in the country. Mind-boggling.

Last edited:
My expectation is that Henderson will go on and have a
more productive pro career than any Iowa lineman in the KF era. That being said, I still don't think he would have beat out RR at left tackle. RR is the perfect LT for Iowa's zone blocking scheme, which relies more on agility, technique, and reads than brute physical strength. Seantrel seems more of a RT in Iowa's scheme.

I hope he does go on to a great career in the NFL. I am rooting for him.
I hope his dad fails miserably as a rap star.

Not sure how much any one can blame the kid for all of the hoopla with a dad pushing all of the buttons and wanting all of the attention.

Latest posts