Scott Dochterman just had an interesting stat

I could understand if there is statistics that show that coaches who call timeouts late have more success that coaches who don't. And maybe that is the case. But if statistics don't show it's a stragety issue , I just can't get to the point where I believe Fran can't do it but others can.

If Fran is truly a coach who can't coach his team to a close win, that means the best thing he can do is stay out of the way. That last line isn't to defend him as a coach. It's to argue against the "if he would only call a timeout" crowd.

I get it, man. I guess what I'm saying is...what works for one coach, doesn't necessarily work for another one. So you have to look at Fran's success with or without the timeout If he does something different than other coaches.... or if he does what most would do...(we've seen coaches win both ways) isn't as important as does it work for him.

The numbers Dochterman sited would appear to show that it doesn't. Unless of course, they would have lost even with a timeout...that's possible. But we'll never know without a bizarro parallel universe. I think the assumption is...when we tend to get lousy shots, or look disorganized at the end of close games...that a TO might have helped.

Would love to win a handfull by double digits so we don't have to worry about it! Peace, bro!

Last edited:
I get it, man. I guess what I'm saying is...what works for one coach, doesn't necessarily work for another one. So you have to look at Fran's success with or without the timeout If he does something different than other coaches.... or if he does what most would do...(we've seen coaches win both ways) isn't as important as does it work for him.

The numbers Dochterman sited would appear to show that it doesn't. Unless of course, they would have lost even with a timeout...that's possible. But we'll never know without a bizarro parallel universe. I think the assumption is...when we tend to get lousy shots, or look disorganized at the end of close games...that a TO might have helped.

Would love to win a handfull by double digits so we don't have to worry about it! Peace, bro!

Yea I knew that's what you were saying. Those numbers don't prove anything about timeouts tho. There are too many other variables in play to say he has a bad record in close games because he doesn't use enough timeouts. I think the fact that he's 50 some years old and still does it that way is proof that it is what works best for him. His career is a lot longer than 4 years. His way doesn't work for these players because nothing would work for these players.

We came out of a timeout in the Indiana game and that's when we started to fall apart. The last thing head cases need is more time to get into their own head.

Well, to just describe the play that Mike got blocked at the rim.... it was a very good play that was executed poorly. Jarrod set a pick for Mike and got knocked to the floor (something the announcers were astounded about no foul being called - whatever). If you watch the play, Mike looked back before going to the rim. I suspect the play was a pick and pop to Jarrod but with Jarrod on the floor, literally, Mike couldn't pass to him and had to improvise. Unless he's grabbed and dragged to the floor, Jarrod can NOT fall like that... especially in that kind of situation. I don't know how that's on Mike, but that's all many of the posters here can do.

Latest posts