Schwartz: McCaffery and Unprofessional Behavior

Gotta agree with Schultz on this one. I understand all the former players and the "he's got my back" take. But the cussing out of officials calling them mf's is not the same thing as having a player's back. The man has a lack of maturity and self control.

Officials make mistakes. That's not cheating. Fran makes mistakes. Forgetting about Moss in the second half of a game was a mistake by Fran. He wasn't cheating.

Tired of Fran's schtick.

Not gonna lie I have a little fun looking at this from a broader sense and enjoying looking at the profile of an average Iowa Hawkeye fan. A lot of Iowa fans don't have Fran's back at all. The guy going to his 4th NCAA tournament in 6 years (first time that's happened since Mr. Davis) and got the program back to at least level again. They'd rather stick up for a ref who they don't know and who likely sucks at his job (most agree that refs have been at least as inconsistent as ever recently) because Fran is a big meanie and they only like sunshine and lollipops in this great state. Unicorns and Rainbows and Snowflakes. Not a coach that would use the word "Motherfucker" ....not a guy who would say someone was "cheating". Nah. Lollipops and Rainbow Brite Land for Iowa fans.

They'd rather crucify Fran for calling someone a motherbleeping cheater but want to reinstate, free, run through walls and start petitions for a radio announcer that was suspended for racist remarks and had his 2nd suspension of the season after earlier in the year dissing on one of our own players on a live broadcast. This isn't me saying I think Fran was wrong or right or what Dolph said was racist (I don't think what Dolph said was wrong, I do think what Fran did was wrong, I just don't mind it and it doesn't bother me.)

It's an interesting dichotomy to me if I just look at it objectively and try to take out any biases I have. Fran is polarizing and over the last few days I've said at least 20 times to myself "This must be how Trump supporters feel everyday". It's given me a lot to think about.

No I am not a Fran fan not only because of his childish behavior, but I am tired of seeing his teams fade. Yes, this will be his 4th tourney in 9 years and yes he did bring the program back from the dead. But how far has he gone in the tourney? One year it was a play-in game for Christsake. But c'mon 64 teams are in the tourney. As of last year Iowa still had the 25th best program of all time in the NCAA, a coach should be expected to win here. Lick was the exception, not Fran. In any given year half of the Big 10 teams will make the tourney. He is a horse's ass and a mediocre coach, that is all.

Correction: 23rd best basketball program of all time. https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketbal...op-100-college-basketball-programs-based-poll

Last edited:
No I am not a Fran fan not only because of his childish behavior, but I am tired of seeing his teams fade. Yes, this will be his 4th tourney in 9 years and yes he did bring the program back from the dead. But how far has he gone in the tourney? One year it was a play-in game for Christsake. But c'mon 64 teams are in the tourney. As of last year Iowa still had the 25th best program of all time in the NCAA, a coach should be expected to win here. Lick was the exception, not Fran. In any given year half of the Big 10 teams will make the tourney. He is a horse's ass and a mediocre coach, that is all.

good thing this team hasn't faded then, you'd have more ammo for your guns

I'm glad they haven't but it would be in their character to do so.....soon.

the only way you can say that they are fading would be a loss to Rutgers. The other 2 are quad 1 road games that most Iowa fans had written down as L's for the last 4 months.

the only way you can say that they are fading would be a loss to Rutgers. The other 2 are quad 1 road games that most Iowa fans had written down as L's for the last 4 months.
So losing 1st round of the BTT, or NCAA would not be a fade? It is in my book.

So losing 1st round of the BTT, or NCAA would not be a fade? It is in my book.

sure, I guess so. My target all season was just getting this team back into the dance. I'm not moving it now and didn't move it through out the year. That's a good step forward for this program after last season. The B1G tournament is anybodies guess. If it started today every team in it is going to have a top 80 Ken Pom rating. Do you want to play Penn State or IL right now? Not many would. If they lose in the first round of the NCAA it will be to a quality opponent and the dance is more about matchups and draw then anything. I don't think either would be a "fade" - but that's because I knew it was going to be a struggle to get as far as this team has all season long. They aren't great. They likely aren't destined for greatness. I think Iowa will be better next season. I'm am with you tho - I would like something tangible to hold on to like a sweet 16 or a Sunday BTT run.

Ah, but single one out and start calling them a m'fer and see what happens.

Oh yeah, that's definitely a line you don't cross. (though players do it on the field and the court all the time). Don't get me wrong...Fran went too far...he didn't just get a T in the heat of the game, he went after a ref off the court. That's bad news.

But you can't compare a coaches behavior to that of a professor or a corporate gig any more than you can a football player's to a guy working on a DOT roadcrew (though there's a number of times I've wanted to scream MFer at the DOT) ;)

Comparing basketball coaches on court behavior to other professions is a silly, non-serious exercise. Of course they don't act like doctors, or professors or [fill in the blank] while coaching during a game, they're not held to that standard, conversely doctors aren't allowed to rant and rave about something that goes wrong in their office. It's a false equivalence. Calling a ref a cheater is wrong, not excusing that, but yelling at a ref and getting a T once in awhile, c'mon.

upload_2019-2-28_16-54-23.jpeg

upload_2019-2-28_16-54-34.jpeg

upload_2019-2-28_16-54-52.jpeg

upload_2019-2-28_16-55-9.jpeg

images

images

images

images

upload_2019-2-28_17-0-4.jpeg

images

Comparing basketball coaches on court behavior to other professions is a silly, non-serious exercise. Of course they don't act like doctors, or professors or [fill in the blank] while coaching during a game, they're not held to that standard, conversely doctors aren't allowed to rant and rave about something that goes wrong in their office. It's a false equivalence. Calling a ref a cheater is wrong, not excusing that, but yelling at a ref and getting a T once in awhile, c'mon.

View attachment 5111

View attachment 5112

View attachment 5113

View attachment 5114

images

images

images

images

View attachment 5115

images
Actually as someone who works in healthcare surgeons act like this on almost a daily basis. The more valuable you are to an organization, the more likely you are to have this type of behavior be tolerated

Actually as someone who works in healthcare surgeons act like this on almost a daily basis. The more valuable you are to an organization, the more likely you are to have this type of behavior be tolerated
Not challenging your point about surgeons, not sure it applies to all professions, but regardless of that, this actually makes the point of his article less valid.

I make the mistake to read his articles sometimes. I didn't this time. I will always read the comments in the thread to get the gist tho.

good thing this team hasn't faded then, you'd have more ammo for your guns
I'm not saying they are full on plunging, but this team hasn't been right since the Michigan game. I don't know what the problem is they should have won several games by large margins. JBo and the miracle Rutgers shot are the only thing preventing them from losing the last 6 games. I just wish they would start playing with the defensive intensity we saw at mid-season and have their three's start dropping as a team again. I still have high hopes for this team but we really need to see them get their swagger as a team back. Would Fran be Fran if he wasn't emotional? Some people are fueled by anger and competition. If Fran was laid back could he function? Sometimes the more some people try to change the worse it is when they relapse. Maybe having Fran go semi-nuts once in a while would be better than one giant venting like last night.

View attachment 5111

View attachment 5112

View attachment 5113

View attachment 5114

images

images

images

images

View attachment 5115

images
Problem is most of these guys don't get T's, even when they should.

yeah! Fran is just out of his mind to think any official, coach or program would cheat. The multi-billion dollar NCAA is squeaky clean and has never or will ever become corrupt. The FBI will never do a corruption probe to find over 20 top programs are linked with paying players big time money. The NCAA would never drag its feet over these finding for over 2 years now without any major punishment for any of its high revenue,I mean, top schools. North Carolina would never be let off scott free even if it was proven that had over 18 years of academic fraud. And no way any official ever has been involved in a scandal. But dammit, Fran needs to burn for the words he used so harshly to an official who has never had any controversy while officiating...

In my mind it was ok if no one else heard it. If your a man and have another issue with another man you hash it out. Face to face. That's how the world works. These refs here worse shit said to them on the sidelines - IMO it was way more professional then doing it on national TV.
Shouldn’t have been said, period. As an Iowa alum and a Hawkeye fan, I’m embarrassed by Fran’s behavior.

Some of you defending it need to grow up.

yeah! Fran is just out of his mind to think any official, coach or program would cheat. The multi-billion dollar NCAA is squeaky clean and has never or will ever become corrupt. The FBI will never do a corruption probe to find over 20 top programs are linked with paying players big time money. The NCAA would never drag its feet over these finding for over 2 years now without any major punishment for any of its high revenue,I mean, top schools. North Carolina would never be let off scott free even if it was proven that had over 18 years of academic fraud. And no way any official ever has been involved in a scandal. But dammit, Fran needs to burn for the words he used so harshly to an official who has never had any controversy while officiating...

Grow up. An official may do a poor job officiating, at least in your eyes. But unless you have hard evidence they’re on the take, you do not call them cheater.

Oh yeah, that's definitely a line you don't cross. (though players do it on the field and the court all the time). Don't get me wrong...Fran went too far...he didn't just get a T in the heat of the game, he went after a ref off the court. That's bad news.

But you can't compare a coaches behavior to that of a professor or a corporate gig any more than you can a football player's to a guy working on a DOT roadcrew (though there's a number of times I've wanted to scream MFer at the DOT) ;)
So it’s OK to scream, curse out, berate and accuse a sports official of being on the take? That’s their workplace.

Where do you work so I can come in and scream at you about the shitty job you’re doing and accuse you of embezzlement?

Latest posts