Schwartz: McCaffery and Unprofessional Behavior

I'm not saying they are full on plunging, but this team hasn't been right since the Michigan game. I don't know what the problem is they should have won several games by large margins. JBo and the miracle Rutgers shot are the only thing preventing them from losing the last 6 games. I just wish they would start playing with the defensive intensity we saw at mid-season and have their three's start dropping as a team again. I still have high hopes for this team but we really need to see them get their swagger as a team back. Would Fran be Fran if he wasn't emotional? Some people are fueled by anger and competition. If Fran was laid back could he function? Sometimes the more some people try to change the worse it is when they relapse. Maybe having Fran go semi-nuts once in a while would be better than one giant venting like last night.
I think opponents have figured out Iowa is a two-pony show. Shut down Bohannon and knock Garza around in the paint and the Hawks don’t have much left to respond with.

sure, I guess so. My target all season was just getting this team back into the dance. I'm not moving it now and didn't move it through out the year. That's a good step forward for this program after last season. The B1G tournament is anybodies guess. If it started today every team in it is going to have a top 80 Ken Pom rating. Do you want to play Penn State or IL right now? Not many would. If they lose in the first round of the NCAA it will be to a quality opponent and the dance is more about matchups and draw then anything. I don't think either would be a "fade" - but that's because I knew it was going to be a struggle to get as far as this team has all season long. They aren't great. They likely aren't destined for greatness. I think Iowa will be better next season. I'm am with you tho - I would like something tangible to hold on to like a sweet 16 or a Sunday BTT run.
Typical Good Time Charley Hawk fan mentality. Make it to a bowl game = good enough. Be one of 70 basketball teams invited to a tournament = good enough.

How about winning a few of those post-season games?

Last edited:
So it’s OK to scream, curse out, berate and accuse a sports official of being on the take? That’s their workplace.

Where do you work so I can come in and scream at you about the shitty job you’re doing and accuse you of embezzlement?

Where, exactly, do you see that? Might wanna read next time.

"Fran went too far...he didn't just get a T in the heat of the game, he went after a ref off the court. That's bad news."

Last edited:
Typical Good Time Charley Hawk fan mentality. Make it to a bowl game = good enough. Be one of 70 basketball teams invited to a tournament = good enough.

How about winning a few of those post-season games?

of course I want more - I want to win post season games as much as any fan. That said, my expectation this season was to get back into the NCAA's. That's a floor expectation for this program and they haven't been met the last 2 seasons. For me to continue supporting Fran, that's what I needed to start the year. Doesn't make much sense for me to change the target midseason. Next year I will expect more of Iowa hoops

Shouldn’t have been said, period. As an Iowa alum and a Hawkeye fan, I’m embarrassed by Fran’s behavior.

Some of you defending it need to grow up.

I'm a grown up - I get worse said to me on a monthly basis in what I do. I get worse said to me on this site. If I have a problem with someone I feel has done me wrong, I confront them. Words get exchanged but typically at the end both parties talk things out and by the end share remorse for their actions and words. That's being an adult. Fran told the ref what was on his mind and now he's doing the time for it. You can be embarrassed all you want, I like having a 21-7 basketball team.

Comparing basketball coaches on court behavior to other professions is a silly, non-serious exercise. Of course they don't act like doctors, or professors or [fill in the blank] while coaching during a game, they're not held to that standard, conversely doctors aren't allowed to rant and rave about something that goes wrong in their office. It's a false equivalence. Calling a ref a cheater is wrong, not excusing that, but yelling at a ref and getting a T once in awhile, c'mon.

View attachment 5111

View attachment 5112

View attachment 5113

View attachment 5114

images

images

images

images

View attachment 5115

images

Every single one of those pictures the ref is likely indicating to the ref that they think they are "cheating" their teams.

Grow up. An official may do a poor job officiating, at least in your eyes. But unless you have hard evidence they’re on the take, you do not call them cheater.
Fran, when your teams swoon, you are cheating the Iowa fans, focus on that, something you can change, rather than blaming, making excuses. Back to work for you.

Plus, you probably feel extremely angry, hurt and wounded by being "punished" and you probably feel under appreciated at Iowa and are considering "taking your talents" to another location. I understand that, and it isn't a bad idea. Voluntarily cancel out the Barta hidden contract first and look around a bit. Best wishes to you. Serenity Now!

I'm a grown up - I get worse said to me on a monthly basis in what I do. I get worse said to me on this site. If I have a problem with someone I feel has done me wrong, I confront them. Words get exchanged but typically at the end both parties talk things out and by the end share remorse for their actions and words. That's being an adult. Fran told the ref what was on his mind and now he's doing the time for it. You can be embarrassed all you want, I like having a 21-7 basketball team.

Where do you work?

Schwartz speaks to professionalism in the article as he calls the Coach of the Hawkeyes a Man-Baby! That's rich! He talks about McCaffery's legacy. I for one do think about his legacy being how he brought the program back from the Licklighter disaster. His temper-tantrums are not even on the radar for me. So no, not everyone thinks his tempe-tantrums are his legacy. Only the anti-Fran crowd which may include Schwartz?

You know what. Fran has his problems, they are glaring and unmistakable. He is a poor game manager and doesn't make changes in lineup or defense when they are clearly needed. He is getting a bit better at these things lately. He also has a problem finding point guards.
So the man has a temper. So what. Many people have tempers and when they do things they shouldn't do, they pay a price, just like Fran now has paid. That said, I would rather have a coach that has his players (all of his players) backs and occasionally overreacts, than a sniveling little rat bastard like REDACTED, who throws his players under the bus or a milquetoast like Lick.
Does this behavior reflect well on Fran or the university, no. But honestly, calling Fran a man baby is really just as bad. I usually give Schwartz some latitude, even though I don't frequently agree with what he says, a different viewpoint is a good thing. This time, Schwartz is just plain wrong.

That makes sense. Not my line of work. Bosses can be aggressive though.

The things that get said in my office daily would get people fired from almost any other setting. I hear it continually. From management to coworkers to drivers. Racist remarks, sexist remarks and things about homosexuality several times a day. You have to have thick skin. A lot of trucks drivers are exactly how you would think and exactly how they are labeled. Red necks, scummy, dirty, bad hygiene and vile. I also have several that are the smartest and dependable people on earth. I have guys that clear well over 200k a year that just drive 1 truck. I don't agree with any of their views and it's something that I typically just have to tolerate as long as I want to remain in the job. I've grown up around it - I don't feed it but I recognize it immediately. It's common place in this industry.