Schwartz: McCaffery and Unprofessional Behavior

Schwartz speaks to professionalism in the article as he calls the Coach of the Hawkeyes a Man-Baby! That's rich! He talks about McCaffery's legacy. I for one do think about his legacy being how he brought the program back from the Licklighter disaster. His temper-tantrums are not even on the radar for me. So no, not everyone thinks his tempe-tantrums are his legacy. Only the anti-Fran crowd which may include Schwartz?

Last edited:
I'm not gonna rip this guy too hard, but some fairly bad takes in there. 1st, how can you watch the other 13 teams the rest of the weekend if Iowa loses early? LOL - I read that and I thought, I don't know if he understands how single elimination tournaments work. But my biggest gripe is If you are going to mention all these parts of what you don't like about Fran, I think it's only fair as a "journalist" that you list some of his accomplishments. You can call him a big baby and an embarrassment all you want - but I see a guy who's taken 4 programs to the NCAA and Iowa to it's 4th in 6 years. You can call him a Man Baby, but I see a guy who donates a ton of his time and money to cancer research. These kind of pieces seem so incredibly short sited. Especially now knowing Fran said he intended for his remarks to be private and he did them away from the court, which makes it even LESS of a problem. This kind of language happens on the court too.

Wow, just read how Packers' ex coach Mike McCarthy went full Fran, chasing down refs in the tunnel after a game in which his step son lost by one point, screaming and yelling profanity at them. It's spreading, unfortunately.

Wow, just read how Packers' ex coach Mike McCarthy went full Fran, chasing down refs in the tunnel after a game in which his step son lost by one point, screaming and yelling profanity at them. It's spreading, unfortunately.

Video in the link ...

Schwartz speaks to professionalism in the article as he calls the Coach of the Hawkeyes a Man-Baby! That's rich! He talks about McCaffery's legacy. I for one do think about his legacy being how he brought the program back from the Licklighter disaster. His temper-tantrums are not even on the radar for me. So no, not everyone thinks his tempe-tantrums are his legacy. Only the anti-Fran crowd which may include Schwartz?
Calling a coach a man baby is the same as calling them a m'fing cheater and a disgrace? Tell you what run around at work and start screaming at people like Fran did and see how long you last.

I'm not gonna rip this guy too hard, but some fairly bad takes in there. 1st, how can you watch the other 13 teams the rest of the weekend if Iowa loses early? LOL - I read that and I thought, I don't know if he understands how single elimination tournaments work. But my biggest gripe is If you are going to mention all these parts of what you don't like about Fran, I think it's only fair as a "journalist" that you list some of his accomplishments. You can call him a big baby and an embarrassment all you want - but I see a guy who's taken 4 programs to the NCAA and Iowa to it's 4th in 6 years. You can call him a Man Baby, but I see a guy who donates a ton of his time and money to cancer research. These kind of pieces seem so incredibly short sited. Especially now knowing Fran said he intended for his remarks to be private and he did them away from the court, which makes it even LESS of a problem. This kind of language happens on the court too.
Fran's comment about trying to say it in private is what set me off, knowing that what he was doing was wrong and unprofessional, but in his mind it was ok if no one else heard it. What a POS.

Calling a coach a man baby is the same as calling them a m'fing cheater and a disgrace? Tell you what run around at work and start screaming at people like Fran did and see how long you last.

Try telling your subordinates to run a lap or yelling "that's terrible, do it again!" every time they make a mistake. That won't be tolerated either. But it is in coaching.

Fran's comment about trying to say it in private is what set me off, knowing that what he was doing was wrong and unprofessional, but in his mind it was ok if no one else heard it. What a POS.
In my mind it was ok if no one else heard it. If your a man and have another issue with another man you hash it out. Face to face. That's how the world works. These refs here worse shit said to them on the sidelines - IMO it was way more professional then doing it on national TV.

AW says players and coaches say "reckless" stuff to refs all the time. So, let's act like something our coach said in the tunnel should be cause for outrage.

fran-mccaffery-mad.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

usa_today_9892375.0.jpg

flat,550x550,075,f.u3.jpg

In my mind it was ok if no one else heard it. If your a man and have another issue with another man you hash it out. Face to face. That's how the world works. These refs here worse shit said to them on the sidelines - IMO it was way more professional then doing it on national TV.

Yes, you would be right in another situation. Whether, or not, anyone heard Fran is moot. He still violated clause 10, or whatever it was regarding sportsmanship and the ref still could have reported it to the Big 10, but it didn't matter to Fran, he was out of control.

Yes, you would be right in another situation. Whether, or not, anyone heard Fran is moot. He still violated clause 10, or whatever it was regarding sportsmanship and the ref still could have reported it to the Big 10, but it didn't matter to Fran, he was out of control.

Oh yeah, he violated, was out of control and has now apologized for it. He acknowledged what he did was over the top and wrong. He still did it. I do things that are wrong all the time but I still do them. You know the risks of your actions. So did Fran.

Try telling your subordinates to run a lap or yelling "that's terrible, do it again!" every time they make a mistake. That won't be tolerated either. But it is in coaching.
Ah, but single one out and start calling them a m'fer and see what happens.

Not gonna lie I have a little fun looking at this from a broader sense and enjoying looking at the profile of an average Iowa Hawkeye fan. A lot of Iowa fans don't have Fran's back at all. The guy going to his 4th NCAA tournament in 6 years (first time that's happened since Mr. Davis) and got the program back to at least level again. They'd rather stick up for a ref who they don't know and who likely sucks at his job (most agree that refs have been at least as inconsistent as ever recently) because Fran is a big meanie and they only like sunshine and lollipops in this great state. Unicorns and Rainbows and Snowflakes. Not a coach that would use the word "Motherfucker" ....not a guy who would say someone was "cheating". Nah. Lollipops and Rainbow Brite Land for Iowa fans.

They'd rather crucify Fran for calling someone a motherbleeping cheater but want to reinstate, free, run through walls and start petitions for a radio announcer that was suspended for racist remarks and had his 2nd suspension of the season after earlier in the year dissing on one of our own players on a live broadcast. This isn't me saying I think Fran was wrong or right or what Dolph said was racist (I don't think what Dolph said was wrong, I do think what Fran did was wrong, I just don't mind it and it doesn't bother me.)

It's an interesting dichotomy to me if I just look at it objectively and try to take out any biases I have. Fran is polarizing and over the last few days I've said at least 20 times to myself "This must be how Trump supporters feel everyday". It's given me a lot to think about.

Latest posts