Schartz vs. Harbaugh

CloneHawk

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zp1Q0MZE9Y]Fight Between Jim Schwartz (Lions) vs Jim Harbaugh (49ers) - YouTube[/ame]

Who's side are you on for this one?

Both coaches are tuff and intense. I'm kind of a Harbaugh fan because of the way he used to pizz off Petey teh cheater when stanford and usc played. Plus, what Harbaugh has done so far at SF is nothing short of astounding.

Both coaches are tuff and intense. I'm kind of a Harbaugh fan because of the way he used to pizz off Petey teh cheater when stanford and usc played. Plus, what Harbaugh has done so far at SF is nothing short of astounding.

Yeah, I would argue that Harbaugh should be coach of the year at this point. I also think Schwartz is being a little hypocritical. I think I remember him doing a lot of celebrating when they beat Minnesota

Schwartz... harbaugh barely even acknowledged schwartz. I like hos excitement after a big win but take the 15 seconds and say good game to the opposing coach

looked like Harbaugh was being a high schooler there. gotta at least try and be professional. wonder if there's some history here or if words were said before this went down. Schwartz should have just let it go though, nothing to be gained by matching lack of class for lack of class. take the high ground like Dungy did with Belichek

Anyone know for sure what started it? Was it just Harbaugh brushing him aside that made things a go? Wonder what they said to each other.

i think both coaches deserve a lot of credit for turning around those train wreck teams...i think what schwartz has done with the lions is just as astounding if not more

Schwartz's crap is getting old. In the postgame presser he said he got upset because Harbaugh used an expletive. After the Lions won in Minnestoa in OT this year he was running across the field pumping his fist and shouting "F--- YEAH!!" over and over again.

He was just upset because they lost and that would have been fine if he would have just said that. He is a baby.

As a lifelong Lions fan, I am obviously probably a little biased in this situation but I will do my best to be fair. I do think Schwartz can be a ****** bag with his fist pumping antics and whatever else at times. While Schwartz did drop some f bombs at the end of the Minnesota game, he did not do it while shaking the opposing coach's hand. I would assume that the above poster from Owatonna, Minnesota is a Vikings fan and is just bitter that they blew a huge lead to the Lions at home. Schwartz also did not almost rip off his shirt while running to shake the coach's hand. I think that Harbaugh came off as a complete and total ****** bag in this case. I understand he is excited and wants to celebrate, but save that until you get to the locker room or at least until after you show respect to the coach who has just lost an intense game. Supposedly Harbaugh had an obscenity when he slapped Schwartz's hand. I am just glad he is not at Michigan and the Hawkeyes have to deal with his BS on a yearly basis.

Last edited:
Honestly, I don't blame either one of these guys for this fight. I blame the NFL and every other sporting institution that requires handshakes at midfield or wherever after an intense competition.

As a former college wrestler and high school wrestling coach, I can't stand it when a wrestler comes over to my corner to shake hands as soon as the match is over. How many times do we need to demonstrate good sportsmanship through handshakes. In wrestling, the wrestlers shake hands:
1. During introductions.
2. At the start of the match.
3. After the match.
4. Now, it's commonplace for wrestlers to come to the corner after the match and shake the coach's hand (but usually only when they win).
5. After the dual.

I know this is not the same as what happened between Harbaugh and Schwartz, but does the game really suffer if these two don't shake hands? I don't think so. It's forced sportsmanship, and I hope the NFL doesn't fine either of these guys. There was no fight. It was a verbal spat, no different than what takes place during a routine play in a game.

Do away with the required handshake.

As a lifelong Lions fan, I am obviously probably a little biased in this situation but I will do my best to be fair. I do think Schwartz can be a ****** bag with his fist pumping antics and whatever else at times. While Schwartz did drop some f bombs at the end of the Minnesota game, he did not do it while shaking the opposing coach's hand. I would assume that the above poster from Owatonna, Minnesota is a Vikings fan and is just bitter that they blew a huge lead to the Lions at home. Schwartz also did not almost rip off his shirt while running to shake the coach's hand. I think that Harbaugh came off as a complete and total ****** bag in this case. I understand he is excited and wants to celebrate, but save that until you get to the locker room or at least until after you show respect to the coach who has just lost an intense game. Supposedly Harbaugh had an obscenity when he slapped Schwartz's hand. I am just glad he is not at Michigan and the Hawkeyes have to deal with his BS on a yearly basis.

I am a Vikings fan but that is not what irked me about Schwartz' reaction after Hanson drilled the FG in OT. I was expecting the Vikings to lose that game the further it went on, especially after the first 2 weeks of thier season. He was acting like that while running out to midfield to meet Frazier for the handshake. Just like you said, shake hands and then get to the locker room and do all the chest bumping and shouting you want.

You think Harbaugh should have waited to get to the locker room to celebrate yesterday but dont expect Schwartz to do the same thing if they win intense games?

Well first off, I admitted that Schwartz can be a moron. Also, and I honestly mean this, I dont remember him doing anything other than right after the field goal was kicked. He pulled his headseat off, pumped his fist, and said Bam, mother...... I dont remember him really acting inappropriate at all when he shook Leslie Frazier's hand. I even tried to find something on YouTube but to no avail. It is really nit picky stuff and it is like trying to decide who acts like a bigger ******. In this instance, my opinion was that Harbaugh acted like the bigger ******. Just my thoughts on it.