Scary Thought: Next Year's Team Will Be Significantly WORSE

iowalaw

Banned
Sometimes during "rebuilding years" like this year, hawk fans can remain upbeat because there are some young studs in the pipeline who have shown great potential and very few seniors graduating. Sadly, this years team leaves virtually no optimism for next year. Recruiting has taken a turn for the worst ever since the new staff came aboard. Thus, given this year's team's performance and the high number of seniors on it, next years is going to be worse. Let's look at what we lose:

RB: Draw. Our three year starter at RB, one of the school's career leaders, is gone. Also, our 3rd down back who has caught more passes than any rb in recent history graduates. Some optimism with Wadley and Canzeri coming back, but neither has proved to be even an average Big 10 RB. If Canzeri can stay healthy, he will be serviceable. Maybe Daniels can come back strong?

QB: Net loss (if CJ leaves). In all likelihood, our QB with the most potential and the biggest arm, CJ, is gone after this season. No one would blame him. The coach has made it clear that no matter how well CJ plays, Jake has been his man since he won the job 2 years ago and Kirk "hasn't given any thought to" changing that decision. So next year we are left with Jake. The guy who makes a living at check downs and gets happy feet at the slightest sign of pressure. He has shown glimpses of potential, but more often than not (including against Wisconsin, when the tv commentators were even asking Kirk to put in the backup), he is a "game manager," who can lead a team to a 7-5 record at best. If CJ is gone, we are the same or worse off at the position next year. We got 3 QB recruits coming in, but none had senior seasons that would lead us to believe they will be Big 10 qbs.

WR: Net loss. We lose one of our all time catch leaders. We also lose our first speedy deep threat in nearly a decade, in Powell. What we have coming back are the 3 white interchangeable WRs (Hillyer, Vandy, and who?), as well as Tavon Smith. Any recruits in the pipeline who have seen action and shown glimpses? None that I can think of, other than Willies, who Kirk ran off by playing favorites and not getting him in the game. If Willies comes back, there is some optimism. If not, we will actually be worse at the position next year than we were this year.

OL: Net loss. We lose our all American left tackle. We replace him with a walkon who will be a soph? We lose our RT and our C. Backing some of these guys up are, none other than, other walkons/2 stars. Any stud 4 star OL recruits in the past few years to reload? Nope.

LB: Net gain. We have one of the worst LB units we have had under Ferentz. We have gone out and recruited no JUCOs or 4 star LB recruits to add depth to the position. Given that two of our starters are walkons/2 stars, don't expect the unit to be much improved next year.

DB: Net gain. We lose one of our best DBs, Loudermilk. Everyone else is back. Hopefully, this means we will be slightly improved at the position.

TE: Draw. We lose our starter, Hamilton, but get Duzy back. We are always stacked at TE, so I foresee us being the same next year.

DL: Net loss. We lose our top to players off the DL, one likely being a first round pick in Davis. The other will likely play on Sundays in Trinca Pasat. We replace them with Bazda and Jaleel Johnson. Neither have really shown enough to be excited about. The DL will be worse next year by quite a bit.

You are wrong on many levels here. The offensive line will be the only area of concern relative to comparing this year and next year.

[h=1]2015 Iowa Hawkeyes Football Schedule[/h]
Date OpponentTime/TVTickets
Saturday
Sept. 5
illinois-st1.gif
Illinois State RedBirds
Kinnick Stadium, Iowa City, IA
TBA---
Saturday
Sept. 12
at Iowa State Cyclones
Jack Trice Stadium, Ames, IA
TBABuy
Tickets
Saturday
Sept. 19
Pittsburgh Panthers
TBA---
Saturday
Sept. 26
North Texas Mean Green
TBA---
Saturday
Oct. 3
at Wisconsin Badgers
Camp Randall Stadium, Madison, WI
TBA---
Saturday
Oct. 10
Illinois Fighting Illini
TBA---
Saturday
Oct. 17
at Northwestern Wildcats
Ryan Field, Evanston, IL
TBA---
Saturday
Oct. 24
---Open Date------
Saturday
Oct. 31
Maryland Terrapins
TBA---
Saturday
Nov. 7
at Indiana Hoosiers
Memorial Stadium, Bloomington, IN
TBA---
Saturday
Nov. 14
Minnesota Golden Gophers
TBA---
Saturday
Nov. 21
Purdue Boilermakers
TBA---
Friday
Nov. 27
at Nebraska Cornhuskers
Memorial Stadium, Lincoln, NE
TBA

I see 7-8 wins on this schedule. Losses to ISU (make me puke to write that, but chalk up as a loss as long as Ferentz is coach), Wisconsin, Northwestern, Indiana (or Minny I think Iowa loses to Minny or Indiana but not both), Nebraska (though it all depends with Nebraska and their mental state at the time).

I actually see Weismann leaving as a huge loss, he's not the prototypical great back, but his ability to pick up 3 and 2's is priceless, especially since ioway offense has been on 3rd down most of the year.

I see the QB situation as being a Draw, I can't see a huge benefit to CJB transferring, he's going to sit out next year either way, plus Rudock could go down anytime. It'll be the same next year as now.

WR will be a draw too, KMM dropped way to many passes, I see tevaun smith and possibly willies being better options long term.

LBs have to be a gain, simply because there is no where to go but up. I like the progress that Jewell and bower have made. They aren't angerer or greenway, but serviceable.

The D-line will be a draw, the o- line has to be a gain. Sure Scherff will be gone, but the other guys with another year of growth should be fine, plus the o-line hasn't been that great to me anyways

Sometimes during "rebuilding years" like this year, hawk fans can remain upbeat because there are some young studs in the pipeline who have shown great potential and very few seniors graduating. Sadly, this years team leaves virtually no optimism for next year. Recruiting has taken a turn for the worst ever since the new staff came aboard. Thus, given this year's team's performance and the high number of seniors on it, next years is going to be worse. Let's look at what we lose:

RB: Draw. Our three year starter at RB, one of the school's career leaders, is gone. Also, our 3rd down back who has caught more passes than any rb in recent history graduates. Some optimism with Wadley and Canzeri coming back, but neither has proved to be even an average Big 10 RB. If Canzeri can stay healthy, he will be serviceable. Maybe Daniels can come back strong?

QB: Net loss (if CJ leaves). In all likelihood, our QB with the most potential and the biggest arm, CJ, is gone after this season. No one would blame him. The coach has made it clear that no matter how well CJ plays, Jake has been his man since he won the job 2 years ago and Kirk "hasn't given any thought to" changing that decision. So next year we are left with Jake. The guy who makes a living at check downs and gets happy feet at the slightest sign of pressure. He has shown glimpses of potential, but more often than not (including against Wisconsin, when the tv commentators were even asking Kirk to put in the backup), he is a "game manager," who can lead a team to a 7-5 record at best. If CJ is gone, we are the same or worse off at the position next year. We got 3 QB recruits coming in, but none had senior seasons that would lead us to believe they will be Big 10 qbs.

WR: Net loss. We lose one of our all time catch leaders. We also lose our first speedy deep threat in nearly a decade, in Powell. What we have coming back are the 3 white interchangeable WRs (Hillyer, Vandy, and who?), as well as Tavon Smith. Any recruits in the pipeline who have seen action and shown glimpses? None that I can think of, other than Willies, who Kirk ran off by playing favorites and not getting him in the game. If Willies comes back, there is some optimism. If not, we will actually be worse at the position next year than we were this year.

OL: Net loss. We lose our all American left tackle. We replace him with a walkon who will be a soph? We lose our RT and our C. Backing some of these guys up are, none other than, other walkons/2 stars. Any stud 4 star OL recruits in the past few years to reload? Nope.

LB: Net gain. We have one of the worst LB units we have had under Ferentz. We have gone out and recruited no JUCOs or 4 star LB recruits to add depth to the position. Given that two of our starters are walkons/2 stars, don't expect the unit to be much improved next year.

DB: Net gain. We lose one of our best DBs, Loudermilk. Everyone else is back. Hopefully, this means we will be slightly improved at the position.

TE: Draw. We lose our starter, Hamilton, but get Duzy back. We are always stacked at TE, so I foresee us being the same next year.

DL: Net loss. We lose our top to players off the DL, one likely being a first round pick in Davis. The other will likely play on Sundays in Trinca Pasat. We replace them with Bazda and Jaleel Johnson. Neither have really shown enough to be excited about. The DL will be worse next year by quite a bit.

Really disagree with most of this post. I'm not going to break it down line by line, but you are not analyzing who is coming back, and who is showing promise for next year. In addition, there is zero analysis of what the other teams lose. Many of them lose a lot.

FAIL

We lose our all American left tackle. We replace him with a walkon who will be a soph

Why, in the name of all that is Holy is that even remotely necessary? Iowa churns out pro offensive linlinemen like butter. How is it that we are reloading with a walk on? Of everything that Ferentz does, that this is necessary because he can't recruit his strength better than anyone else out there, is absolutely inexcusable. 6 more years of this will do more damage than the 70s ever did to the Hawks.

We lose our all American left tackle. We replace him with a walkon who will be a soph

Why, in the name of all that is Holy is that even remotely necessary? Iowa churns out pro offensive linlinemen like butter. How is it that we are reloading with a walk on? Of everything that Ferentz does, that this is necessary because he can't recruit his strength better than anyone else out there, is absolutely inexcusable. 6 more years of this will do more damage than the 70s ever did to the Hawks.

Calm down. Our left tackle next year won't be a walkon.

Really disagree with most of this post. I'm not going to break it down line by line, but you are not analyzing who is coming back, and who is showing promise for next year. In addition, there is zero analysis of what the other teams lose. Many of them lose a lot.

FAIL

I agree 100% with your statement. I look forward to Friday's game; I look forward to every fall; some are more enjoyable than others.

RB will be better next year. I would actually wager that Iowa's average yards per run next year will be improved. I think the back seven will play better. Jaleel has played well this year and Cooper will also return, so the defense has a chance to be net even next year, IMO.

I won't debate that CJB could be gone, as there is no doubt Jake will be the starter if he stays healthy in Iowa's last two games. Yes, Iowa loses KMM, who would have a hard time starting for any of the B1G's upper division teams. If Willies gets back in, he and Smith could be a pretty nice 1-2 punch.

The OL will be a big question, but I think they can put enough pieces together to be competent.

The schedule isn't as favorable as this year given Wisky and Nebraska are on the road, but it's hardly what I would call tough....other than, tough to sell season tickets into.

The biggest issue remains...do you have faith in that anything is going to change with this regime as it relates to how they choose to attack offensively? Will there all of the sudden be rhyme and reason to the offensive game plan, or flow in games? I won't hold my breath.

I'll wager the D will be better. LB is so key to our scheme, the young guys have improved and flashed some toughness yesterday, there's hope.

I'll wager the D will be better. LB is so key to our scheme, the young guys have improved and flashed some toughness yesterday, there's hope.

Our scheme has always been dependent on the linebackers, no doubt. And we have some depth at DL, despite losing a couple of horses.

Weisman's departure is interesting. It's easy to see that we're losing a tough guy who really produced. Gotta love Mark Weisman. But with him gone it also forces Ferentz to play somebody that looks more like a true RB...not a converted full back. I'm sure Kirk will spend many nights curled up in a corner without the comfort of his security blanket...but it may be a net positive for the offense as a whole. Ferentz only changes when he absolutely has to (often in the second half when we're behind and/or it's too late...see yesterday's game). With Weisman gone, he'll have to.

FAIL

Agree. The analysis is static. Some of these guys will get a lot better, some not so much. Others will emerge. Look at Mabin this year, I'd say he's playing as well as King right now - who knew he'd emerge at the end of last year. Cooper is coming back on the DL. They'll be short at OT, but the guard and center play will be fine. Not saying they'll be better than this year, but I don't see them being worse. My guess is they'll end up just about like this year, which is the typical Ferentz team any more.

Latest posts