Scary Thought: Next Year's Team Will Be Significantly WORSE

I agree with those who say next year will be similar to this year. Unless the head coach or OC has a brain vein blockage that gets unblocked to change their behavior, or they are replaced with someone more competent, I expect a similar year. Cupcake schedule for 2015 and highly erratic play due to how we run our offense in games determines this, it's been our M.O. for some time now.

Damn we need to change something this year, we have two games left to shoot all our bullets. We got a couple guys that need some Gable face slapping to wake them up before games. Jeeeshhhh!

It's never too early to ask for next years Xmas presents I guess... Who knows how next year shapes up. Losing Beathard would be just such a crap shoot. Cause it doesn't matter unless JR can't go. That leaves 2 yrs down the road to worry about him and whatever impact he may have. (I can't wait to see more of Weigers in the spring next year)

As the rest of the team goes patching together the Oline would seem to be the most obvious. Losing an All American and a couple other good players won't just be that easy.

I'm not as worried about WRs. I think KMM is easily replaced. Vandeberg might be better then him now he's quicker and faster it looks like to me. Powell just hasn't been used a lot. I wish we were going to miss him. And if Willies comes back hopefully he'll be in there a lot more. Smith should be pretty darn good with another year of chemistry with JR.

RBs I'm not worried about either as they'll have lots of bodies there and very well may be better. I think they'll have more speed/quickness with Wadley/Canzeri/Parker getting more of the reps with Daniels being the short yardage tank. Pass blocking might take a hit losing Bullock but so long as the Oline does their job I like RB group. (I also like Smith and the other stud recruit they having coming in but I hope they won't have to play right away)

This is where I may get people disagreeing with me and thats at DL. I think there won't be much of a drop off there if any. I think Johnson and Cooper can be all that Davis and LTP have been this year. Cooper when healthy is a pretty quick guy reminds me of Babinauex. And with Ott and Meir a year older I think they'll be a solid unit.

LBs well to keep it short they can't be worse...

DBs only losing Lowdermilk so their might be a drop off with tackling but he never was that great at coverage. I think they've recruited a handful of athletes coming up at those spots too so if they can fill out and learn the game they should be good there too.

Thats my way too early two cents worth anyway

The loss of slightly better than average guys like Weisman, KMM, or Donnell, on the surface doesn't seem like a killer by itself. But when you go back and realize that it's been literally YEARS since we landed a high profile recruit (or even the top player in Iowa), a 4 star gem that everyone is eager to see play, you get a lack of enthusiasm for next year.

When we signed Powell, the JUCO with the highest yrds per catch average in the country, we had reason for some hope even though he wasn't highly recruited. When we signed guys like Weghers, who set the world on fire in HS, we couldn't wait to see what he could do. Same with blue chippers like Coker, Moeake, Christian Ballard, Keenan Davis, or Garmon. Whether they reached their potential or not, at least there were rumblings about how they were destined for greatness beginning their freshmen years. Cause for hope that this team would be fun to watch in the future.

What young up and comer do we have on this roster or in the recruiting class coming in? Nothing remotely like that.

Sometimes during "rebuilding years" like this year, hawk fans can remain upbeat because there are some young studs in the pipeline who have shown great potential and very few seniors graduating. Sadly, this years team leaves virtually no optimism for next year. Recruiting has taken a turn for the worst ever since the new staff came aboard. Thus, given this year's team's performance and the high number of seniors on it, next years is going to be worse. Let's look at what we lose:

RB: Draw. Our three year starter at RB, one of the school's career leaders, is gone. Also, our 3rd down back who has caught more passes than any rb in recent history graduates. Some optimism with Wadley and Canzeri coming back, but neither has proved to be even an average Big 10 RB. If Canzeri can stay healthy, he will be serviceable. Maybe Daniels can come back strong?

QB: Net loss (if CJ leaves). In all likelihood, our QB with the most potential and the biggest arm, CJ, is gone after this season. No one would blame him. The coach has made it clear that no matter how well CJ plays, Jake has been his man since he won the job 2 years ago and Kirk "hasn't given any thought to" changing that decision. So next year we are left with Jake. The guy who makes a living at check downs and gets happy feet at the slightest sign of pressure. He has shown glimpses of potential, but more often than not (including against Wisconsin, when the tv commentators were even asking Kirk to put in the backup), he is a "game manager," who can lead a team to a 7-5 record at best. If CJ is gone, we are the same or worse off at the position next year. We got 3 QB recruits coming in, but none had senior seasons that would lead us to believe they will be Big 10 qbs.

WR: Net loss. We lose one of our all time catch leaders. We also lose our first speedy deep threat in nearly a decade, in Powell. What we have coming back are the 3 white interchangeable WRs (Hillyer, Vandy, and who?), as well as Tavon Smith. Any recruits in the pipeline who have seen action and shown glimpses? None that I can think of, other than Willies, who Kirk ran off by playing favorites and not getting him in the game. If Willies comes back, there is some optimism. If not, we will actually be worse at the position next year than we were this year.

OL: Net loss. We lose our all American left tackle. We replace him with a walkon who will be a soph? We lose our RT and our C. Backing some of these guys up are, none other than, other walkons/2 stars. Any stud 4 star OL recruits in the past few years to reload? Nope.

LB: Net gain. We have one of the worst LB units we have had under Ferentz. We have gone out and recruited no JUCOs or 4 star LB recruits to add depth to the position. Given that two of our starters are walkons/2 stars, don't expect the unit to be much improved next year.

DB: Net gain. We lose one of our best DBs, Loudermilk. Everyone else is back. Hopefully, this means we will be slightly improved at the position.

TE: Draw. We lose our starter, Hamilton, but get Duzy back. We are always stacked at TE, so I foresee us being the same next year.

DL: Net loss. We lose our top to players off the DL, one likely being a first round pick in Davis. The other will likely play on Sundays in Trinca Pasat. We replace them with Bazda and Jaleel Johnson. Neither have really shown enough to be excited about. The DL will be worse next year by quite a bit.

Boy, 25 minutes you'll never get back in your life and all for 14 thumbs down!! Lol. :D

I actually see Weismann leaving as a huge loss, he's not the prototypical great back, but his ability to pick up 3 and 2's is priceless, especially since ioway offense has been on 3rd down most of the year.

I see the QB situation as being a Draw, I can't see a huge benefit to CJB transferring, he's going to sit out next year either way, plus Rudock could go down anytime. It'll be the same next year as now.

WR will be a draw too, KMM dropped way to many passes, I see tevaun smith and possibly willies being better options long term.

LBs have to be a gain, simply because there is no where to go but up. I like the progress that Jewell and bower have made. They aren't angerer or greenway, but serviceable.

The D-line will be a draw, the o- line has to be a gain. Sure Scherff will be gone, but the other guys with another year of growth should be fine, plus the o-line hasn't been that great to me anyways
for every tough 2yard carry for Weisman, he has left a ton of yards that a spee d true rb would have gained. I fault kf for using a true fb as an rb. For this reason I am glad he will be gone and a real rb will play the position.

Geez, he's really the best we have right now. For everything else you could blame on KF, I'm not sure this is one of them unless you tie in recruiting somewhere.

Haven't seen anyone mention Jay Scheel. Hopefully Willies is allowed back in and these guys can give the WR corps some kick.

Isn't that usually how these things progress. We can see it happening right before our eyes, and can't do anything about it. 8-4 this year 7-5 the next 6-6 the next 5-7 the next.Then Kf rides off into the sunset making sure he has sucked every bit of excitement and hope out of a once proud program. God I hope that isn't the case, but you have to admit it has the feeling of it. My kids are missing out on some extremely important formative Hawkeye fan years, it is hard to argue why a kid should like Iowa over Oregon, other than the "Well you live in Iowa" Think about it when we were kids the Hawks were relevant even to the point of being ranked #1 at one point, unless your really old and want to talk about the pre-Hayden days. In the end though even Hayden held on too long and left a ditch to dig out off. Please Hayden give KF a call and have a heart to heart about knowing when it is time.

Makes you wonder what happened to our recruiting efforts? I see it as a three pronged fail. The first problem is the fact that I think the new regime is not hungry enough on the recruiting front. I see it as more of the second generation business owner that drives daddys once proud business into the ground. They don't do all the necessary hard work and dad kinda looks the other way and this I think is part of it. Brian is riding dads coat tails and perhaps doesn't want to hang out in the far reaches of small *** towns across the midwest in hopes that a 2 star guy will latch onto our program. The second reason is due in part to kirks lack of innovation. Why does the 4 star tail back sign on board after watching Mark Wiesman repeatedly sent out on stretch plays to gain 1 yard. Or on 3rd and 2 we send him right up the middle when almost everyone in the stadium including the opposing cheerleaders know what we are doing. Finally it's on Kirk himself. I think while he may be the honest guy that he is portrayed I also think he too probably has lost some of his charisma that comes along with wining 10 games every 8 years. It probably is pretty tough walking into a family room fresh off a loss to Iowa State or getting schlacked by Minnesota. He seems a bit jaded compared to watching clips of 2004-08. 500 ball will do that but the recruiting I think is as important as any. If you get better talent then they don't have to play that perfect game to beat a Wisky. If you have better players you don't have to develop a 190 lb from Elk Horn into 240lb beast. You take the 3 star kid from florida that is already 225 and runs a 4.6 and you develop that. Instead he wants to reminisce about said Elk Horn Jimmy who wouldn't see a down at Wisky or for that matter at Minnesota now. If we recruit better it makes your tackling better, your execution better, and all the things that plague our program. The staff needs to get hungry and get after it on the recruiting trail.

Makes you wonder what happened to our recruiting efforts? I see it as a three pronged fail. The first problem is the fact that I think the new regime is not hungry enough on the recruiting front. I see it as more of the second generation business owner that drives daddys once proud business into the ground. They don't do all the necessary hard work and dad kinda looks the other way and this I think is part of it. Brian is riding dads coat tails and perhaps doesn't want to hang out in the far reaches of small *** towns across the midwest in hopes that a 2 star guy will latch onto our program. The second reason is due in part to kirks lack of innovation. Why does the 4 star tail back sign on board after watching Mark Wiesman repeatedly sent out on stretch plays to gain 1 yard. Or on 3rd and 2 we send him right up the middle when almost everyone in the stadium including the opposing cheerleaders know what we are doing. Finally it's on Kirk himself. I think while he may be the honest guy that he is portrayed I also think he too probably has lost some of his charisma that comes along with wining 10 games every 8 years. It probably is pretty tough walking into a family room fresh off a loss to Iowa State or getting schlacked by Minnesota. He seems a bit jaded compared to watching clips of 2004-08. 500 ball will do that but the recruiting I think is as important as any. If you get better talent then they don't have to play that perfect game to beat a Wisky. If you have better players you don't have to develop a 190 lb from Elk Horn into 240lb beast. You take the 3 star kid from florida that is already 225 and runs a 4.6 and you develop that. Instead he wants to reminisce about said Elk Horn Jimmy who wouldn't see a down at Wisky or for that matter at Minnesota now. If we recruit better it makes your tackling better, your execution better, and all the things that plague our program. The staff needs to get hungry and get after it on the recruiting trail.

Man, you got this recruiting thing figured out. You should probably email KF and let them know about this, it would really make us a better team.

Again.. the last 2 classes we've gotten in have been pretty solid. That makes those kids Jrs and RS So next year.

I still fail to see how current recruiting is the problem.. recent recruiting has been steady and improving. I think we'll begin to see some results going forward.

I can't fathom how anyone can say recent and current recruiting is the problem

Isn't that usually how these things progress. We can see it happening right before our eyes, and can't do anything about it. 8-4 this year 7-5 the next 6-6 the next 5-7 the next.Then Kf rides off into the sunset making sure he has sucked every bit of excitement and hope out of a once proud program. God I hope that isn't the case, but you have to admit it has the feeling of it. My kids are missing out on some extremely important formative Hawkeye fan years, it is hard to argue why a kid should like Iowa over Oregon, other than the "Well you live in Iowa" Think about it when we were kids the Hawks were relevant even to the point of being ranked #1 at one point, unless your really old and want to talk about the pre-Hayden days. In the end though even Hayden held on too long and left a ditch to dig out off. Please Hayden give KF a call and have a heart to heart about knowing when it is time.

There are some of us who grew up Iowa fans when teams were winning 1-2 games a year and never considered being a Oregon fan. Hayden may not be the right person to ask. He left things pretty bad. I still love HF

This is not a recruiting issue, YET! This is a coaching issue, offensive scheming issue and not putting the BEST players in a position to WIN! The coaches are not putting the players and team in the best position to succeed.

Uhh Churlish - what are you basing your clueless, unsubstantiated claims on? How have the last 2 classes been "pretty solid?" How is recruiting "improving." Try using facts to support your kindergarten argument. The fact is, per rivals.com, last year's recruiting class was ranked 59th in the country, one of the lowest rankings not just in the conference but of any BCS team. Two years ago's classes was ranked 53rd, without a single 4 star or 5 star recruit. Recruiting has been awful. Prior to that, the classes were considerably better (3 years ago, when the old staff was around, the class was ranked 43rd and actually had 4 star recruits).

So again I ask, aside from being a homer, where do you see the improvement and "solid" classes?

Again.. the last 2 classes we've gotten in have been pretty solid. That makes those kids Jrs and RS So next year.

I still fail to see how current recruiting is the problem.. recent recruiting has been steady and improving. I think we'll begin to see some results going forward.

I can't fathom how anyone can say recent and current recruiting is the problem

Uhh Churlish - what are you basing your clueless, unsubstantiated claims on? How have the last 2 classes been "pretty solid?" How is recruiting "improving." Try using facts to support your kindergarten argument. The fact is, per rivals.com, last year's recruiting class was ranked 59th in the country, one of the lowest rankings not just in the conference but of any BCS team. Two years ago's classes was ranked 53rd, without a single 4 star or 5 star recruit. Recruiting has been awful. Prior to that, the classes were considerably better (3 years ago, when the old staff was around, the class was ranked 43rd and actually had 4 star recruits).

So again I ask, aside from being a homer, where do you see the improvement and "solid" classes?

BUT......BOB SANDERS!!!!

I would say there's potential to be worse but as much or more potential to be better. I see qb as no gain or loss. Since CJ isn't playing we don't lose much. We do lose potential but that's not really measurable on the field. At running back I think we gain. I appreciate what Mark Weisman has done but next year we might see a combo of Canzeri/Daniels and get a little more diversified. Of course qb and rb will depend on offensive game planning. Ol will be a push. We haven't played that well and if we have a walk on playing left tackle it will be because he earned it.
Tight end will be a push. Under utilized this year. We actually might be better here if we actually use them.
Wide receiver might be a slight drop. Like qb we aren't using the speed factor that much so it's hard to quantify the loss.
D-line, I could see some drop off here. I think we have the players to replace our seniors but it's the leadership at this group I wonder about.
Linebackers I think we'll see a big improvement and we might see Bower or Jewell become the leaders of this team.
Secondary might be a little better just from the experience factor.
Kicking will hopefully improve. Khoen has been fairly good since his rough starts and kick offs are real good. Punting, what do we have to lose.
As usual, coaching might be our biggest obstacle, we'll see.

I agree with those who say next year will be similar to this year. Unless the head coach or OC has a brain vein blockage that gets unblocked to change their behavior, or they are replaced with someone more competent, I expect a similar year. Cupcake schedule for 2015 and highly erratic play due to how we run our offense in games determines this, it's been our M.O. for some time now.

Damn we need to change something this year, we have two games left to shoot all our bullets. We got a couple guys that need some Gable face slapping to wake them up before games. Jeeeshhhh!

Far be it from me to to call those guys out ( ;) ) but is it possible their initials are K.F. and G.D. ??

I'm pretty far from an example of a homer on these boards.

Furthermore, anyone that typed out the OP here (and that is their understanding of the program) can't be taken seriously.

Hey! I resemble that remark!

The really old guys remember being ranked #1 under Evy. Me, I'm 58. I didn't go to Iowa except for some grad school classes. I became an Iowa fan during the dark years between Evy and Hayden. BUT I AM ***NOT*** REALLY OLD!!!

Latest posts