Saturday's High Temp Reaching Dangerous Levels

I've had heat stroke several times it's scary. The last time it was humid and hot as hell. Basically, your body starts shutting down. I stumbled into the house and collapsed on the kitchen floor. I will be feeling damn sorry for the players, but they'll surely have some of the big ac's on the sideline.

Pussie

Why skip the beer? Enjoy a few and celebrate the start of the best time of year. Just make sure you are hydrating while you're drinking.

Also, as you said, the change of clothes to bring with is ESSENTIAL.

You can't drink all day if you don't start in the cool of the morning....

I've been on mountains in the Sonora desert in the blazing heat of July. This "heat" is kind of not all that IMHO.

Do hydrate though.

I've been on mountains in the Sonora desert in the blazing heat of July. This "heat" is kind of not all that IMHO.

Do hydrate though.

have you played football on 95+ degree air temp day, on artificial turf filled with black shards of tire, dressed in black with full pads and helmet? by 2:30, who knows what that playing surface temp will be. no humidity in your desert, makes a big difference, as you know.

check out the average temps on different athletic fields in this study (can't imagine what the surface temp of kinnick will be at 2:30...)

http://aces.nmsu.edu/programs/turf/documents/brigham-young-study.pdf

Do hydrate though.

Is there no limits to your accomplishments? Even the desert heat can't touch Thunder! ;) I think we should start calling you "Airman"

a-legend-is-born-origins-tribute-roasted-airman-cubby-demotivational-poster-1277781231.jpg

WTF could this topic have in it that would be cause for 5+ pages of commentary?

This forum has got it goin on man.

WTF could this topic have in it that would be cause for 5+ pages of commentary?

This forum has got it goin on man.
That's what I originally thought, but then think about it...1) everybody is returning to HN for gameweek, 2) it's hot out, so everyone is inside at their form of PC, and C) it's an indirect way for some to bit@h about how the athletic dept is again doing something wrong.

Crazy....oh and to those who want to avoid the sun and really peeoff your benchmate.... use Bullfrog, don't use antiperspirant, and wear a sombrero!

This means the start time is not changing.

Wear your cargo shorts with like a dozen pockets and fill em' all with Aquafinas. Wear two camelbacks too, just to be sure. Misting stations need to be on little radio controlled drones that zoom around.

Last edited:
i would venture a guess that the UofI will be more concerned with player safety than they will be the competitive advantage. if NIU doesn't bring their own, i guarantee iowa will provide them

I'm sure UofI is thinking that......just like BOTH teams having PINK locker rooms.

Is it the sun that causes heat exhaustion or the heat? I would think it's more the heat. Sure seems to me like the hottest time of the day in the past several years has been moved back to like 2-6 or even 2-7. I remember awhile ago it used to be 11-2 or 11-3, but for some reason I feel like it has changed. I think 11 am would be better as far as the actual temperature goes. These last few days the high temp of the day (97, 98, 99) hasn't been reached until later in the afternoon.

To answer part of your thinking... it depends what part of the summer it is as to when the hottest time of the day is. This time of the year we typically don't see the hottest part of the day past about 4 to 5 pm. However in early June or July we can see the most heat from 6 to even 7 or eight. Sun angle allows more heat to escape the atmosphere later in the day closer to dusk.
The reason it isn't right in the middle of the day is that it is a cummulative effect of the heat building throughout the day. Drier climates build that heat way faster than around here. Windier days can heat faster too. I'm not sure when the hottest part of the day was 11-2 or 11-3 unless it was the middle of January. Then it makes more sense.

Yeah, I'm putting the nerd in Herkeynerd with this one.;)

To answer part of your thinking... it depends what part of the summer it is as to when the hottest time of the day is. This time of the year we typically don't see the hottest part of the day past about 4 to 5 pm. However in early June or July we can see the most heat from 6 to even 7 or eight. Sun angle allows more heat to escape the atmosphere later in the day closer to dusk.
The reason it isn't right in the middle of the day is that it is a cummulative effect of the heat building throughout the day. Drier climates build that heat way faster than around here. Windier days can heat faster too. I'm not sure when the hottest part of the day was 11-2 or 11-3 unless it was the middle of January. Then it makes more sense.

Well, I see why you chose your name.

Well, I see why you chose your name.

Thanks Spark. I took a weather class in college and it is probably the one class I remember the most from. I've always been fascinated by why weather happens. My fear of bad storms when I was young must have driven me to understand it more.

Thanks Spark. I took a weather class in college and it is probably the one class I remember the most from. I've always been fascinated by why weather happens. My fear of bad storms when I was young must have driven me to understand it more.

That's cool and you're more than welcome to drop weather insights around here anytime.

Hmmm interesting little bits of information there Herkey. Thanks for the tips. I knew the time of year had something to do with it, but I had no clue why. Also... I don't know why and I certainly don't have any scientific knowledge to back it up, but for some reason I do feel like a decade ago the hottest time of the day was early afternoon. It seems like it's slowly moving back. Everyone blames everything on global warming so I guess I always figured that was why. More than likely I'm just losing my mind.

Latest posts