Satisfying Season

So, when you demand better, do you demand it of players who commit stupid/egregious turnovers or penalties?

And if that's on KF for being a "poor recruiter", why would you expect 10-win seasons?

players can execute the hell out of the wrong play called at the wrong time and the play will fail. you're really conflating a lot of things here. i am fair in my assessments, pro and con, of kirk, brian, the staff and their players. you're trying to create statements i didn't make and use that to argue against my point.

Do you think we should have beaten jNW? I do. Do you think we should have beaten MSU? I do. Do you think we should have beaten PU? I do. I do because our offense score just 2 times in each of those games and we lost by 7 or less in each. Please answer my questions.

In the MSU game, do you blame the "coaching" for egregiously stupid turnovers? In the NW game, do you blame a clear drop in OT on "coaching"?

I get that the game plans weren't the best. But to say "execution" is strictly about "coaching" is disingenuous. It's sorta like those who blame KF for poor recruiting, then say with our talent we should have been a 9-win or 10-win team this year.

One simply can't have their "choices" to determine whether someone is a good coach/player/etc.

Yeah I see your point. I guess I don't know who to blame for running into stacked defenses on the short side of the field for four quarters.
I also don't know who to blame for a QB to audible a run to the other side of the field and watching the defense shift at the same time to stack that side too and the corners releasing receivers down field to play the run.
I guess I don't know who is at fault for predictability! Oh well that's football I guess.

why can't Iowa just be Wisconsin level? is it too much to ask? Barry Alvarez is a genius but Iowa has an incompetent coach and AD. Both schools play extremely boring football. In your words, just win games. Put the best year back in and it's 83-60. Just win games. Just be Wisky.

DSJf9wpU8AARxYD.jpg:large

Take out prior to 2010 on and leave out the best season of each team. 48 wins to 71. Ya we're equal.

I am yearning for the 1898-1901 stretch where we won 23 consecutive games without allowing a TD.

Talk about boring football! Guys with no facemasks--prolly no helmets, period--dominating opponents so badly they never even score or keep games close? No thanks. :)

Yeah I see your point. I guess I don't know who to blame for running into stacked defenses on the short side of the field for four quarters.
I also don't know who to blame for a QB to audible a run to the other side of the field and watching the defense shift at the same time to stack that side too and the corners releasing receivers down field to play the run.
I guess I don't know who is at fault for predictability! Oh well that's football I guess.

As I said, game plans were far from ideal. But you don't run triple-reverse passes with guys who fumble and drop above one's particular comfort level.

This season - the highs were pretty high, the lows were pretty low. Iowa seems to always have a big win or two, but a loss or two that make you scratch your head. This year was no exception.

Finally winning a bowl game is nice, even if it's a lower tier game. If Iowa wins 8-9 in the regular season, they get a better bowl but probably get stomped again, though.

In the end, 8-5. Decent but It was a very typical season of Iowa football in my mind. Not bad, not great.

My thoughts on the program overall haven't really changed from a year ago. We're honestly pretty average these days when it comes down to it.

An unhealthy college football program isn’t winning 8 games Gold..

Iowa gets 2 gimmies a year. Take that out and it's 6-6. If mediocre is the standard than that is your standard. If 250 yards or less in 5 of 13 games is your standard than be happy about it. Since 2009, Wisky has 21 more wins over 8 seasons. That's almost three more wins. I'd be OK to split the difference. Expect to see more attempts at Ferentzing in the future rather than OSU or Nebby.

Iowa gets 2 gimmies a year. Take that out and it's 6-6. If mediocre is the standard than that is your standard. If 250 yards or less in 5 of 13 games is your standard than be happy about it.

Every team in CFB gets 2 gimmes a year, Iowa is not different to that fact.

If you take out 2010 - and act like 2015 didn't happen and you stand on one leg while saying the alphabet backwards... Iowa looks really bad at football.

players can execute the hell out of the wrong play called at the wrong time and the play will fail. you're really conflating a lot of things here. i am fair in my assessments, pro and con, of kirk, brian, the staff and their players. you're trying to create statements i didn't make and use that to argue against my point.

Do you think we should have beaten jNW? I do. Do you think we should have beaten MSU? I do. Do you think we should have beaten PU? I do. I do because our offense score just 2 times in each of those games and we lost by 7 or less in each. Please answer my questions.

Yes on NW, no on MSU. They are flat-out better, IMO. By a lot? Probably not. But better? Yes. And NW finished on a 7-game winning streak. That is NOT a "bad" team by any stretch.

Purdue? I'm not EVEN sure what the hell happened with that game. Definitely a puzzler. Still, not as puzzling as the O$U game. but a puzzler nonetheless.

Take away a missed tackle for a 60 yard gain, a missed block in the back and a hold on the same play, and a fluke tipped TD, and BC has 13 less points as well.

Cherry pick all you want, Iowa straight up won.

BC went 5-1 in the last half of the regular season, including beating the Louisville in a shootout and throttling FSU. They weren't the Patriots, but they weren't slouches either.

200 yards of offense isn't a straight up win while the other team has 350. It's Ferentzing and some of us don't like it. It's like Grinnell in basketball in reverse. Like MSU trailing Iowa 8-6 in basketball when Lute was here. It wasn't Lute's fault. It was Jud's doing.

Every team in CFB gets 2 gimmes a year, Iowa is not different to that fact.

You just made my point. The number of wins Iowa has is irrelevant. It is mediocre at best compared to teams that are P5 or similar. Iowa is average. I'm not OK with that. Apparently you are. What is the point. It's like we are in the twilight zone of football. Take a good look at the program.
clip.small.gif

You just made my point. The number of wins Iowa has is irrelevant. It is mediocre at best compared to teams that are P5 or similar. Iowa is average. I'm not OK with that. Apparently you are. What is the point. It's like we are in the twilight zone of football. Take a good look at the program.
clip.small.gif

only 23 programs in the country, that's P5, everything, have won 7 games or more every season over the last 3. Iowa is one of them. That seems better then average to me. I am not ok with average, thankfully Iowa has been a little better as of late so I don't have to be upset.

This season - the highs were pretty high, the lows were pretty low. Iowa seems to always have a big win or two, but a loss or two that make you scratch your head. This year was no exception.

Finally winning a bowl game is nice, even if it's a lower tier game. If Iowa wins 8-9 in the regular season, they get a better bowl but probably get stomped again, though.

In the end, 8-5. Decent but It was a very typical season of Iowa football in my mind. Not bad, not great.

My thoughts on the program overall haven't really changed from a year ago. We're honestly pretty average these days when it comes down to it.

In that regard, Fry and Ferentz are remarkably similar. Win bowl games against "average-caliber" teams, with the occasional "big" bowl win. But there's a bit of a caveat. Folks that trumpet Fry playing the superior non-con schedule have to also note that two of his bowl wins, plus his tie, came against non-P5 teams. Of his 14 bowl games, 3 were against non-P5 (although the 1991 Holiday was against BYU, certainly a "good" program). KF has had 15 bowl appearances, all against P5 teams.

Nonetheless, remarkably similar.

only 23 programs in the country, that's P5, everything, have won 7 games or more every season over the last 3. Iowa is one of them. That seems better then average to me. I am not ok with average, thankfully Iowa has been a little better as of late so I don't have to be upset.

How do you take out 2 patsies from a 7.5 average and come up with anything much more than 5.5 wins against 4.5 losses. Given that several teams are terrible, that means a very poor record against decent teams.

Cherry picking 8 years. OK add the best seasons back in . Iowa has a very comparable 60 wins to 83. That's just under 3 more wins. Very comparable.
giphy.gif

Wisci has been elite recently, I won't argue that, only a fool would. Over the last 30 years, the programs are fairly close.

why can't Iowa just be Wisconsin level? is it too much to ask? Barry Alvarez is a genius but Iowa has an incompetent coach and AD. Both schools play extremely boring football.

DSJf9wpU8AARxYD.jpg:large

143 wins with an incompetent coach. Hmmm, imagine how many we would have one with a coach who was competent.

Latest posts