Satisfied with coaching staff?

Satisfied with overall coaching changes?

• Yes, good hires and/or exactly what was needed for the program

Votes: 79 74.5%
  • Indifferent, boring hires and/or you don't forsee much changing with the program

Votes: 24 22.6%
  • No, bad hires and/or the hires will make the program worse

Votes: 3 2.8%

• Total voters
I love the hires. Keeps what is great about Hawkeye Football, keeps extreme loyalty to all things Hawkeye (only outsider is a loyal guy), and adds a lot on the recruiting front with connections and young guys that have the tools to be great.

We lost 3 coaches, and the 3 newbies brought in are an NFL vet, that has already been learning the ropes. A NFL coach who has spent the last few years learning directly from the best coach of our era and just coached the single greatest season ever at his position. And a coach with a ton of experience, muiltiple BCS wins, a national title, and a ton of connections to the greatest high school football state in the nation.

Homerun. The guys that wanted some "gimmick" to come in on offense need to look no further than Bill Callahan in Nebby.

The one "hire" I'm most excited about is the move of Reese Morgan to DL coach.

If you look back at the last 13 years, our greatest teams have had one thing in common.....a tough, aggressive, standout defensive line.

Over the last 4 or 5 years, we've lost far too many DL and I think the movement of Morgan to DL coach will accomplish two things:

1. It will, I believe, lessen the attrition we've seen over the past several years, which will allow us to develop d-linemen at a better rate.

2. Because Morgan is the consumate teacher, I believe that the overall play of the DL will improve dramatically.

In our system, having a killer DL is paramount. It allows us to rush only 4 and allow the linebackers to roam and make plays....either by limiting the rushing game or covering backs/TEs in the passing game. If you look at 2002, 2003, 2004, 2008 and 2009 we had great defensive lines and I don't think it's a coincidence that those were our best years, record-wise.

I am excited to see what Reese can do moving forward.

wild bull pumfus great! i always like to watch texas and i think we`ll have texas style offense . nebraska is gonna wish they stay in big 12!

These appear to be great hires on the surface. Nobody really knows how Davis will fit in and nobody really knows how any of the hires will work out. I suspect that the Offense will be better and the Defense will be about the same. If those things are true...they are FANTASTIC hires.

Ask me at the end of next season, and then again after 2 seasons.

This ^ is the correct response and regardless of the new coaches this is still Kurt's program and thus still going to see more punts inside the 40 and taking a knee on the last possession before half.

Ilike the hiring of BF as he brings youth and has the experience and knowledge of OL play, so i doubt we see any drop off. in fact there could be a pickup in getting some of the top targets on the board, Woods also bring youth and the players relate to him, this will help in recruiting, Davis bring experience and is a well documentd developer of QB's, in McCoy, Young and Applewhite, no to shabby, hopefully he can get those same type of players to Iowa, be it from Texas or across the country, who knows maybe he is enough the get Olsen out of NJ, and as most say KOK was not a good developer of QB's but i think Stanzi would disprove that, and what he did with Banks and even tho Vandy didn't win enough game he still put up good #'s and kept the int's down.
so all in all good hires

Ilike the hiring of BF as he brings youth and has the experience and knowledge of OL play, so i doubt we see any drop off. in fact there could be a pickup in getting some of the top targets on the board, Woods also bring youth and the players relate to him, this will help in recruiting, Davis bring experience and is a well documentd developer of QB's, in McCoy, Young and Applewhite, no to shabby, hopefully he can get those same type of players to Iowa, be it from Texas or across the country, who knows maybe he is enough the get Olsen out of NJ, and as most say KOK was not a good developer of QB's but i think Stanzi would disprove that, and what he did with Banks and even tho Vandy didn't win enough game he still put up good #'s and kept the int's down.
so all in all good hires

Yeah, but KOK also ruined the most talented QB he ever had in Jake C. I shudder to think what he would have done to, possibly, the most talented QB in the Big 10 right now, Jake R.

Davis to OC - I want to be excited. He had good numbers, he's coached some incredible QBs. Many Texas fans say he's good at tailoring a game plan around the talent he has. All pluses. On the downside, he's called GDGD, right? No matter how you slice it, that can't be good. I'm hoping he'll help Vandenburg really shine because it seemed like KF/KOK were trying to shove a square peg into a round hole with him last year.

BF to OL - REALLY excited about this one. I think this is a step back from his previous position with the Pats (not everyone agrees). That must mean he came here because he wants to be here, which is fantastic. He's young, energetic and I think will be a great recruiter.

I was expecting some coaching changes with the TEs but their production really fell off last year.

Parker to DC - His players seem to love this promotion. He played with intensity and I've been told he coaches with it too. If you just look at his resume, he's a great hire. There's no reason to think he won't do well.

Morgan to DL - I actually think I love this switch. Everything seems to point to the fact that this is a group who has been beaten down in a few ways. Having a guy rebuild confidence and generate excitement will be great. Plus, he's there as a mentor to BF if needed. This was such an unexpected twist and yet it makes perfect sense.

Woods to LBs - I'm not as enthusiastic about this even though I think I should be. He knows the position, he's played in the NFL, he holds his own coaching camps. He's a really likeable guy and would be a great face for the program in terms of recruting. He's young, he's a Hawkeye and he has experience. What else is a high school kid going to want? I'm still not jumping for joy though.

Wilson to DBs- His production with special teams has been so awful. Our LBs (though all injured) weren't great and haven't been great in a couple of years. Hopefully that doesn't carry over to DBs.

On paper, I approve the moves. But, my opinion is worthless. It will all be proven on the field. Just win,and KF will be proven a genius. But,long term,I am optimistic.
The real problem is how our division-mates, Michigan,MSU and Neb seem to be getting tougher each passing year. Can we trade Michigan and MSU for Wisky and Illinois,Mr Delany? Like it should have been?

Yeah, but KOK also ruined the most talented QB he ever had in Jake C. I shudder to think what he would have done to, possibly, the most talented QB in the Big 10 right now, Jake R.

Jake C had decent wheels, no touch, and lost the confidence of his receivers long before Stanzi ever entered the picture.

Mr. Davis would have been the best coach for Jake C. He woulda mastered the bounce pass.

I don't think the greatest QB coach in the NFL could have developed Jake. as for Texas fans saying anything good about Davis, how can we judge their opinion when it is hard to find Iowa fans saying good thing about KOK, I have not seen to many positive things being said by any fanbase about a outgoing Coach, so until i see Davis in action i will withhold judgement on the guy

I've heard a lot of good things from Texas fans about Davis. Not all of them were calling for him leaving. On the other hand, I don't have anything bad to say about KoK, just not much good to say either.

I've heard a lot of good things from Texas fans about Davis. Not all of them were calling for him leaving. On the other hand, I don't have anything bad to say about KoK, just not much good to say either.

The haters are always the loudest and most obnoxious. I had my moments getting frustrated with Kurt and Kent, but they are both great coaches and I thing that Craig will be too.

i should have clarified that by say msg board people having anything good to say about a outgoing coach

Sometimes we get a wee bit emotional on msg boards. At least when I do it, I label my threads "I'm gonna get crucified for this."

And I do.

I was so down on Iowa football, from when I started predicted the plays at Lincoln, until recently, I wasn't too much fun.

Throw all that aside. I'm encouraged that we might get 8 wins next year, in a season that we aren't supposed to (I guess anyway).

Very mixed on these hires.

On the plus side, Parker and Davis both appear to be very solid people who will do a good job of carrying out what Ferentz wants. Davis had a record of success at a top tier program and presumably learned a lot during that time (although under a somewhat old-school coach, sort of in KF's mold). I think Brian F. and Woods are huge positives who will bring new energy and an ability to relate to recruits and the players. One downside may be that neither is clued-in on the top prep players around the country as you might have gotten from up-and-coming assistants hired from other programs.

On the downside, I wish Kurt would pushed himself a little more and gotten outside of his comfort zone. By that I mean I wish he would have looked for and hired as coordinators the coordinators or assistants at successful, lower-level programs who could have brought with them new approaches and a new energy. I feel the program has been stuck in second gear for several years now under Ferrets and he needs someone to move his hand and get it into third. Not sure he got that.

I do expect that Davis' hiring will be a huge positive for Vandy, Ruddock and the other QBs. I also would expect that he will make as a priority developing and teaching a two-minute drill and that he will figure out a way that Kurt can better manage the clock in late half or game situations. A clear failure on the part of the previous Iowa brain trust.

I do not see this part of developing a coaching tree -- bringing in new talent, developing them to the best of their abilities while they contribute to success of the program, sending them on to new positions and replacing them with new energy and talent. Quite the opposite -- this looks like grafting branches onto a solid tree that really has not exhibited new growth the past few seasons.

If I'm giving a grade, I would say a strong C+ or possibly a B-. OK work, but Kurt could have applied himself and done better.

Last edited:

Latest posts