Sandfort Huge Miss.... Now?

Speaking of digging, when was the last time an Iowa player came off the bench to score 20 or more in back to back games?

Jeff Moe? Not sure about back to back. You may have to go back to Ben McGilmer in the Ralph Miller days and I was too young to follow that team.

Anyone remember Eric Snow from Michigan State? That dude completely lost it at the free throw line for an entire season. I think his percentage was in the teens. I remember being literally in tears from laughter watching him shoot them. One time specifically he hit the backboard and missed the rim. How can you be off that far sideways to accomplish that?

Without Sandfort we are 1-2 the past 3 games instead of of 3-0.
The crazy thing is we are 5-1 in conference if he played average against Wisconsin and Penn State. If he played all conference games like he did the last 2, we would be undefeated.

His play is going to be a huge factor in how we finish. Perkins has a lot left to give too. Imagine this team with last night's Sandfort and Perkins from last year.

The crazy thing is we are 5-1 in conference if he played average against Wisconsin and Penn State. If he played all conference games like he did the last 2, we would be undefeated.

His play is going to be a huge factor in how we finish. Perkins has a lot left to give too. Imagine this team with last night's Sandfort and Perkins from last year.
We haven't seen this team even remotely at full force. It's just been a weird disjointed year so far, but I think the ole Fran's teams aren't tough mantra is finally put to bed. Give me a coach who's faced this type of adversity, including his own son's issues. I was fairly upset after 0-3, I am equally as impressed with 3-3. Fran's coaching his ass off right now.

Yes indeed. Anyone can see Perkie is out of sorts right now. If he can ride the bench a bit more, watch and work out his knoggin issues we might have quite the Big10 season and tourney team. Point guard play continue to improve, I'm very optimistic on this year's squad.

It’s funny how up and down we as a fan base go. I’m as excited as everyone else but keep in mind that this might possibly be the easiest part of our schedule and that after this home stand the schedule ratchets up a few notches. I see potential for this team to get better and better. Dix, Mulvey and Sandfort gave us plenty of reasons to be optimistic. Hopefully that trend continues to go upward.

It’s funny how up and down we as a fan base go. I’m as excited as everyone else but keep in mind that this might possibly be the easiest part of our schedule and that after this home stand the schedule ratchets up a few notches. I see potential for this team to get better and better. Dix, Mulvey and Sandfort gave us plenty of reasons to be optimistic. Hopefully that trend continues to go upward.
It's pretty common in sports fan bases. I think the OP already has said he ate his crow, so at this point I see it more in good fun/praising a turnaround.

Per Fry...

"There are two things dooming this team and both are recruiting issues. Which sucks because I love Fran.

1) As said before, zero depth. The only way this team is successful is with a single 5 man lineup. With even one of those two players gone you’re going to struggle, when two are gone…turn out the lights—party’s over.

2)
Peyton Sandfort was a HUGE recruiting miss. Can’t blame that entirely on Fran because Sandfort was a high school film queen. There’s no way to know if a player is going to fall apart when he’s on a bigger stage until he gets to that bigger stage... Sandfort doesn’t have the stones to play on tv in front of 12,000 hostile fans."
That comment is aging real well... LOL

We haven't seen this team even remotely at full force. It's just been a weird disjointed year so far, but I think the ole Fran's teams aren't tough mantra is finally put to bed. Give me a coach who's faced this type of adversity, including his own son's issues. I was fairly upset after 0-3, I am equally as impressed with 3-3. Fran's coaching his ass off right now.
I agree. I think this three game streak shows a lot of grit. That comes from the top. Fran is coaching well.

Would love to see things progress, and have all of the guys on the court, performing well, as the season progresses.

I don’t really give Fran any more credit for the 3 game win streak as I gave him blame for the 3 game losing streak. Really the only difference is Sandfort made shots instead of missed them. Fran hasn't really coached him into better shots. He's just making the same shots he was missing earlier.

So much of winning or losing is whether a few shots rim in or rim out. We for sure lose at least 2 of the last 3 without Sandfort going off. It's hard for me to give Fran credit for that. What I do give him credit for is consistently putting a product on the court that competes most games and gets us in the tourney most years. That's what we get with Fran. It's what we've gotten from Fran for the last 10+ years (minus one shitty year). This year is no different. It wasn't different when we lost 3 straight, and it's not different after winning 3 straight.

I'm not so sure the last 3 games are much easier than any other 3 game stretch we will have. Obviously there will be one or two that are worse. But there isn't much difference between the 2nd best team in the conference this year and the 12th best. Gunna be a lot of 50/50 games. We need to win more than half of them down the stretch.

I don’t really give Fran any more credit for the 3 game win streak as I gave him blame for the 3 game losing streak. Really the only difference is Sandfort made shots instead of missed them. Fran hasn't really coached him into better shots. He's just making the same shots he was missing earlier.

So much of winning or losing is whether a few shots rim in or rim out. We for sure lose at least 2 of the last 3 without Sandfort going off. It's hard for me to give Fran credit for that. What I do give him credit for is consistently putting a product on the court that competes most games and gets us in the tourney most years. That's what we get with Fran. It's what we've gotten from Fran for the last 10+ years (minus one shitty year). This year is no different. It wasn't different when we lost 3 straight, and it's not different after winning 3 straight.
Hanging in there with your players, projecting confidence, and having faith in them so they perform at this level... coaching definitely plays a role in that, IMHO.

Hanging in there with your players, projecting confidence, and having faith in them so they perform at this level... coaching definitely plays a role in that, IMHO.
Like him or hate him, one thing that's been very consistent about Fran is that he always expresses confidence that his players will work through whatever issues they have, and he consistently gives them the green light despite the percentages.

Fran had no choice but to go with him. Shooters can go 0 for 10 and then 10 for ten. The work into a groove. Shooters can shoot better when tired. With PM out PS stayed in games and works into a groove.

Also watching him he develops a court
sites and sound awaremess like artillery zeroing in. awareness. He also adjusts to what tge other team is doing. Expect tall long armed defenders on him or shorter guys who closeout and take his landing gear away which bothers Shooters.

His presence will open up Murray more and others.

I agree. But he was doing all of that when we were 0-3 too.my point was he didn't change up his coaching. One player went from ice cold to on fire, and we got Kris back. That's the difference.

I agree. But he was doing all of that when we were 0-3 too.my point was he didn't change up his coaching. One player went from ice cold to on fire, and we got Kris back. That's the difference.
We got Kris back, but it didn't help us in Lincoln or Happy Valley.

I think the Patrick issue affected this team on and off the court more than we will ever know.

Those guys are human, and they're like a band of brothers.