Sally Mason is CEO

Here is how it works:

KF = responsible for the football program

Barta = reasponsible for the athletic department, which includes the football program. Barta is the boss of and is responsible for the performance of the football coach. If they can't produce a winning team, he need to hire someone who can.

Sally = responsible for the University, which includes the athletic department. Mason is the boss of and is responsible for the performance of the athletic department. If they can't produce a winning athletic department, she needs to hire someone who can.

You see it is pretty simple. I have not once blamed Sally for the failures of the football team, that is on KF. I do hold Barta accountable for the failures of the football program though, as he is KF direct boss, and ultimately it is his job to make sure the football program has a coach that can produce winners.

Now this is where you seem to quit following logic. You see I hold Barta responsible for the dismal state of the Iowa athletic department. Sally is Barta's direct boss, and ultimatley is is her job to make sure the athletic department has an AD that can produce winners.

Since Barta has been in charge Iowa has won the least amount of B1G championship throughout it's athletic programs....and it isn't even close. We have been the WORST athletic department in the B1G, and you think that is getting the job done, cause he can "raise money"? All this from an institution that has the 11th highest athletic dept. budget in the nation, these are the kind of results we should expect, dead last?? That is a failure of an EPIC LEVEL, and as the direct boss of Barta who is in charge of the Iowa athletic department it is her RESPONSIBILITY to do something about it.

This type of reasoned logic does not seem to be "sticking" w/ her white knights though. The argruement is pointless as those posters are either Sally Mason herself/some family members or just totally incapable of understanding the basic structure of business organizations. They may be intending to say that her dismissal is of less importance but if that's the case they just don't know how to articulate that in the English lang.

This type of reasoned logic does not seem to be "sticking" w/ her white knights though. The argruement is pointless as those posters are either Sally Mason herself/some family members or just totally incapable of understanding the basic structure of business organizations. They may be intending to say that her dismissal is of less importance but if that's the case they just don't know how to articulate that in the English lang.

I still think they are just a trolololololol away on this thing. I know it is childish, but I just can't resist to troll the trolls back. Sorry I subjected the board to my immature little excursion yesterday.....if they really can't follow the logic of it all, I'm a done trolling them about it. :eek:

I still think they are just a trolololololol away on this thing. I know it is childish, but I just can't resist to troll the trolls back. Sorry I subjected the board to my immature little excursion yesterday.....if they really can't follow the logic of it all, I'm a done trolling them about it. :eek:

What's immature is your continued scapegoating of Sally Mason for the failures of Kirk Ferentz and his staff on the football field. Is Tim Cook held responsible for the underperformance of a manager in an Apple store? Should Mark Fields be fired because one Ford dealership routinely fails to meet sales expectations? Your argument is just plain ludicrous.

Or let's bring it down to terms you might understand: should Rick Tollakson be fired if a couple new Hubbell Homes fail final inspection because they were built poorly? Is is the president's fault? Or should the site manager be held directly accountable?

In large organizations, you don't fire the top of the management chain when someone at the bottom soils the bed. You go to the source and eliminate it.

Last edited:
What's immature is your continued scapegoating of Sally Mason for the failures of Kirk Ferentz and his staff on the football field. Is Tim Cook held responsible for the underperformance of a manager in an Apple store? Should Mark Fields be fired because one Ford dealership routinely fails to meet sales expectations? Your argument is just plain ludicrous.

Or let's bring it down to terms you might understand: should Rick Tollakson be fired if a couple new Hubbell Homes fail final inspection because they were built poorly? Is is the president's fault? Or should the site manager be held directly accountable?

In large organizations, you don't fire the top of the management chain when someone at the bottom soils the bed. You go to the source and eliminate it.

How much further you gonna carry this troll? Do you honestly think I'm scurred?

How much further you gonna carry this troll? Do you honestly think I'm scurred?

No troll, pal. And it's very telling you refuse to answer any of the questions I posed to you.

The issue for you, for Jon D Miller and for a few others here is why the president of a university should be held accountable for the failures of that university's football coach in putting forth a more competitive team. That's just stupid. I wonder if you and Jon would feel the same way if the president was a man.

No troll, pal. And it's very telling you refuse to answer any of the questions I posed to you.

The issue for you, for Jon D Miller and for a few others here is why the president of a university should be held accountable for the failures of that university's football coach in putting forth a more competitive team. That's just stupid. I wonder if you and Jon would feel the same way if the president was a man.

I bet if you repeat the same point 5-6 more times, it will help.

:rolleyes:

This thread:

021109-slap-fight1.jpg

Thank you. That picture is AWESOME.

Try to keep your trolls straight. I blamed KF and Barta for the football program failures, you even agreed.

I do hold KF accountable and Barta. I think they both need to go. The state of the football program is directly on those two. I feel where Sally is accountable is the overall management of the athletic department.

First, we can at least agree that both Barta and Ferentz need to go based on the results on the football field. So at least we have that going for us. But I can also understand that Mason is reluctant to pink slip Barta. He actually has been a very good fundraiser for the university. Very good. It would be hard to find someone who does it better. And that is key. So I'll give her credit for that.

I know you won't answer the question, because you haven't answer one yet, even though I have answered all of yours.......Do you think Gary Barta should hire the next Iowa Hawkeye head football coach?

Try to keep your trolls straight. I blamed KF and Barta for the football program failures, you even agreed.

I know you won't answer the question, because you haven't answer one yet, even though I have answered all of yours.......Do you think Gary Barta should hire the next Iowa Hawkeye head football coach?

Other than Penn State, which I think even you'll agree was an extremely unusual situation (and different), name one school where the president was fired for unmet expectations on the football field. Just one.

Why can't you just admit you have a burr under your saddle for Sally Mason because she implemented a game day public safety plan -- with Gary Barta's and Kirk Ferentz's approval -- that spoiled your tailgating experience. Just be honest with yourself.

Last edited:
Other than Penn State, which I think even you'll agree was an extremely unusual situation (and different), name one school where the president was fired for unmet expectations on the football field. Just one.

Why can't you just admit you have a burr under your saddle for Sally Mason because she implemented a game day public safety plan -- with Gary Barta's and Kirk Ferentz's approval -- that spoiled your tailgating experience. Just be honest with yourself.

Sticking with the same old troll just shows you have lost this argument. You and I agreed a long time ago that Barta and KF are responsible for the football program. I like you banging this long ago disproven strawman, cause as you do each time, you look weaker and weaker in your argument (I didn't think that was possible, but it is). You refuse to address the athletic department, because you know you can't make a logical argument to defend it, and you know Sally is responsible for that department.

-Do you think the athletic department is performing well?
-Do you want Gary Barta hiring the next football coach?
-Do you find the continued alienation of the fan base in the athletic department to be acceptable (football attendance is way down in the last few years). Since Lute came, I don't think there has been a worse 9 year attendance stretch in Carver than under Barta?
-Do you think the changes made to the game day atmosphere this year worked (they hired a consultant to help in this area)?
-Do you think the move to hire a Deputy Director of Athletics to address a failing athletic department is working?
-Do you approve of the handling of the firing of Tracey Griesbaum?
-Do you think the current athletic department treats it's women coaches worse than it's men's coaches (Do you think the inside of the athletic department is sexist)?
-Do you think the impending lawsuit by Griesbaum will put a favorable light on the Iowa athletic department and the university overall?

Continued trolling on your part is encouraged, as it just shows you are getting completely owned on this. Please tell us all once again I am holding Sally responsible for teh foseballs team......and completely ignore the ineptness of the athletic department and the question I have raised

Sticking with the same old troll just shows you have lost this argument. You and I agreed a long time ago that Barta and KF are responsible for the football program. I like you banging this long ago disproven strawman, cause as you do each time, you look weaker and weaker in your argument (I didn't think that was possible, but it is). You refuse to address the athletic department, because you know you can't make a logical argument to defend it, and you know Sally is responsible for that department.

-Do you think the athletic department is performing well?
-Do you want Gary Barta hiring the next football coach?
-Do you find the continued alienation of the fan base in the athletic department to be acceptable (football attendance is way down in the last few years). Since Lute came, I don't think there has been a worse 9 year attendance stretch in Carver than under Barta?
-Do you think the changes made to the game day atmosphere this year worked (they hired a consultant to help in this area)?
-Do you think the move to hire a Deputy Director of Athletics to address a failing athletic department is working?
-Do you approve of the handling of the firing of Tracey Griesbaum?
-Do you think the current athletic department treats it's women coaches worse than it's men's coaches (Do you think the inside of the athletic department is sexist)?
-Do you think the impending lawsuit by Griesbaum will put a favorable light on the Iowa athletic department and the university overall?

Continued trolling on your part is encouraged, as it just shows you are getting completely owned on this. Please tell us all once again I am holding Sally responsible for teh foseballs team......and completely ignore the ineptness of the athletic department and the question I have raised

I think I have been very clear in showing how your desire to have Sally Mason fired is misplaced. Your utter frustration with the athletic department is clouding your thinking and causing you to scapegoat. Your argument is irrational. Take a step back, stop digging a hole before it caves in and swallows you.

I think I have been very clear in showing how your desire to have Sally Mason fired is misplaced. Your utter frustration with the athletic department is clouding your thinking and causing you to scapegoat. Your argument is irrational. Take a step back, stop digging a hole before it caves in and swallows you.

No worries, I think we have taken this as far as it can go. I think the Athletic department is not performing up to the standard that Iowa athletics should be held, you find that irrational, dat's cool........I'll keep digging my hole and we will see next year what happens. The tea leaves are pretty much written, and this story ends with a new AD, and possibly new President of the university (I have said several times if Sally switched AD's I'd be cool with her staying).....Yet to do nothing when faced with a failed department is abdicating your responsibility. If she won't do her job and get someone into the athletics department that can produce winners, then the only other option is to get a person who will.

Sally didn't have anything to do with Kirk s---ing the bed. However, whose job is it to fire Barta. That person is starting to look derelict in their duties.

No worries, I think we have taken this as far as it can go. I think the Athletic department is not performing up to the standard that Iowa athletics should be held, you find that irrational, dat's cool........I'll keep digging my hole and we will see next year what happens. The tea leaves are pretty much written, and this story ends with a new AD, and possibly new President of the university (I have said several times if Sally switched AD's I'd be cool with her staying).....Yet to do nothing when faced with a failed department is abdicating your responsibility. If she won't do her job and get someone into the athletics department that can produce winners, then the only other option is to get a person who will.

Not defending Barta in any way but his department is one of the top revenue producers in the country. University presidents love revenue; Sally Mason's reluctance to make a change there up to this point is pretty understandable.

tweeter , You do understand don't you that even though Sally doesn't run the Football program her policies and her people can make things tough on the FB program. Situations such as the Coker situation. The UI made it so tough on a Kid that was completely cleared, and I meen completely. That the kid just says Im out of here. Went to Stoney Brook I think. This wasn't some trouble maker. He was going to school to be a Astronat I think.

Not defending Barta in any way but his department is one of the top revenue producers in the country. University presidents love revenue; Sally Mason's reluctance to make a change there up to this point is pretty understandable.

Even more revenues would be created with winning teams. It is an opportunity lost, we could move UP those ranks with a good athletic department.

Think of it this way, Hayden wanted to come to Iowa because he saw how many fans came out and supported a loser.....he knew he had a sleeping giant of a fan base, that once he started winning, it would grow even more........Just imagine how much money Iowa could earn if it's athletic department had any kind of measurable success.

Latest posts