sad news for wrestling fans

well TP #4 says it all.

what really is needed is a loud mouth Don King type.

i'm not a marketeer, but i do recall the 4 Ps. Product, Price, Place, Promotion. Wrestling lacks Promotion.

Saw this last night and was upset. Wrestling is the original sport, and one of the true international games.

Has anybody read or heard any justification for keeping some of the other sports? Or for that matter what the justification was for dropping wrestling? I have heard speculations that wrestling is not popular, or watched as much as other sports. But maybe if they televise it at decent times i would watch. Unfortunately, my schedule did not permit me that luxury. I had to resort to watching what i could on youtube or other venues. Just courious. I am agry about this decision, but I would probably be just as angry if I was a participant or fan of another sport that was dropped. I try to keep an open mind about these decisions, but what i have seen, either in this forum or elsewhere on the net, I cannot fathom how you drop wrestling in favor of some of these other sports.

That makes sense, dump that oldest sport in the Olympics!

Not only the oldest Modern Olympics sport but one of the oldest sports period, it has to be.

Wrestling has to go back to the beginnings of humankind and people probably "literally wrestled over foods scraps, sex, a place to sleep, furs for warmth"..

There was a badminton scandal at the last olympics for these teams throwing matches.

Wrestlers do not throw matches, at least not real wrestling.

I love golf but golf should not be in the olympics over wrestling. stupid decision.

Dying?
Try to get a ticket to the NCAA wrestling tourney.

College wrestling only has fewer teams because of Prop # whatever for female equality. The PRop 19 or whatever is important but if colleges had their druthers more would keep wrestling. A great visual sport that fans can be close to and not the huge costs so most schools could keep them except for equality numbers

So just to get this straight. The IOC is going to keep equestrian in which the true athlete is the horse and get rid of wrestling in which the actual athletes are the ones truly participating. Fantastic idea IOC I can understand why it would be a secret ballot as I wouldn't want to admit it either.

Not only the oldest Modern Olympics sport but one of the oldest sports period, it has to be.

Wrestling has to go back to the beginnings of humankind and people probably "literally wrestled over foods scraps, sex, a place to sleep, furs for warmth"..

There was a badminton scandal at the last olympics for these teams throwing matches.

Wrestlers do not throw matches, at least not real wrestling.

I love golf but golf should not be in the olympics over wrestling. stupid decision.

Just my opinion, but golf, badminton, table tennis, equestrian, and synchronized swimming aren't exactly what the majority of us feel are olympic worthy events. Not a shot at golf, but seriously.

Any chance we see paper rock scissors, thumb wrestling, or bloody knuckles in the future. I've also heard rumor that the North Koreans are ready to take the world by force at Red Rover and Simon Says.

Any event that has the winner determined solely by judging is always suspect and should be eliminated before sports such as wrestling. Yeah yeah, the referee still determines who gets points, but it's a helluva lot harder to be crooked than it is in diving, gymnastics, trampoline. . . It's much harder to wave off a takedown or escape than it is to deduct .1 from somebody flipping through the air.

Somebody above brought up how the horses are the true athletes in the equestrian events, which got me thinking about sailing. Unless everybody is using the same boat then technology($) and strategy are pretty much the determining factor over any sort of athleticism.

Truest sports that should never be eliminated
Track and field
Swimming
Wrestling

Last edited:
I think Matt really hits it on the head. For most of the Olympic sports winning gold is the pinnacle of their sport. For golf, no. Basketball, no. Hockey, no. Wrestling, definitely. For wrestlers there is no dream of going to an actual pro wrestling career, since the WWE is not wrestling. How many kids that are golfers do you hear wishing they could win an Olympic gold medal? If they are dreaming of winning something it is one of the grand slam events like the masters. If they do want to win something for the country they have the Ryder Cup.

Has anybody read or heard any justification for keeping some of the other sports? Or for that matter what the justification was for dropping wrestling? I have heard speculations that wrestling is not popular, or watched as much as other sports. But maybe if they televise it at decent times i would watch. Unfortunately, my schedule did not permit me that luxury. I had to resort to watching what i could on youtube or other venues. Just courious. I am agry about this decision, but I would probably be just as angry if I was a participant or fan of another sport that was dropped. I try to keep an open mind about these decisions, but what i have seen, either in this forum or elsewhere on the net, I cannot fathom how you drop wrestling in favor of some of these other sports.

the only justification i have heard and it was on Dan Patrick tuesday, was the were claiming that it cost to much for all the medals that are handed out because of all the weight classes and the fact that that there is free style and greco, not to mention mens and womens.

As much ignorant crap as they call sports in the olympics now they should just call it the 4 year X games. And i like boxing but boxing should go before wrestling if it came to that.

mike novagratz help!
Just as we are about to make a breakthrough and increase international weightclasses. 10 weights or at least 9, 7 hinders.
what have we USA built the most of over the last 15 years?
hospitals (high tech)
olympic centers

What we know at this time:
-The vote was only a recommendation. It was a 15 member executive faction of the IOC.
-The May vote is for a basket of 3 sports to replace wrestling, with wrestling being an option. Same faction will vote on the 3 sports.
-The September vote will include the entire 114 member IOC. They will have 2 votes: the first is to vote on the recommendation to eliminate wrestling. If that vote is yes, they move on to vote for one of the 3 recommendations on replacing wrestling.

The IOC represent has agreed to meet with FILA and talks will center on evolving the sport. I guess is that our best chance is on the first vote the entire IOC has, which is to even accept the executive board's recommendation.

What we know at this time:
-The vote was only a recommendation. It was a 15 member executive faction of the IOC.
-The May vote is for a basket of 3 sports to replace wrestling, with wrestling being an option. Same faction will vote on the 3 sports.
-The September vote will include the entire 114 member IOC. They will have 2 votes: the first is to vote on the recommendation to eliminate wrestling. If that vote is yes, they move on to vote for one of the 3 recommendations on replacing wrestling.

The IOC represent has agreed to meet with FILA and talks will center on evolving the sport. I guess is that our best chance is on the first vote the entire IOC has, which is to even accept the executive board's recommendation.

the real sticking point seems to be money. the ioc claimed in one report that giving 72 medals to wrestling costs way too much. and giving 3 to some lame *** sport (like modern pentathlon) is more economical.

so packing an arena that is not anything special and does not require a new venue - placing a mat down - and handing out 18 gold (at $650 each), and 18 silver at ($350), and 36 bronze at ($5) is way too costly. or is it the 100K some IOC jerkoff gets to hand it out for a couple hours work? getting rid of wrestling costs millions in lost revenues to the Olympics in travel billeting of family and fans of the sport that includes people from over 70 countries, not to mention the parking and admission to the arena that will be packed.

oh yeah the other thing seems to be the son of one of the ioc idiots happens to think that pentathlon sounds cool.

Five Olympic sports that should have gone before wrestling

1. Modern Pentathlon -- Hasn't been relevant since George Patton finished fifth in the first competition in 1912. Wrestling requires a mat and a singlet. Modern pentathlon needs a horse, gun, pool and swords. That sounds less like an Olympic sport and more like an afternoon at Phil Spector's house.
2. Ping pong -- Call it table tennis if you want. It's ping pong. And it's even less competitive than the American-dominated softball was in the past. China has won the past 11 gold medals dating back to 2004 and the silvers in London were either won by China, South Korea or Japan.
3. Race walking -- This isn't a "core sport." It falls under the track and field designation. Still ridiculous.
4. Trampoline -- This even is exactly like it sounds.
5. Taekwondo/Judo -- If you can name one difference between these sports other than the amount of letters in their name, then you have a leg up on 99% of Olympic viewers.

You can only think of five????

How about fricking "Sailing"?
Canoeing?
Shooting?
Equestrian? (let horses have their own olympics.)
Fencing? (how the hell many people in the world "Fence"?
Badminton?

Latest posts