Ryan Kriener Says Outside Doubt Fuels Hawkeyes

I'm speaking in generalities...not about you, Rob. I don't need to hear what LeBron James says before and after every one of 82 regular season games AND the playoffs.

As for using it as motivation, if that's what you need to get yourself motivated. But no need to tell everyone...just do it.

Yeah I hear ya. These days the disrespect angle is everyone's favorite and they love to use it and tell everyone about it. I remember a few years back Lebron talking about how the odds have always been against him in everything.

This guy is probably the most physically gifted human being ever born and he's talking about odds being against him.

Kinda mirrors society. Instead of just striving to be great as you can be, many just want to be a victim and to be offended.

Outside noise is now the norm ... social media can affect what players think and create the narrative.

Is anyone aware of the Kendrick Perkins/Kevin Durant beef on Twitter in the past 24 hours knows this. Heck, the Durant burner account fiasco from a while back shows you even the best players are listening to what everyone is saying about them - or, at least some of them. :)
There is no thinner skinned pro athlete then KD... Lebron kind of is too. But man KD takes the cake in that regard. Since he's been out hurt and not playing I imagine he has a ton of time to live on social media... I feel bad for those folks that just can't seem to help themselves.

Yeah I hear ya. These days the disrespect angle is everyone's favorite and they love to use it and tell everyone about it. I remember a few years back Lebron talking about how the odds have always been against him in everything.

This guy is probably the most physically gifted human being ever born and he's talking about odds being against him.

Kinda mirrors society. Instead of just striving to be great as you can be, many just want to be a victim and to be offended.

Positioning yourself as a victim in some way has become an art form. Then you can blame the bad outcomes on somebody else and only take credit for the good outcomes.

There is no thinner skinned pro athlete then KD... Lebron kind of is too. But man KD takes the cake in that regard. Since he's been out hurt and not playing I imagine he has a ton of time to live on social media... I feel bad for those folks that just can't seem to help themselves.

No doubt on KD. But, he uses that as 'motivation' to take on those who doubt him. Jimmy Butler is another one (see Butler vs TJ Warren this week). Social media just adds an extra layer to it now with the players being able to use a platform to set their narrative. And, it's not just in sports. :)

Listen to Michael Jordan's Hall of Fame speech. This is not necessarily new. :)

https://www.espn.com/chicago/columns/story?columnist=greenberg_jon&id=4468210

The greatest athlete of our time made sure to point out the high school coach who didn't put him on the varsity his sophomore year. (He was never cut, per se. That's an urban myth akin to Catfish Hunter's nickname origin.) He pointed out the guy who made the team "over" him, who was in the audience; his college roommate, Buzz Peterson; the NBA vets who froze him out in his first All-Star Game, two of whom were there, George Gervin (who presented David Robinson) and Isiah Thomas (who presented John Stockton); Jazz guard Bryon Russell, who was guarding him on his final shot in a Bulls uniform; and, of course, former Bulls general manager Jerry Krause, with whom he had real conflict during his career. Krause, forever the outsider looking in, made the mistake of claiming he was skipping Jordan's induction because former coach Tex Winter, the originator of the triangle offense, wasn't inducted.

No doubt on KD. But, he uses that as 'motivation' to take on those who doubt him. Jimmy Butler is another one (see Butler vs TJ Warren this week). Social media just adds an extra layer to it now with the players being able to use a platform to set their narrative. And, it's not just in sports. :)
Yeah I saw some of Butlers rant after that to the media. That dude isn't short of confidence. He's as full of himself of a guy as there is. It's entertaining for fans and gives the media folks easy content to write about and give their 2 cents on. So keep it coming I suppose what the heck

Listen to Michael Jordan's Hall of Fame speech. This is not necessarily new. :)

https://www.espn.com/chicago/columns/story?columnist=greenberg_jon&id=4468210

The greatest athlete of our time made sure to point out the high school coach who didn't put him on the varsity his sophomore year. (He was never cut, per se. That's an urban myth akin to Catfish Hunter's nickname origin.) He pointed out the guy who made the team "over" him, who was in the audience; his college roommate, Buzz Peterson; the NBA vets who froze him out in his first All-Star Game, two of whom were there, George Gervin (who presented David Robinson) and Isiah Thomas (who presented John Stockton); Jazz guard Bryon Russell, who was guarding him on his final shot in a Bulls uniform; and, of course, former Bulls general manager Jerry Krause, with whom he had real conflict during his career. Krause, forever the outsider looking in, made the mistake of claiming he was skipping Jordan's induction because former coach Tex Winter, the originator of the triangle offense, wasn't inducted.
My buddy and I (he's a huge Jordan fan) when we watched his speech just couldn't understand how one would go that route with it. I can see touching on it to a degree. But yeah he made it his whole thing. It's like he got no help at all preparing for it and that was that. Jordan and Krause were pretty much never on good terms. I think the Tex Winters thing was just an excuse. I don't think Krause would have went to that if you paid him.

His comments were great. Who doesn't use doubters as motivation? I don't get why his comments would bother anyone.

I wouldn’t expect you to have any type of issue with anything from this Iowa BB Program. :cool: I’m guessing PC won’t either. :)

Respectfully I would say this at least the third or fourth time Ryan has talked about outside perception and outside noise. (Twitter bullies, presason rankings etc).

I think if you’re worrying about people on the outside you aren’t completely focusing on the task at hand and being the best team you can be. I think championship teams and players BLOCK out the outside noise and focus on the things they have to do internally to be successful. Certainly don’t bring it to the forefront of the discussion this many times.

(I say this without having a chance to watch this particular video just yet).
Why is it considered worrying what other say when the social media generation responds to social media?

Are they taking valuable seconds of their day on social media instead of the practice floor or studying?

The weather in E. Iowa is getting bad now. There is some light rain mixed with sleet. Snow starting tonight and going until late Saturday/early Sunday.

just-wait-and-see-charlie-brown-ill-see-the-great-pumpkin-ill.jpg

Just wait and see, Iowa fans. The outside doubt fuel us! The outside doubt fuels us! Just you wait, Iowa fans. We will get to that Sweet 16. Just you wait and see. -Ryan Kriener

Then Lucy pulls the football out again. Wait until next year is more like it............

I'm speaking in generalities...not about you, Rob. I don't need to hear what LeBron James says before and after every one of 82 regular season games AND the playoffs.

As for using it as motivation, if that's what you need to get yourself motivated. But no need to tell everyone...just do it.
Yeah, I get I what you’re saying and I’m that kind of personality too.

But he was asked a question about having so many injuries — 3 starters — and he turned that question into outside doubters. That’s understandable when you’re down 3 starters to use that as motivation. Everyone uses the doubting of outsiders as motivation.

And I noticed he didn’t say fans either.

This season isn’t going to be what I thought it would be because of injuries.

So when I tune into a game, if they’re playing hard and hustling then I’ll watch. It’s entertainment to make me put aside life’s “stuff”

If they’re not playing hard, like I saw a couple in the Nebraska then I’ll tune out.

So maybe that will be motivation for RK

You stated yourself that even if JBO shuts it down the amount of talent on this team is impossible not to see.

If you don't see talent with Luka Garza and Joe Wieskamp I can't help ya. Throw in CJF, Jordan Bohannon, Joe Toussaint..... if all the parts were there this is a top 25 roster, the talent is impossible not to see. We're unfortunately running out of key players and stuck with guys who are more situated with smaller roles on the team. A lot of being a good basketball team is chemistry. Do ya think that's been disrupted with this bunch now that they are down to 8 scholarship guys? Look, I get you have a hard on for me, I'm used to that, but don't let your new found hobby cloud all your vision.

If you don't see talent with Luka Garza and Joe Wieskamp I can't help ya. Throw in CJF, Jordan Bohannon, Joe Toussaint..... if all the parts were there this is a top 25 roster, the talent is impossible not to see. We're unfortunately running out of key players and stuck with guys who are more situated with smaller roles on the team. A lot of being a good basketball team is chemistry. Do ya think that's been disrupted with this bunch now that they are down to 8 scholarship guys? Look, I get you have a hard on for me, I'm used to that, but don't let your new found hobby cloud all your vision.

Your homerism clouds your judgement at times!! Because that response from you Was to people who stated if we lose Jordan the jury reenters the room on this team!

Latest posts