Rutgers

Iowa was Rutgers at the end of 1978. Seventeen in a row non-winning seasons will do that. Among the academics there was a distaste for the athletic department and preferred Iowa join the U of Chicago in dropping football. Fortunately Bump Elliot who had taken over as AD made a great hire in Hayden Fry otherwise there might not be a Big Ten member named Iowa.

Iowa would never get kicked out of the Big Ten. There is a lot more to the conference than just football.

I would not be surprised if the tweed jackets at Rutgers are quietly negotiating an exit strategy with the B1G Conference. And that is why they didn't agree on a contract.

It’s all about TV sets paying for BTN. No way Rutgers gets kicked with that huge TV market. If anyone should be kicked it should be Nebraska. They were brought here for their prestige in football and now that’s gone. They don’t have the TV sets in Nebraska to pay for themselves when their football team sucks.

The TV model is collapsing before our eyes, though. In a static world where the Big Ten got $1.10 of revenue off of every cable subscriber in the NYC metropolitan area, Rutgers was a slam dunk. In a world of cord cutters and people opting out of sports programming or cancelling in their offseason, Rutgers brings absolutely nothing.

I think we need to further consolidate the P5 down into the P4. Get rid of the Big 12. Ship Rutgers out of the B1G and add ISU, KU and KSU to the B1G. Make it a predominantly midwestern market. Make 4 pods, west with ISU, KU, KSU and Nebraska, North with Iowa, Minny, Wisconsin and Northwestern, South with Illinois, OSU, Purdue and Indiana, East with MSU, Michigan, MD and PSU. Protect one game and then rotate the pod play. 2 best teams go to the title game. To hell with the short term TV market metrics. College football is predominantly a game of tradition and geographic rivalries and we are crapping all over that to the detriment of the long term brand equity of the sport.

If you sliced the thing down into 4 conferences with 16 teams and made ND a de facto ACC member, you could build an 8 team playoff because you'd have the two best from each conference play in early December, winner is AQ to the playoff and you keep it at 3 total games. The Pac 12 is likely gonna get iced from the playoffs again and they are in a really rough spot financially. Drop Texas, Oklahoma, OSU and Tech into that conference to try to shore them up a little bit. The guys who run these schools need to have a meeting to hash something out or the whole thing is going to implode when the media revenues eventually tail off.

I would not be surprised if the tweed jackets at Rutgers are quietly negotiating an exit strategy with the B1G Conference. And that is why they didn't agree on a contract.

Hobbs is not a sports guy. He is a NJ politburo. He was formerly the dean of Seton Hall law school. I would never trust him to run an athletic department. Rutgers should try to steal GarBar if they want to turn it around.

You mentioned the key name. Bump Elliott. He also hired Lute Olsen and Dan Gable. The friction between academic leaders and athletics at Iowa from 1965-75 was real. Ugly incidents, like African American football players threatening to boycott practice, didn't help either.

If we didn't have Bump Elliott at that time and place who knows what would have happened to Iowa athletics. Who knows what would have been cut out of the budget. Who knows if two generations of sports fans would still be pining for the glory days of the 1950's.

Interestingly Barry Alvarez walked into a similar situation in 1990, and had to clean up a nearly equal sized mess at Wisconsin. And not just with the football team.

It's went on a lot longer than that. Hell, in 1989 Hunter Rawlings threatened to make freshmen athletes at Iowa ineligible to compete even if the NCAA didn't enact that proposal nationwide. There was a huge shit storm from that between the academics and the athletics departments. And Mary Sue Coleman essentially tried to ban tailgaiting at Iowa as recent as the mid 2000's. That tension has always existed at Iowa, unfortunately.

Iowa would never get kicked out of the Big Ten. There is a lot more to the conference than just football.
He wasn't talking about the conference wielding the hammer. He was talking about a university slowly eroding from the inside out when it came to athletics. I can tell you that when James O Freedman was the university president he was no big fan of athletics.

Iowa athletics were never going to completely receive their last rights, but dont underestimate the importance of the Hayden Fry hire on many levels. The idea of the Stead hospital, and of hospital expansion in general, was a hot topic in the eighties. Talk of relocating Kinnick Stadium was a regular subject.

It's went on a lot longer than that. Hell, in 1989 Hunter Rawlings threatened to make freshmen athletes at Iowa ineligible to compete even if the NCAA didn't enact that proposal nationwide. There was a huge shit storm from that between the academics and the athletics departments. And Mary Sue Coleman essentially tried to ban tailgaiting at Iowa as recent as the mid 2000's. That tension has always existed at Iowa, unfortunately.
I had a front row seat for the Hunter Rawlings fiasco and have written many posts about it. You are absolutely correct.

The problem that a school like Iowa has is that the admin and faculty are almost all academic prestige whores. They will work at Iowa, but deep down inside, they are ashamed to be associated with it. They don't like the state, they don't like the school and they don't like us. They want something bigger and better.

Not to get political, but these people are the driving force behind nonsense like "toxic masculinity" and "America is the root cause of every problem in the world." It's not that they're necessarily bad people, but they didn't grow up listening to the Hox on the radio with their granddad or go to games at Kinnick with their dad and toss the pigskin around. So they don't understand us. And even more importantly, their loyalties do not lie with the institution, they didn't go to it, they didn't grow up wearing Iowa gear, they've never become insta-friends with 10 people at a bar in Jamaica wearing Iowa gear just totally spontaneously. Their loyalties lie with impressing some "better" school with their experience and credentials so they can get the hell out of Iowa City. And part of "impressing" those people is crap like "I rooted out toxic masculinity by killing part of the athletic department and used the cost savings to hire a 19th dean of diversity and inclusion and built a new safe space for [insert current leader of oppression Olympics]"

Do I bash Iowa sometimes? Yeah, but I love it and I bash it most when I get pissed off when we lose a game because our OC is not ready for the job. And I hate the weather in winter. These folks running it by and large don't love it and a lot of them would bolt for NYU or Virginia or UNC or whatever in a heartbeat if given the chance.

Good read. I got a kick out of this....."It is a small-thinking, decrepit corner grocery store run by incompetent middle managers trying to compete in a world with Walmart and Target, doomed to fail before it even opens its doors to customers."

The TV model is collapsing before our eyes, though. In a static world where the Big Ten got $1.10 of revenue off of every cable subscriber in the NYC metropolitan area, Rutgers was a slam dunk. In a world of cord cutters and people opting out of sports programming or cancelling in their offseason, Rutgers brings absolutely nothing.

I think we need to further consolidate the P5 down into the P4. Get rid of the Big 12. Ship Rutgers out of the B1G and add ISU, KU and KSU to the B1G. Make it a predominantly midwestern market. Make 4 pods, west with ISU, KU, KSU and Nebraska, North with Iowa, Minny, Wisconsin and Northwestern, South with Illinois, OSU, Purdue and Indiana, East with MSU, Michigan, MD and PSU. Protect one game and then rotate the pod play. 2 best teams go to the title game. To hell with the short term TV market metrics. College football is predominantly a game of tradition and geographic rivalries and we are crapping all over that to the detriment of the long term brand equity of the sport.

If you sliced the thing down into 4 conferences with 16 teams and made ND a de facto ACC member, you could build an 8 team playoff because you'd have the two best from each conference play in early December, winner is AQ to the playoff and you keep it at 3 total games. The Pac 12 is likely gonna get iced from the playoffs again and they are in a really rough spot financially. Drop Texas, Oklahoma, OSU and Tech into that conference to try to shore them up a little bit. The guys who run these schools need to have a meeting to hash something out or the whole thing is going to implode when the media revenues eventually tail off.

Kansas State would be a terrible fit academically and no way Iowa would let the Big Ten bring in ISU. I thought the Big Ten made a huge mistake not admitting Missouri when they were applying and I still think they'd be a good fit. I also believe that ND will be in the Big Ten some day.

I agree that cord cutting will change the BTN model and the way the conference looks at membership but short of Rutgers leaving on their own I don't see them ever being booted out of the conference.

Kansas State would be a terrible fit academically and no way Iowa would let the Big Ten bring in ISU. I thought the Big Ten made a huge mistake not admitting Missouri when they were applying and I still think they'd be a good fit. I also believe that ND will be in the Big Ten some day.

I agree that cord cutting will change the BTN model and the way the conference looks at membership but short of Rutgers leaving on their own I don't see them ever being booted out of the conference.

Iowa is not much above KState academically

Rutgers and Maryland joined the B1G in 2014. Is that around the same time they got rid of "Legends" and "Leaders" and divided the league into East and West divisions? Almost like the B1G were throwing a bone to the East teams because they knew it would be the more rugged of the two with tOSU, Michigan, MSU (usually), and Penn St. They threw a bone by purposefully inviting two awful football programs so these top football programs could get two sure Ws each year to counter the fact that they have to play each other every year.

I know, it's a conspiracy theory.

I agree that cord cutting will change the BTN model and the way the conference looks at membership...
This is going to be huge.

I'm considering cutting the cord altogether. I basically pay $55 plus tax to watch 12 Hawkeye football games a year and a smattering of basketball games. That's $700.

I literally watch nothing but college football and a handful of other sports, and I'm just finding it harder and harder to pay so much for just a few hours of TV time every month. It'd be way cheaper for me to go to the local bar, eat a burger and have a soda for 12 weeks, even if my kid was with me.

Exactly. And in addition to that, when was the last time a team got kicked out of a conference for sucking at football?

Rutgers is here to stay.

This is the correct analysis. They are in and they will stay in.

But I hope they continue to be a guaranteed win for Iowa in years we get to play them in Football.

Iowa is not much above KState academically

Based on what? They are not members of the AAU, USNews ranks Kansas State 162nd while Iowa is ranked 84th (61st and 134th on another one). About the only fit Kansas State has with the Big Ten is that they do have a cancer research institution .

This is going to be huge.

I'm considering cutting the cord altogether. I basically pay $55 plus tax to watch 12 Hawkeye football games a year and a smattering of basketball games. That's $700.

I literally watch nothing but college football and a handful of other sports, and I'm just finding it harder and harder to pay so much for just a few hours of TV time every month. It'd be way cheaper for me to go to the local bar, eat a burger and have a soda for 12 weeks, even if my kid was with me.

If I had better internet where I live I'd be cutting the cord also.

I'd just as soon see Maryland and Rutgers replaced with schools like Notre Dame and North Dakota State. I don't care if Maryland is a decent basketball program, they belong in the ACC.

Based on what? They are not members of the AAU, USNews ranks Kansas State 162nd while Iowa is ranked 84th (61st and 134th on another one). About the only fit Kansas State has with the Big Ten is that they do have a cancer research institution .

They are a very good ag research school. That said, Iowa and KState aren't much different on entrance
requirements. Iowa's standing per the Big really isn't very good. It's a bit this year like NW bragging about being
better than Rutgers in football (this year).

They are a very good ag research school. That said, Iowa and KState aren't much different on entrance
requirements. Iowa's standing per the Big really isn't very good. It's a bit this year like NW bragging about being
better than Rutgers in football (this year).

For the most part, the "quality" of the big state schools is a function of local population. Kansas is a small state with two big schools, so of course they aren't going to be considered that good. Given the shortage of hardware in the Big Ten footprint compared to the dominance exhibited by the SEC and ACC in football and basketball, I understand the Big Ten's need to claim some sort of moral high ground on academics and use that as a basis for excluding a school like K-State.

Latest posts