Rutgers=red-headed step-child

BIG10INCH

can we please kick Rutgers (and Maryland for that matter) out of the Big10.....?
wow...I still can't believe Delaney was so blinded by $ signs in his eyes...that they added such
an awful program.....

can we please kick Rutgers (and Maryland for that matter) out of the Big10.....?
wow...I still can't believe Delaney was so blinded by $ signs in his eyes...that they added such
an awful program.....

No chance until BTN is forced to dissolve its evil union with cable.

STREAM, BTN! STREAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Every conference needs to have a couple of whipping boys. I have no issue with Maryland and Rutgers if it gives us an extra $10-$20 million/year.

Every conference needs to have a couple of whipping boys. I have no issue with Maryland and Rutgers if it gives us an extra $10-$20 million/year.
We already had them; Indiana, Purdue. At least Maryland brings some decent bball to the conference.

We already had them; Indiana, Purdue. At least Maryland brings some decent bball to the conference.

Indiana and Purdue don't have Baltimore, Washington DC, and New York-type demographics to add to the subscriber pot. With a 14 team league, I would think you'd want about 4 elite programs, 6 high/middle programs, and 4 middle/low programs. Seems like we're close to that mix.

Big Ten Network commercials have played in Yankee Stadium. Think about that. That doesn't happen without Rutgers...The population of the Rutgers/Maryland areas? yeah, good move.

Big Ten Network commercials have played in Yankee Stadium. Think about that. That doesn't happen without Rutgers...The population of the Rutgers/Maryland areas? yeah, good move.

Totally agree. More money = more split tv revenue to Iowa and other B1G schools. Plus, makes recruiting in MD, DC, NJ, VA, NY easier if people there can actually see Iowa/B1G games.

They're not really in the Big Ten. They happen to be in an organization of schools that play each other more regularly than they play other schools not in that organization, and for that all members of that organization profit quite nicely. But, they're not in the Big Ten. (same goes for Nebraska, and Penn State, but after 20 years, they're growing on me).

Yeah, I still have a problem with him skipping over Mizzou, when we added Nebraska.
Stupid and short-sighted if you ask me. He was looking at the past, not necessarily the future.

Also, Kyle Flood will be suspended for three games now.

Indiana and Purdue don't have Baltimore, Washington DC, and New York-type demographics to add to the subscriber pot. With a 14 team league, I would think you'd want about 4 elite programs, 6 high/middle programs, and 4 middle/low programs. Seems like we're close to that mix.

just because the BIG10 is in these large tv markets...does NOT necessarily mean anyone is WATCHING....that's my problem....
they're selling commercials with smoke and mirrors....NOBODY in New York gives a rat's *** about Rutgers sports....

Last edited:
just because the BIG10 is in these large tv markets...does necessarily mean anyone is WATCHING....that's my problem....
they're selling commercials with smoke and mirrors....NOBODY in New York gives a rat's *** about Rutgers sports....

Yes and no. There are plenty of Rutgers grads in the tri-state area of New Jersey, New York and Connecticut who remain interested in sports at their alma mater, and the tailgating experience -- while not on the scale of Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan or many of the big name programs -- is still decent. But Rutgers sports are rarely on the front pages of local sports sections, which are full of the wide range of professional sports available in New York and Philadelphia, and barely rate a mention on TV newscasts in the New York-Philadelphia markets, unless it's for all the wrong reasons: the football coach inappropriately contacting a professor about a player's grades, Rutgers athletes involved in fights, assaults and break-ins on campus, a (former) basketball coach abusing a player.

Rutgers' problems start at the very top, beginning with a benign interest in the office of a president more interested in institutional mergers and campus consolidation, and continuing to the director of athletics, who is in way over her head and has absolutely no idea how to handle her department's various challenges.

Some people think Kyle Flood's three-game suspension and $50,000 fine is only the beginning of his problems and doubt he'll survive the season. His program is a mess.

Last edited:
Delany has hurt the Big 10 IMO by adding Maryland and Rutgers. Those two teams have no business being in the conference, they are east coast teams. The Big 10 is a mid west conference. It was all about $$$ and the east coast tv market with Delany.

Delany has hurt the Big 10 IMO by adding Maryland and Rutgers. Those two teams have no business being in the conference, they are east coast teams. The Big 10 is a mid west conference. It was all about $$$ and the east coast tv market with Delany.

Besides, one has one of the ugliest end zone designs in college football and the other fires off a cannon every time they score. Who still does that?

#donotwantintheBIG

Stupid and short-sighted if you ask me. He was looking at the past, not necessarily the future.

Also, Kyle Flood will be suspended for three games now.

A few years ago, Iowa was wrapped up in various sex assault scandals in b-ball and f-ball. Should we have been kicked out of the BIG 10? Glass houses. Just say'in.

A few years ago, Iowa was wrapped up in various sex assault scandals in b-ball and f-ball. Should we have been kicked out of the BIG 10? Glass houses. Just say'in.

Read the Kyle Flood report linked on the previous page and then come back here and tell us if you still see a moral equivalence between the two programs.

How has Delaney "hurt" the B1G by adding those two schools? Because you don't like it? One could argue Rutgers has not been a bonus due to the dumpster fire of an athletic program currently, but those things do change over time.

Yes, the B1G started as a Midwest conference. If no expansion had occurred and the B1G was with its original 10 teams, we would be looking at the near future demise of the league. The demographic shifts in the country are to the South and the West. Has been that way for 20+ years and shows no signs of slowing up. Had the B1G stood by and done nothing, within another 15-20 years it would be irrelevant on the college sports landscape. Even in large population states in the B1G footprint like Ohio or Michigan, the population is either flat of growing very slowly in comparison to southern or Western states. And the states in the B1G footprint are trending older. Less people, less % of the people who are of high school age, adds up to fewer athletes to go to the schools in comparison to the SEC, the Pac 12 and the Big 12.

Of course expansion to the east was about $$ and East Coast TV markets. It was also about the population of those states and making them more viable as recruiting grounds for other B1G schools. Because of the increased $$ from the BTN and the other TV deals, schools like Iowa have more money to fund things like the new football facility, or upgrades to the baseball stadium, etc. In a perfect world, B1G would have landed Notre Dame or perhaps Texas to even further extend the B1G's reach. But that didn't happen.

Latest posts