Rutgers Beats the shit out of Iowa

Many are saying this may be Fran's best team. They're 6th in the conference (just above the middle) and needed two miracle finishes to get there. (OK, one miracle finish...JBo's shot to beat Northwestern was the real deal.. all be it against a team they should blow out at home). Think about that, his peak...is just above the middle of the pack.

6 of the last 7 years Fran's teams have been .500 or worse in the last 7-8 games. The exception being the 2014-15 club that finished tied for 4th in the conference. He's won 2 games in the NCAA tourney in 8 years.

This is a pattern...or as Fran might describe it, his "body of work".

Many are saying this may be Fran's best team. They're 6th in the conference (just above the middle) and needed two miracle finishes to get there. (OK, one miracle finish...JBo's shot to beat Northwestern was the real deal.. all be it against a team they should blow out at home). Think about that, his peak...is just above the middle of the pack.

6 of the last 7 years Fran's teams have been .500 or worse in the last 7-8 games. The exception being the 2014-15 club that finished tied for 4th in the conference. He's won 2 games in the NCAA tourney in 8 years.

This is a pattern...or as Fran might describe it, his "body of work".
In these times I'm reminded of a quote of a wise old coach. " That's Basketball "

It's time to tell it like it is. Running the offense through Cook is like a 16 year old learning to drive clutch. Lots of sputtering and jerking around. As long as we continue to pretend Cook is an all around player that can facilitate offense our offense will continue to look like shit. Is this Fran's concession to Cook coming back? It's an experiment that needs to be terminated. Cook is a post player with bad hands, feed him where he can score, then tell him to earn his points on the boards. I would love to see the stats that tell us how many times his bringing the ball up has led to points vs turnovers. I have my prediction that it's the latter that is in the lead.

Maybe it never was what it was..

So michigan just beat itself?

Bs, but so many on the rosters are playing worst as of late. Garza points were fine today but defense... weiskamp and moss were no bodies today. Just weird to see players that took over games in december or jan just disappear.

This is the most embarrassing performance by an Iowa basketball team that I can remember. Rutgers NET ranking is probably 200 and they blow us out by over 20 at home on senior day. What a fucking embarrassment this team is.

actually , their net ranking is 104 , but we get your point

Bs, but so many on the rosters are playing worst as of late. Garza points were fine today but defense... weiskamp and moss were no bodies today. Just weird to see players that took over games in december or jan just disappear.

It is weird. M has issues with immaturity. Iowa has issues with speed.

It is weird. M has issues with immaturity. Iowa has issues with speed.

Its not weird. When this entire roster is clicking on all cylinders theyre a top 25 team.

Shooting may come and go but inconsistent defense is just poor effort. Theres been way too much of that the last four games.

Its not weird. When this entire roster is clicking on all cylinders theyre a top 25 team.

Shooting may come and go but inconsistent defense is just poor effort. Theres been way too much of that the last four games.

What is weird to me is just how unathletic we look and play most of the time. Outside of Cook every position is just so slow. (But he is so fundamentally challenged). There is some hope with Weiskamp but it is apparent at times that this level is quite a jump from Muscatine. Rutgers was just quicker and more athletic. Doesn't always equate to a quality basketball player but man would it be nice if Fran could recruit a couple of true power forwards and um, a point guard.

Iowa being Iowa! this is not a very good team. Should be but lacking something. 2 games on road probably mean 2 loses and a 7-8 seed in Big Ten Tournament. It is what it is under this coach.
We lack athleticism, period. Weak, slow, get shoved around. Our guards are pathetically slow, they can't beat anyone driving the ball, yet other teams guards drive by them at will. This team is not a good team.

What is weird to me is just how unathletic we look and play most of the time. Outside of Cook every position is just so slow. (But he is so fundamentally challenged). There is some hope with Weiskamp but it is apparent at times that this level is quite a jump from Muscatine. Rutgers was just quicker and more athletic. Doesn't always equate to a quality basketball player but man would it be nice if Fran could recruit a couple of true power forwards and um, a point guard.
Weiskamp is slow as well. I know he is a freshman, but it looks like he has cement shoes on. Every team is more athletic than we are. Our guards are just brutal athletically.

It's time to tell it like it is. Running the offense through Cook is like a 16 year old learning to drive clutch. Lots of sputtering and jerking around. As long as we continue to pretend Cook is an all around player that can facilitate offense our offense will continue to look like shit. Is this Fran's concession to Cook coming back? It's an experiment that needs to be terminated. Cook is a post player with bad hands, feed him where he can score, then tell him to earn his points on the boards. I would love to see the stats that tell us how many times his bringing the ball up has led to points vs turnovers. I have my prediction that it's the latter that is in the lead.
Cook can dunk, and shoot from 4 feet in, and he is a turnover machine.

There are probably 80 teams that can say when they are clicking on all cylinders they are top 25. The test is when they aren't.

last 6 games 3 losses 2 by wide margins. 3 games won that easily could have been big L's. The body of work over 9 years suggest this is normal.

They are slow period and teams figure it out. Iowa is missing a White this year to attack. They are missing speed period.
Inconsistent D is mostly on speed.

Last edited:
On a positive note(always try to take a jab at little brother) Iowa is getting beatdowns due to lack of athletes and to many slow white guys on the court at the same time. ISU has many talented players and are getting beatdown by crap to average teams...

We lack athleticism, period. Weak, slow, get shoved around. Our guards are pathetically slow, they can't beat anyone driving the ball, yet other teams guards drive by them at will. This team is not a good team.

Iowa is more athletic than Wisconsin and has been pretty much every year over the last 7 seasons. Yet Wisconsin is a really good program.

This is about bad defense. Always has been under Fran. Coaching, effort, decision making, communication, everything involved with being a marginal defense is lacking in this program.

Iowa is more athletic than Wisconsin and has been pretty much every year over the last 7 seasons.

I suppose it depends on what you mean by athletic. We're usually more lean, but I don't think that type of athleticism necessarily translates into better shooting position, defense in the paint, blocking out for rebounds, taking people off the dribble, etc. We don't have strong hips or arms pretty much across the lineup. Modern men's basketball isn't so much a finesse sport anymore.

No, Iowa won that Michigan game straight up, but the better team doesn't always win. That's why you play the games.

Fran's first team also beat a Top 10 Purdue team last game of the season. Lick beat MSU.

I'm not comparing this team to those other teams, but the point is that upsets happen.

The rest of Iowa's wins have come against teams 7th or lower in the current standings. I said it before: to me, that says Iowa is basically a middle of the pack team. Worse as of late.

Latest posts