Rutgers Beats the shit out of Iowa

There is your headline. As blunt as I can be. Will love to see the excuse Iowa media members come up with. At least the baby boys in black and yellow showed up, they’ll get a participation trophy, right? YAYYYYYY!!!!:):):)

“But they went 5-2 in February” yea 5-2 in February doesn’t mean shit when you go 0-5 in March.

Time for Iowa to move on and hire a coach that actually coaches.

Iowa doesn’t play well against teams that body up and play in your shorts D.
True it's clear we don't practice that way! Because we don't play defense that way. Of course asking a slow Luka Garza to cover that rotation to close out a wing 3 is a joke as well. That's coaching my friends pure and simple.

This team is better than last year, but they're not that much better. Take away the 2 last second wins and the overtime win and we're barely on the bubble. Will Pemsl & Nunge be an upgrade over Cook & Baer?
No because the coaching a recruiting won't change so NO it will be more of the same. 200+ in defense efficiency. Everyone except us seems to be shooting better than they were 2 weeks ago. I know the Purdue faithful get pissed at Matt Painter and they will again when Purdue exits early in the Dance but DAMN can that dude win conference games! Fran take note his staff coaches D not blames the refs. You may also want to pull Connor aside and have him quit whining about NO calls and hustle after balls on the floor.

Many are saying this may be Fran's best team. They're 6th in the conference (just above the middle) and needed two miracle finishes to get there. (OK, one miracle finish...JBo's shot to beat Northwestern was the real deal.. all be it against a team they should blow out at home). Think about that, his peak...is just above the middle of the pack.

6 of the last 7 years Fran's teams have been .500 or worse in the last 7-8 games. The exception being the 2014-15 club that finished tied for 4th in the conference. He's won 2 games in the NCAA tourney in 8 years.

This is a pattern...or as Fran might describe it, his "body of work".
Who’s many? I’ve heard one person say that

LOLOL listened to Coach Francis response to TK, "Coach what did you guys talk about at halftime?" Coach Francis "well we talked about adjustements we need to make on Defense in the 2nd half." Let's see I believe Rutgers scored about a half-century against your Hapless Hawkeye D AFTER you made the adjustments. That's maybe the most telling response of all when you look at the result.

Who’s many? I’ve heard one person say that

OK, one of Fran's best teams. Parse it how ever you wish. In mid Fed when they were 20-5 they were on pace to be in that discussion and there were plenty of people speculating on it.

Point still stands about his body of work.

Many are saying this may be Fran's best team. They're 6th in the conference (just above the middle) and needed two miracle finishes to get there. (OK, one miracle finish...JBo's shot to beat Northwestern was the real deal.. all be it against a team they should blow out at home). Think about that, his peak...is just above the middle of the pack.

6 of the last 7 years Fran's teams have been .500 or worse in the last 7-8 games. The exception being the 2014-15 club that finished tied for 4th in the conference. He's won 2 games in the NCAA tourney in 8 years.

This is a pattern...or as Fran might describe it, his "body of work".
His BIG record is <.500. He's coaching up to his abilities.

LOLOL listened to Coach Francis response to TK, "Coach what did you guys talk about at halftime?" Coach Francis "well we talked about adjustements we need to make on Defense in the 2nd half." Let's see I believe Rutgers scored about a half-century against your Hapless Hawkeye D AFTER you made the adjustments. That's maybe the most telling response of all when you look at the result.

I cringed when I heard his response. They just don’t take playing defense seriously. I’m a Chiefs fan and it reminds me of this years team. You can’t stop us on offense but our defense is last in the league. This philosophy didn’t work in the playoffs. Fired their D coordinator.

I just don’t think it’ll get better until there is a philosophy change.

OK, one of Fran's best teams. Parse it how ever you wish. In mid Fed when they were 20-5 they were on pace to be in that discussion and there were plenty of people speculating on it.

Point still stands about his body of work.
Correct. A few people correctly saw a few chinks in the armor after a few of the road drubbings and poorer play following Michigan.

Right now the bar is set at a 7 seed and making it to the round of 32. Not extremely high agreed but after this season we should be NCAA 4 of the last 6 years with one season as first four out.

Need to take the next step at some point.

I cringed when I heard his response. They just don’t take playing defense seriously. I’m a Chiefs fan and it reminds me of this years team. You can’t stop us on offense but our defense is last in the league. This philosophy didn’t work in the playoffs. Fired their D coordinator.

I just don’t think it’ll get better until there is a philosophy change.
LOLOL funny about your analogy....I happen to be a Chiefs season ticket holder myself!!! Couldn't have hit that nerve any better!

Maybe Sherm should take the ropes for this next game?

We haven't been playing great ball for over a month now.. The players need to watch the tape from some of the non con games we won. Rewatch some of those and how we were able to impose our will on teams. Move the ball. Play inside out. Get the other teams in foul trouble. Make our free throws. Play aggressive on D and rebound at that end.
It felt like they were goin through the motions out there. Not sure if their all worn down or what but the lack of energy was pretty apparent.

We haven't been playing great ball for over a month now.. The players need to watch the tape from some of the non con games we won. Rewatch some of those and how we were able to impose our will on teams. Move the ball. Play inside out. Get the other teams in foul trouble. Make our free throws. Play aggressive on D and rebound at that end.
It felt like they were goin through the motions out there. Not sure if their all worn down or what but the lack of energy was pretty apparent.

I think the non-conference season is part of the problem. I definitely agree with you that we were playing much better earlier on, but I'm not sure if the credit should go to how well we were playing or the opposition we were playing well against.

I think the non-conference season is part of the problem. I definitely agree with you that we were playing much better earlier on, but I'm not sure if the credit should go to how well we were playing or the opposition we were playing well against.
That's the balancing act... Hindsight helps with knowing more about it but man. We have to get off to better starts to games. The slow starts and playing up hill is really weighing heavily on them guys. Their confidence seems shot regardless of what they say their body language out there is telling the story

That's the balancing act... Hindsight helps with knowing more about it but man. We have to get off to better starts to games. The slow starts and playing up hill is really weighing heavily on them guys. Their confidence seems shot regardless of what they say their body language out there is telling the story

Kind of blows my mind the way Rutgers immediately came out and said they were looking forward to the rematch in Iowa City. We knew they wanted it and they made it clear that they wanted it. Yet they showed up and we didn't. Really says a lot. The other side of that is I came away from that game thinking Rutgers being the younger team came a long way in a few weeks and how quickly we fell back down to earth. Speaking as someone who's been on the roller coaster too long, I can't honestly that I'm confident in 3 or 4 years we're the better program.

Actually Oregon has like 18 wins UConn has 14-15 wins so actually we've been playing similar teams and looking terrible. I'm frankly more concerned with the lack of energy....team seems sapped and they do every year at this time. Can't hit shots wide open or challenged. Cook looks like he's going through the motions. We still don't seem to understand how to run people off the 3 line in a close out. The LAST thing you want to do is let guys with shooting talent start raining in 3's at the beginning vis a vi Rutgers.

Latest posts