Rushing the field/court is overdone, but...

Oh wow, just another thing that officials are doing to get rid of the great hawkeye gameday experience. Honestly this is getting ridiculous. The way things are going, they'r not going to allow people to stand during games cause many people can't see at times. So if we clinch the legends division next year at home, no rushing the field? How dull Is that gonna look. I'd say rush the field anyways. They can't stop everyone. And then just run away if the try to arrest you.

Oh wow, just another thing that officials are doing to get rid of the great hawkeye gameday experience. Honestly this is getting ridiculous. The way things are going, they'r not going to allow people to stand during games cause many people can't see at times. So if we clinch the legends division next year at home, no rushing the field? How dull Is that gonna look. I'd say rush the field anyways. They can't stop everyone. And then just run away if the try to arrest you.

2c0a176f-4892-4a2e-8c8f-d8a87aacb3b2.jpg

Fans know the risk involved when they rush the field. If they don't want to run the risk of getting injured then stay off the field. But big games (Wisc. 2004, PSU 2008) would not be the same without the fans rushing afterwards.

It would be fine to take this approach if fans signed a waiver before they rushed the field. However, they don't. That means the University is financially liable when someone becomes hurt, and worse if someone gets tragically hurt the University administrators have to live with the knowledge that they could have prevented it.

Iowa is not saying, "Don't do dangerous but fun things."

They are saying, "Don't do dangerous but fun things on our property because we know you will sue us if something goes wrong and we could have taken steps to prevent it."

Good move by the U of I for the following reasons:

10 injured, 3 hospitalized as fans storm the field at UVA

Husker player knocks Missouri fan unconcious

21 students injured, 1 paralyzed, during on-field celebration at the University of Toledo

73 injured, 6 critically, as Badger fans rush field

Intro from article in Sports Lawyers Journal regarding fan injuries during on-field celebrations

These incidents are not common, but you never know when something intended to be fun could turn ugly and result in tragedy. I am sure most fans have the best of intentions, but when you mix the capriciousness of youth, a good dose of alcohol, emotional visiting players that have just lost an important game, and thousands of bodies, it is impossible to predict the result. Best to be proactive in this case.

From more of a philosophical standpoint, I feel like the field is kind of sacred. The players and coaches have paid for the right to step foot on it through their blood and sweat. Fans have not. Celebrate with the players once they come out of the locker-room, congratulate them when you see them in class, but don't mob them after the game just because you want to be part of an "experience."

Yeah, after reading these, maybe its better to enjoy from the stands

Here is my take. Players are students. They should be able to celebrate with other students after the game. Have a section in the south endzone where the student section can celebrate with their classmates.

Everyone else needs to stay in the stands!

Watching football is emotional, even in one's home. I suggest wearing a helmet while watching it on TV.

I already do. I get dressed up in full game gear--helmet, pads, pants, jersey, even a mouth guard.

I look like Tyler Sash sitting on my living room couch.

Don't tell me I'm the only one...

It would be fine to take this approach if fans signed a waiver before they rushed the field. However, they don't. That means the University is financially liable when someone becomes hurt, and worse if someone gets tragically hurt the University administrators have to live with the knowledge that they could have prevented it.

Iowa is not saying, "Don't do dangerous but fun things."

They are saying, "Don't do dangerous but fun things on our property because we know you will sue us if something goes wrong and we could have taken steps to prevent it."

This is it in a nut shell. Sure would hate to see the University in ugly litigation because of this. If you really feel you can't truly celebrate a Hawk win without doing this at the end.... stay home and enjoy it there!

If you are arrested for rushing the field, it wasn't a big enough win.

You better make sure you have 70,000 friends with you. They can't arrest everyone.

Latest posts