Running Back Situation

Fumbles included?

I'm not saying he's a finished product. But let's say Wegher's ineligible, and Hampton is out awhile. Those are decisions that KF may make very soon. That gives them plenty of time to get White's fumbling issues worked out. I wouldn't be too surprised if they do that anyway, just in case.

Exactly. Wegher is NOT ineligible. But some Internet rumors just will not die.

I have heard it from multiple sources, but the main source was from the parents of a player. They wouldn't lie. Now that was a while ago, Wegher could have easily rebounded. Plus he has the summer.

Then again it really doesn't matter, Wegher isn't a feature back. Maybe at ISU, or the MAC, but Not in the Big Ten. Less than 4yd/carry just doesn't cut it. He needs to be a wingback or receiver.

I have heard it from multiple sources, but the main source was from the parents of a player. They wouldn't lie. Now that was a while ago, Wegher could have easily rebounded. Plus he has the summer.

Then again it really doesn't matter, Wegher isn't a feature back. Maybe at ISU, or the MAC, but Not in the Big Ten. Less than 4yd/carry just doesn't cut it. He needs to be a wingback or receiver.

Rashard Mendenhall averaged 4.5 as a freshman at Illinois, and was NOT Illinois' top goalline back, as Wegher was for us. Was Mendenhall not a Big Ten feature back? After the Wisconsin game, Wegher ran for 350 yards on 81 carries (a 4.3 ypc average). I don't think he's a feature back either, but neither is Robinson, and who knows about Hampton at this point. But Wegher is an important cog in a mulit-faceted machine at RB. He plays his role, just like Robinson did last season. He may develop into a feature back, I won't say he can't. He's not one right now, but guess what? We don't need one right now.

And btw, Wegher finished the season with a 4.0 ypc average. As a true freshman. In the Big Ten. That's a pretty solid job, IMO.

Although my impression is that Hampton will be suspended for AT WORST 1 game ... if you have to call upon another guy to contribute, it would probably initially be Rogers because he'd be further along in the pass blocking. However, that said, the coaches would probably not hesitate to give Coker an early shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunderMifflinHk
Is Wegher really ineligible? Grades have been out for a long time and if it was true you'd think we would of heard definite news by now.

Who knows - I'm just putting a worst case scenario out there.

If he is ineligible couldn't he take summer school and get eligible? Maybe that's why it's been so quite??

Last edited:
Well at least from the sound of things we wont have to worry about Coker getting arrested for public intox or being ineligible. He sounds like a straight shooter.

I think we have four or five guys who could be great backs, I would be more worried about who is making the holes.

Rashard Mendenhall averaged 4.5 as a freshman at Illinois, and was NOT Illinois' top goalline back, as Wegher was for us. Was Mendenhall not a Big Ten feature back? After the Wisconsin game, Wegher ran for 350 yards on 81 carries (a 4.3 ypc average). I don't think he's a feature back either, but neither is Robinson, and who knows about Hampton at this point. But Wegher is an important cog in a mulit-faceted machine at RB. He plays his role, just like Robinson did last season. He may develop into a feature back, I won't say he can't. He's not one right now, but guess what? We don't need one right now.

And btw, Wegher finished the season with a 4.0 ypc average. As a true freshman. In the Big Ten. That's a pretty solid job, IMO.

well said. I agree.

I suggest you copy & paste this quote into an email and send it to yourself. Then read it midway through the 2010 season. If Wegher has stayed healthy that long, you will realize how easy it is to be mistaken.

Iowa should become the first NCAA team in history to never run a running play all season...pass, pass, pass...let RS win the Heisman with 8795 yards on 2157 attempts and 1034 completions.

I think some of you are crazy. Wegher can't be a feature back??? This guy was a TRUE freshman last year, not a redshirt FR like Robinson. How many long runs for touchdown did Robinson make...Penn State was probably the longest. Wegher showed some breakaway speed against Indiana, GT, and don't forget the one against Northwestern that was wrongly called back.

His body is going to mature and he now understands the speed of the college game. There is no mistaking these guys were also protecting the ball at all times last year as I'm sure Ferentz made it clear, "you put the ball on the ground, you don't play." This guy is what, 210 pounds now. He has speed and some vision that will only improve with playing time. I'm sorry, if he's healthy, he's our starting tailback against EI. He also showed he can catch the ball and actually has great hands.

I like Robinson, he's a shifty, dependable back who deserves playing time, but if you are evaluating long term potential, Wegher has considerably more upside IMO.

I think some of you are crazy. Wegher can't be a feature back??? This guy was a TRUE freshman last year, not a redshirt FR like Robinson. How many long runs for touchdown did Robinson make...Penn State was probably the longest. Wegher showed some breakaway speed against Indiana, GT, and don't forget the one against Northwestern that was wrongly called back.

His body is going to mature and he now understands the speed of the college game. There is no mistaking these guys were also protecting the ball at all times last year as I'm sure Ferentz made it clear, "you put the ball on the ground, you don't play." This guy is what, 210 pounds now. He has speed and some vision that will only improve with playing time. I'm sorry, if he's healthy, he's our starting tailback against EI. He also showed he can catch the ball and actually has great hands.

I like Robinson, he's a shifty, dependable back who deserves playing time, but if you are evaluating long term potential, Wegher has considerably more upside IMO.

Wegher reminds me of Albert Young and is the same size. Robinson was given more slack than BW and did a nice job of hanging on to the ball. BW will get more slack this year and we should see more 12 yd runs in moderate traffic. Below are some of the Wegher accomplishments in 09.

Set Iowa freshman record with eight rushing touchdowns . . . ranks third in rushing yards (641) among Iowa freshmen and fourth in all-purpose yards (967) . . . for all games, tied for eighth in the Big Ten in scoring (4.0) and ranked 10th in rushing yards (53.4) . . . one of three true freshmen to see action in 2009 . . . recorded first 100-yard rushing game in second game of career (15-101-1 TD) at Iowa State and had career-bests (25-118-3 TDs) in win over Indiana in first career start. 2009 Honors - - Next Man In Award, Offense.
2009 - - Saw action in 12 games, with two starts . . . first action of career in 17-16 win over Northern Iowa, recording one assisted tackle on special teams . . . saw action in 35-3 win at Iowa State as offense gained 426 yards total offense . . . led rushing attack with 15 attempts for 101 yards and one touchdown at ISU . . . first career score came on one-yard run in the third period . . . also had two pass receptions for 17 yards at ISU . . . saw action in 27-17 win over Arizona as offense maintained 37:56 in time of possession . . . rushed 17 times for 46 yards vs. Arizona, scoring final Iowa touchdown on a one-yard run . . . also had two pass receptions for seven yards . . . saw action in 21-10 win at Penn State . . . rushed 14 times for 73 yards at Penn State, with a career-best 28 yard run . . . also had career-best 25-yard KO return . . . saw action in 24-21 win over Arkansa State as offense gained 420 yards total offense . . . rushed 11 times for 49 yards and had two pass receptions for 12 yards . . . saw action at running back in 30-28 win over Michigan . . . gained 21 yards on 13 carries and had two receptions for 12 yards vs. Wolverines . . . scored second period touchdown on a one-yard run . . . also had two KO returns for 57 yards, including a season-best 34-yard return . . . saw action at running back in 20-10 win at Wisconsin . . . had one yard rushing and two pass receptions vs. Badgers . . . also had 57 yards on two KO returns, including 39-yard return to start the game . . . saw action at running back in 15-13 win at Michigan State . . . rushed six times for 30 yards vs. MSU . . . also had one reception for 23 yards and 36 yards on two KO returns . . . 23-yard reception led to field goal in second period and is career-long . . . started at running back in 42-24 win over Indiana as offense gained 480 yards total offense . . . led rushing attacking with career-best of 25 carries for 118 yards and three touchdowns . . . scored on four-yard run in first half . . . added touchdown runs of six and 27 yards in fourth period as Iowa pulled away for the win . . . also had one reception for eight yards . . . started at running back in 17-10 loss to Northwestern . . . rushed 19 times for 63 yards vs. Wildcats and had 14 yards on one reception . . . had 66-yard scoring run called back due to penalty . . . did not see action in 27-24 overtime loss at Ohio State due to injury . . . saw action in 12-0 win over Minnesota . . . rushed 15 times for 26 yards vs. Gophers, with a one-yard scoring run in the second period . . . saw action at running back in 24-14 Orange Bowl win over Georgia Tech as offense gained 403 yards total offense . . . led team with 16 carries for 113 yards and one touchdown vs. Georgia Tech, surpassing 100 yards for third time . . . 32-yard touchdown run in fourth quarter sealed Iowa win and was his longest run from scrimmage . . . also had two KO returns for 39 yards.

First I am not even sure Hampton will be suspended. I think he could see some action in the second half of the EIU game. Lately "handling internally" usually means wait and see what really happened. If I am wrong and your worst case is correct Stormin' I see it shaking out like this- 1. Robinson, 2 Rogers/ Coker 4 Paki... I think that White has a bright future as a defensive back. And I mean bright like a possible starter at safety.

Even if all RB's are healthy and eligible .......saying we have enough depth assumes....

* all hold on to the ball equally well

* all are of a size that can take continued Big 10 punishment and play equally well mid to late season

* all can catch passes, run the ball effectively, and know the playbook equally well where we can use a wide array of weaponry from the playbook each week

We probably have enough depth if all we require is to line someone up behind the QB.

First I am not even sure Hampton will be suspended. I think he could see some action in the second half of the EIU game. Lately "handling internally" usually means wait and see what really happened. If I am wrong and your worst case is correct Stormin' I see it shaking out like this- 1. Robinson, 2 Rogers/ Coker 4 Paki... I think that White has a bright future as a defensive back. And I mean bright like a possible starter at safety.

This year?

Because KF is so big into making sure the players know the system, and he is also a bit preferential to upper classmen, Paki would start the year as the #2 back, as much as that makes me want to vomit, I think it's true.

All assumptions and hearsay included...

Assume Jewel is suspended for a little while.
Assume Wegher is ineligible.

Who do you see stepping up:

A-Rob obviously, then who? Rogers? Coker?

Thoughts?

My thought is that its disappointing that a "legend" like you Spank would
be perpetuating the Wegher rumor under any circumstance.