Rumors about Brust

HawkeyeBench

Adam Jacobi on BHGP writing about rumors of Brust asking for his release also. Really hope this isn't true. Can't afford any more casualties.

Figures. I hope this in inacurate. With payne being one of his best buds, i would think that brust would still be coming, unless of course payne is leaving too.

who cares he hasnt even played a minute for us, these are players lick and his staff got to play in his system.jus means another scholly for coach to use on his type of player. im not worried fran the man has everthing under control

That will be one uncomfortable living room session. "Um coach, you have just lost your best player and top rated recruit after you sat in their living room, what can you say that should stop us from following suit?"

That will be one uncomfortable living room session. "Um coach, you have just lost your best player and top rated recruit after you sat in their living room, what can you say that should stop us from following suit?"

Geeze. You are the most ardent Lickliter defender of the Universe. Negative posts abound!!! Why don't you close your computer and go cry in a corner for your pal Licky and stop bothering the rest of us with illogical arguments that Fran is the same as Lickliter. You do realize that Fuller was 100% out of here if Lickliter were to still be the coach, right? Plus a few others. And you do realize that Larson was suspended from his high school basketball team, right? Do you not understand collegiate athletics? (sorry, rhetorical question). Lickliter's problems were many, but one of them was the increasingly obvious talent disparity between Iowa and the rest of the Big 10. Did you seriously want Iowa to return all the players from an atrocious team and expect them all to turn into the Miracle Mets or Angels in the Outfield?? Come on. Get real. The hiring of Fran was the closing of a bad book. We are going to have to live with some renovation and there is nothing you can say that can persuade the logical mind that this is somehow Fran's fault and that Lickliter should still be here. Iowa could very well be terrible next year, but at least it comes with a beacon of hope. There was NO hope with Lickliter.

Good post gn. I wish our new coach success today. If not,we will have to move on. I think we keep Brust!

If the Brust's are that simplistic in their thinking, we don't want that kid on our team...regardless of his talent.

I highly doubt they are.

If he wants to stay and play for Fran, great! If not, let's get someone who does. It's not that complicated. Time to clean house.

This is a 6ft 2inch shooting guard. I like the kid, he plays up close to where I live but I don't think at this stage of recruiting he is going to have that many great offers open. And if he does god bless him. We knew this stuff might happen and many of you that were saying we need to recruit better talent are now probably going to get your wish.

I didn't get real excited with this coaching hire at first but after listening to him I am actually optimistic for the first time since we hired Alford. I really think this guy will turn this program around and we are just gonna have to be patient.

If I was Fran: "well if thats your thought process then maybe you should leave with them. Obviously everyone else is staying, so why not look at the positive in that like 95% of the team is staying with their new coach and system, i think thats remarkable. but if you do want to look at the pessimist side... Fuller was gone even if John Wooden was the next coach and Larson was recruited by lick, not me. I haven't lost anyone, he's not even on campus yet. kids change their mind. If he doesn't want to play uptempo ball then this isn't the place for him and I hope he finds a place to play where he gets what he's looking for."

The new class was a pretty good class. When Walthall was released, that is what is causing the ruckus so is six of one half-dozen of the other.

The coach hires his own staff or keeps a Lickliter holdover to maintain a couple of recruits--what does he do? Do we lose a couple of potentially good recruits by going a different route with a new coaching staff? A staff that can possibly/probably recruits better than Lickliter holdovers? I don't know. Perhaps Walthall would be a different recruiter under FM? Obviously FM wanted and felt more comfortable with his own coaches and knew what they could do. Maybe also he thinks/knows his new staff will recruit better players or know the type of players that he wants?

Anyone who thought this transition was going to be seamless was living in another world. Lickliter left this program in a mess. Fuller, it is pretty obvious, was on his way out and possibly some others had Lickliter stayed. Lickliter would again had to start over.

So what is the difference...We are starting over with a new coaching staff instead of starting year 4 over with Lickliter and a definite near bottom finish in the Big 10 and no hope what so ever. At least we are starting with a new coaching staff and new philosophy...at least there is a glimmer of hope in the east again.

Geeze. You are the most ardent Lickliter defender of the Universe. Negative posts abound!!! Why don't you close your computer and go cry in a corner for your pal Licky and stop bothering the rest of us with illogical arguments that Fran is the same as Lickliter. You do realize that Fuller was 100% out of here if Lickliter were to still be the coach, right? Plus a few others. And you do realize that Larson was suspended from his high school basketball team, right? Do you not understand collegiate athletics? (sorry, rhetorical question). Lickliter's problems were many, but one of them was the increasingly obvious talent disparity between Iowa and the rest of the Big 10. Did you seriously want Iowa to return all the players from an atrocious team and expect them all to turn into the Miracle Mets or Angels in the Outfield?? Come on. Get real. The hiring of Fran was the closing of a bad book. We are going to have to live with some renovation and there is nothing you can say that can persuade the logical mind that this is somehow Fran's fault and that Lickliter should still be here. Iowa could very well be terrible next year, but at least it comes with a beacon of hope. There was NO hope with Lickliter.

EXACTLY! Great Post. We need talent and athletes and Fran knows this. Next year will be tough but the future has hope. Fran knows how to rebuild and he will get it done. Give him a couple years. Lickliter thought his system was the key...Fran knows talent is the key.

I guess I'd rather just sink the freaking ship and start to build it back. Can it really get worse than 10-21 and playing the beach basket brand of basketball? No.

There is a loaded class in the state of Iowa for 2012. I'd rather have as many rides available for them as possible and NOT get tied up in Jucos

To be specific, BGHP links to a tweet by a writer for Hawkeye Report which says:

"Sources indicate Ben Brust is likely leaning toward asking for his release as well." Apparently this was posted around 2-3 am this morning.

The other alarming but hard-to-believe part of the BGHP report (which they do not attribute to HR) is that Caff is losing Lick's recruits because he has elected to "rip" Lick to the recruits as part of portraying himself as the "anti-Lick."

I think it's true that Caff's the "anti[Lick" in many ways, and that's a good thing. The BGHP writer claims to have sources for that assertion, but I have a very hard time believing that Caff is directly disparaging Lick in his meetings with the signed recruits.

I'd like to hear from Spanky on this, because (a) he's had a fair amount of contact with Brust and perhaps others in the 2010 class, and (b) he has some association with BGHP, which I understand is written by Adam Jacobi.

This whole rumor does smell awefully like a bunch of bull ----...that said, if true, I agree with Jon, let's get recruiting for the following years class, unless there are some diamonds in the ruff that Fran can dig up for next year...

I guess I'd rather just sink the freaking ship and start to build it back. Can it really get worse than 10-21 and playing the beach basket brand of basketball? No.

There is a loaded class in the state of Iowa for 2012. I'd rather have as many rides available for them as possible and NOT get tied up in Jucos

+1 on 2012

We need to get at least 2 from that class.

Preferably Paige and Woodbury.

This is exactly why Fran should try to grab the best jucos he can find now...they will bridge us to the class of 2012. Get some players, band-aid this for two years so we can be respectable while we recruit HS players to replace them in 2012....no brainer.

Yes. 0-31 would be worse.