Rumore from the other site with link re: Forbes

That is one of the more ignorant statements I've heard. It's insulting to coaches and teachers everywhere. Some people happen to be passionate about teaching the game, including those who "can".

Not an ignorant statement at all. I'm the product of two teachers and couldn't have more respect for the profession. My father coached my little league team and my junior high basketball team. All I'm saying is that if he could have been in the MLB or the NBA, he'd have been there. His passion for those sports would rival the greatest players of all time. So to dismiss someone because they don't have the physical prowess to play the sport is out and out wrong.

I believe Forbes was an athlete in high school.

That's what I'm hearing too. I'm not trying to make the point that he never played the game. Just trying to discount the attacks on him for not being in "professional athlete" shape.

I understand the concern with Forbes' appearence. However, from a different angle. He will have to recruit 18 year-old athletes. He will be competing against younger guys with which these young players can more easily relate. Now, if he had a record of success as a head coach it might not be as much of an issue. However, he is a lifetime assistant in his mid-forties. Not exactly much to excite young players there.

The PR on Forbes is that he has been a part of good staffs. However, he hasn't got his chance to lead a staff. With the opporunities he has had that should be a concern.

CAARHawk hopefully you get a chance to meet Steve some day. He would have you convinsed he is the guy in five minutes. He is unbelievable with recruits. He figured it out early in his coaching career that recruiting is all about building relationships. He builds tremendous relationships with players.
I have personally seen him coach and recruit at everyone of his stops. He is the real deal.

Is it bad that when I look at Forbes I don't see a guy I want to be synonymous with Iowa basketball. I know it is silly but I have a tough time rooting for a guy who doesn't look like he even takes care of himself physically.

I would be behind him if he were our coach and he may be a hell of a coach.

Rick Majerus was hell of a basketball coach and he looked like he didn't care about himself physcially.

Latest posts