Rumore from the other site with link re: Forbes

But not smart enough to stay in shape.

Yeah, Mike Holmgren was a real dumb-a**. And Bum Phillips. And Majerus. And Bob Knight with his big gut. Surely Iowa can do better.

And certainly, with the coaching community absolutely beating down the door to coach at Iowa, we would be smart to put as many constraints and criteria in place for candidates, to assure that none but the perfect coach in every way is even permitted to interview, let alone coach for us.

It is a privilege. Frankly, we shouldn't even have to pay them.

I have no doubt about that, but I have a tough to follow someone who can't demonstrate what they are trying to teach.

They aren't teaching fitness. They are teaching basketball. If a player doesn't stay in shape, they don't play. If you can't do, you teach. Hence, coaches.

Let's call this what it is. Pretty boy wants another pretty boy to cheer for. You're not watching for love of the game but for love of... something else. That's cool. This is America.

They aren't teaching fitness. They are teaching basketball. If a player doesn't stay in shape, they don't play. If you can't do, you teach. Hence, coaches.

Teaching someone proper footwork or how to read a screen is a lot different than teaching someone what a verb is. That statement is true on somethings but not everything.

Teaching someone proper footwork or how to read a screen is a lot different than teaching someone what a verb is. That statement is true on somethings but not everything.

So wrong.

The majority of coaches were not stellar athletes. The knew the game, they understood the game. Being born with athletic ability is a far reach from having a true understanding of the game. That's why these guys get so much money. There's brains and braun. One brain, lots of braun.

So wrong.

The majority of coaches were not stellar athletes. The knew the game, they understood the game. Being born with athletic ability is a far reach from having a true understanding of the game. That's why these guys get so much money. There's brains and braun. One brain, lots of braun.

You and I agree on this. I think a lot of great coaches were not great players and their intellectual abilities make them great coaches.

If the coach we get can win thats what I want.

Clearly Norm Parker is unable to help young men make themselves better athletes because of his weight. A source close to the situation said that when Parker tells Adrian Clayborn something...he is usually met with a "Shut up old man...you're fat!"

Would it be bad form to point out that Steve Alford was a trim, handsome guy?

Until he opened his mouth, anyway.

If Jabba the Hutt can deliver Big Ten titles and regular Sweet 16 runs, I'm in.

Only us Iowa fans would be talking about something this stupid.
Good grief.

no kidding. good grief is exactly what i thought.

if one of the 7 deadly sins excludes the Tennessee ***'t, then you'd have to agree that another one of the 7 deadly sins excludes their head coach, no??

Forbes was a great athlete at Lone Tree and I'm glad he's getting some attention for this gig. He's an Iowa guy, I wish him the best.

Would it be bad form to point out that Steve Alford was a trim, handsome guy?

Until he opened his mouth, anyway.

If Jabba the Hutt can deliver Big Ten titles and regular Sweet 16 runs, I'm in.

I get so tired of you ripping on Alford for absolutely no reason. He had no reason to be brought into this discussion. Must feel pretty good to be so cool that you need to put down our third all-time winning coach in order to make yourself feel tough. It gets old fast!!

Last edited by a moderator:
We need to hire a coach that is skinny as a beanpole because everyone knows that is a sign of intelligence and basketball know-how.

I get so tired of you ripping on Alford for absolutely no reason. He had no reason to be brought into this discussion. Must feel pretty good to be so cool that you need to put down our third all-time winning coach in order to make yourself feel tough. It gets old fast!!

Alford may have won the third most games in school history. But he had one NCAA tournament win in eight years.

To me, a 'winning' coach gets his team to the NCAA tournament. Alford needed one miracle, one year where he had his AD as the head of the selection committee, and one year where Iowa was a legit high seed. I don't have any axe to grind with Steve any longer, but to say because he is the third winningest coach in Ioaw history is something to hang your hat on when a coach is defined by the NCAA tournament, it's a reach.

As for not liking the cheap shots, I can understand that. That's valid on its face without going to the third winningest coach card.

I understand the concern with Forbes' appearence. However, from a different angle. He will have to recruit 18 year-old athletes. He will be competing against younger guys with which these young players can more easily relate. Now, if he had a record of success as a head coach it might not be as much of an issue. However, he is a lifetime assistant in his mid-forties. Not exactly much to excite young players there.

The PR on Forbes is that he has been a part of good staffs. However, he hasn't got his chance to lead a staff. With the opporunities he has had that should be a concern.

I understand the concern with Forbes' appearence. However, from a different angle. He will have to recruit 18 year-old athletes. He will be competing against younger guys with which these young players can more easily relate. Now, if he had a record of success as a head coach it might not be as much of an issue. However, he is a lifetime assistant in his mid-forties. Not exactly much to excite young players there.

The PR on Forbes is that he has been a part of good staffs. However, he hasn't got his chance to lead a staff. With the opporunities he has had that should be a concern.

The guy is flat out a great recruiter and he has proven it for a long time. It cannot be coincidence that he has been a part of nationally ranked recruiting classes at every stop he has ever made. Some guys just work harder at it than others. So he absolutely is relating to younger kids. Read the link from the OP and it talks about a concern of his leaving Tenn and how that might impact their chances with a really good player they are in on. I think people are making too much of this.

Let's call this what it is. Pretty boy wants another pretty boy to cheer for. You're not watching for love of the game but for love of... something else. That's cool. This is America.

maybe he should become a Lobo fan. That way he can watch some of the best hair in the NCAA.

Latest posts