Rumor floating around on Devries

Whats wrong with him?
I'm sure most coaches are dicks, but when you know one personally, you don't necessarily see them as a coach. If PJ Fleck (or someone else like him) became the coach at Iowa, it'd be hard to cheer for him and I don't know him personally.

Yep, Fran has been trying to move back to Philly for the past 14 years now, ya know, the place he last lived in when Reagan was president......
I see Fran in Florida when his coaching days are done. Warm weather and no state income tax are very appealing for guys in Fran's income bracket. That will be in about 5 years I think.

He's 65 this year and there aren't many places that would hire someone already past retirement age.

I see Fran in Florida when his coaching days are done. Warm weather and no state income tax are very appealing for guys in Fran's income bracket. That will be in about 5 years I think.

He's 65 this year and there aren't many places that would hire someone already past retirement age.
Fun fact. He shares a birthday (day amd year) with former Smiths frontman Morrissey. May 23, 1959.

I am the son
And the heir
Of a shyness that is criminally vulgar...of nothing in particular

Fran's not going to go an inch more west. If he is indeed going to coach after Iowa, I'd think he'd go to the east.

The Drake gig would allow him to coach Jack which I would assume is important to him. There is a infrastructure in place at Drake where he can immediately win and do it the way he wants to do it. He would be getting all the advice in the world from his mentor(Tom Davis) on what it takes to succeed there. He could literally have Pmac and Conner on his staff without any push back.

Clearly, this isn't going to happen, but you can see how someone can play around with the different scenarios in your head.

The Drake gig would allow him to coach Jack which I would assume is important to him. There is a infrastructure in place at Drake where he can immediately win and do it the way he wants to do it. He would be getting all the advice in the world from his mentor(Tom Davis) on what it takes to succeed there. He could literally have Pmac and Conner on his staff without any push back.

Clearly, this isn't going to happen, but you can see how someone can play around with the different scenarios in your head.
Jack is on record multiple times saying there's no way he'd play for his dad because of the shit storm that his brothers both dealt with. I respect that big time.

As someone who has coached a son from kindergarten through high school, I understand completely. If I had it to do over again I'd probably not have taken the high school job because I've never gotten to just sit back and enjoy watching him play as a spectator.

It's also why track and XC are my favorite high school sports now. I have zero responsibilities or decisions to make, and I can go watch him compete with nothing to do but cheer on him and his teammates.

He's gotten a couple D1 XC visits and a whole bunch of D2/3/NAIA visits as a junior and I'm sure the offers will start in September. It's been amazing as a parent to watch it happen as an outside observer and I'm ridiculously glad it isn't baseball. Never thought I'd say that...if you'd asked me ten years ago I would've hoped like hell he'd be a college baseball player but then I wouldn't have gotten to appreciate this whole thing as much. People always think it's a given that coaching your kids is the ultimate experience a coach can have, but it's not. There are a lot of really cool things, but there's a lot of shitty stuff too. Chief among them that you don't get to soak it up. That's why I'm so thankful mine has blossomed in a sport that isn't one I coach. There will be plenty of time for us to bond over baseball as he gets into adulthood. With track and cross country I can just go enjoy everything stress free and I have a blast.

Boy did Drake shit the bed. Missing all those FTs in a close game like that kills you. I thought DeVries kid kinda caved in to the pressure down the stretch. They had 3 possessions where on 2 of them he gave up the ball and didn't try to even make a move to shoot and the last one he turned it over trying to drive. If any of those possessions goes Drakes way it coulda been different. But after that it was a two possession game and pretty academic from there.

Jack is on record multiple times saying there's no way he'd play for his dad because of the shit storm that his brothers both dealt with. I respect that big time.

As someone who has coached a son from kindergarten through high school, I understand completely. If I had it to do over again I'd probably not have taken the high school job because I've never gotten to just sit back and enjoy watching him play as a spectator.

It's also why track and XC are my favorite high school sports now. I have zero responsibilities or decisions to make, and I can go watch him compete with nothing to do but cheer on him and his teammates.

He's gotten a couple D1 XC visits and a whole bunch of D2/3/NAIA visits as a junior and I'm sure the offers will start in September. It's been amazing as a parent to watch it happen as an outside observer and I'm ridiculously glad it isn't baseball. Never thought I'd say that...if you'd asked me ten years ago I would've hoped like hell he'd be a college baseball player but then I wouldn't have gotten to appreciate this whole thing as much. People always think it's a given that coaching your kids is the ultimate experience a coach can have, but it's not. There are a lot of really cool things, but there's a lot of shitty stuff too. Chief among them that you don't get to soak it up. That's why I'm so thankful mine has blossomed in a sport that isn't one I coach. There will be plenty of time for us to bond over baseball as he gets into adulthood. With track and cross country I can just go enjoy everything stress free and I have a blast.
I coached my 2 oldest in baseball and softball up until HS Varsity with travel ball. I told them each off-season that I'd stop in a second if ever didn't want me to coach them. They basically said that I was more helpful than any of their other coaches and helped others a lot too instead of spending a majority of my time on them.

That was what I desired to do and it was nice that they validated it. Plus I liked being involved the day to day practices with them and the team as a whole.

The Oklahoma State gig seems to be linked to DeVries. Tucker is (what?) two time MVC POY? Heading into his senior year? DeVries is underpaid with four 20 win seasons I believe. Doesn't even make a million. I'm curious if he waits until Tucker graduates or does he and Tucker take their show on the road?

Did I miss something, did Jack commit to Drake?

I see what you are saying, but he could do that at any school that has an open position. I just don't see Fran living in Des Moines.

I coached my 2 oldest in baseball and softball up until HS Varsity with travel ball. I told them each off-season that I'd stop in a second if ever didn't want me to coach them. They basically said that I was more helpful than any of their other coaches and helped others a lot too instead of spending a majority of my time on them.

That was what I desired to do and it was nice that they validated it. Plus I liked being involved the day to day practices with them and the team as a whole.
I was fine until HS. It's still fine, but I'd also like to get to enjoy the parent side of things too. I've only had a couple parents whine about it so that hasn't really been an issue.

Their son happens to be in the same grade as my son and he likes playing the same position. Our numbers in the whole school for sports are crazy low, so a few years ago my kid ended up getting full varsity time with a few other freshmen...their son wasn't one of them and played the same spot so naturally I got the "coach's kid" bullshit from them and their circle, and there was a bunch of garbage going back and forth on Facebook that friends of mine showed me (I don't have Fartbook). My thought at the time was to put the kid out there in a varsity game and let them see he couldn't handle it, but I'm not a big enough asshole to do that to a kid. His parents were the ones bitching, not him.

Other than that it's been great and my kid likes me coaching him, I just would like to see the other side as I get older. For the most part I've taught him what I know by now...he and his teammates have played enough baseball together for the past 12 years that they'd be fine.

The Oklahoma State gig seems to be linked to DeVries. Tucker is (what?) two time MVC POY? Heading into his senior year? DeVries is underpaid with four 20 win seasons I believe. Doesn't even make a million. I'm curious if he waits until Tucker graduates or does he and Tucker take their show on the road?
Best guess is Tucker would go with him if Dad leaves for a better gig. And he'll have offers be it OK state and others I would think.

Agree on Tucker choking down the stretch, and the FT shooting was painful. Drake deserved to win that game, but.....

That's two years in a row that he chocked down the stretch in a game that Drake should have won. I think he's realizing that if he wants to take the next step as a coach, it's probably not going to be in Des Moines.

My eye is on Grand Canyon's Scott Drew if Fran does hang it up soon. They are giving Alabama all they can handle as I type this. His teams back down from no one.

My eye is on Grand Canyon's Scott Drew if Fran does hang it up soon. They are giving Alabama all they can handle as I type this. His teams back down from no one.
I was wishing the same thing. Something needs to change. Now.
You won’t advance without Defense.
F me

Latest posts