Rudock Update

I agree with all of this. If JR is healthy, I'd lay 60-40 odds he starts, since it's a road game.

Jon, I just read HawkeyeGameFilm's review of he Iowa offense that you have posted on your home page. HGF indicated that CJ showed a command of the offense and he described it this way: "By ‘command of the offense’ I specifically mean he knew where his receivers were and knew when and where to make his throws."

My question is does HGF view JR as having the same command of the offense. To me, JR seems to rush through his reads to get to the check down as quickly as possible. I get the impression that is because it is a 3 or 4 yard passing gain is as good as a 3 or 4 yard running game and that this is viewed as acceptable. To me, this is a very conservative approach. I have used btn2go.com to review parts of the UNI and ISU games, as well as, all of the BSU game. From what I can see, within the view of the tv camera, is JR consistently coming off a receiver just prior to that receiver breaking open; taking the dump down pass for a short completion.

What I saw with CJ against PITT was that he seemed to utilize the route patterns as they were intended and it validated, to a degree GD's system (not the play calling, so much, but the system.) A good example of what I mean is the 3rd down play we've all discussed. HGF describes CJ's first option is KMM on a jerk route from right to left. Hamilton's pattern brought him right into CJ's line of sight as CJ decided against throwing to KMM an as he was starting to feel the blitz pressure. As we saw, CJ used his arm strength to gun a bullet to Hamilton for a first down

If JR doesnt get any first team practice reps it would seem to be a time to start CJ.

It is one thing to get injured and knocked out of a game but if you are the QB and cant practice and there is a perfectly good replacement, go with the replacement.

KF might have an easy decision with JR being unable to practice.

If CJ and the hawks win at purdue it would be hard for Rudock to start against Indiana

Because Beathard has demonstrated he can't play well on the road....?

KF loves a game manager and JR fits that mold perfectly and is the reason that JR has won the starter job over CJ these last 2 seasons. KF has a comfort and Loyalty built up with JR at QB and that is hard to replace. Like a kid with a binkie or blankey change is tough.

I bet that KF was going crazy inside, when CJ used those Timeouts.

Last edited:
Not going to hear any current players on the roster come out and say they like Beathard better, but I've seen on Twitter players that have recently transferred or graduated give their opinion...

Don Shumpert @dshump8 · Sep 20

Bethard make plays

LaRon Taylor @8LTaylor · Sep 20

Need to use they recievers more to talented and guess what... Nobody even knows because power I run run run lol

When Cj get in great things happen

Lol iowa offense so basic. I would love to be a DC against them

Cj should been have startin he clearly better

Nico Law @DaNicoLaw · Sep 20

When you have the right players in you get better results.I bet if the fans made a depth chart it would be better than the coaches.#Politics

Nico Law @DaNicoLaw · Sep 20

That's why you got to love CJ folks... Sunshine gets the job done

Marvin McNutt @McNutt7wr · Sep 20

Bethard is the man

Last edited:
I bet that KF was going crazy inside, when CJ used those Timeouts.

I'd have to go back to the film, but I think if you can read lips you'll see B. Ferentz telling CJ "You cannot leave him any timeouts to try and ice the loss...err, kicker. Use those babies up Sunshine!"

Yeah what's the matter with the kid. Not checking down to the 3 yard out patterns on 3rd and 4 will get you benched out Iowa every time.

You have an issue with CJ becoming a more complete QB? I don't, but I find it odd that you would.
The game of football sometimes does come down to moving the chains.

I remember the internet boards were set on fire when GD called a fantastically timed flea-flicker against Directional Michigan that was one step over thrown. Why did the boards melt down? Because the vocal minority thought it was stupid to take a shot like that on third and medium. Just get the first down... Not getting that first down cost us the game....

Once again I find it odd how the vocal minority can find fault in everything.

The smart thing to do is to let CJ start and let Jake heal. Jake shouldn't play unless he is 100%.

It is about playing a healthy QB, IMHO.

Let them both have a half of Sat's game. I'd give Beathard the first half and Rudock the second not that this makes much difference but give Beathard a vote of confidence with a start. Beathard brought this team out of a funk Saturday and helped snatch victory from the jaws of defeat. Sure seemed like the team responded with his entry into the game. Why not make Purdue the test for selecting your starter going forward? It's pressure for both QB's but that's what competition is all about.

If Rudock can't play or is held out Saturday and Beathard has a good day I think you have to go with Beathard going forward.

Who the heck is LaRon Taylor?

A line backer who left either after legal issues or buried on the depth chart. Or both.

I am not sure if you can take the word of two players that couldn't crack the depth chart when it comes to questioning the coaches choice of players.

Also, I am pretty sure McNutt would have swapped in Jake's name had Jake been in and brought us from behind for the third time this season.

Even if Rudock is 90% and can definitely play. Kirk does have a window to start CJ this week without the perception of "giving in to fans". He can come out there and say that "Rudock could play if he had to, but we have 2 good qb's here and we thought we'd allow Jake to heal up." Like Jon said in today's podcast, CJ needs to show he can start a game on the road and play smart for 60 minutes.

Who the heck is LaRon Taylor?

He was a linebacker recruit out of Detroit Cass Tech. Wasn't very highly recruited, a 3 star kid with some potential. Looked like he was buried on the depth chart and transferred during the Summer.

A line backer who left either after legal issues or buried on the depth chart. Or both.

I am not sure if you can take the word of two players that couldn't crack the depth chart when it comes to questioning the coaches choice of players.

Also, I am pretty sure McNutt would have swapped in Jake's name had Jake been in and brought us from behind for the third time this season.

Agreed on all counts.

Players with animosity are going to be players with animosity (or, as the kids say, haters gonna hate).

Nutt.

I'm hoping the players refuse to take the field if Rudock is the starter. Not fair to them that they are playing to win and our coaches aren't.

Latest posts