Rudock - Michigan Thread & Interesting Interview in Michigan Facilities

If this guy ever makes it through med school, and by his inability to handle pressure, I'm guessing he won't, he will be a radiologist in the back office looking at xrays and not in an ER making quick decisions. You can't check down when you are in the middle of open heart surgery...and you sure as hell can't quit the minute the director of the hospital critiques you and tells you that another doctor is doing a better job than you.

Your post reminds me of the TV commercial showing a surgeon having trouble with the 'Operation' game. ;)

I don't recall a time that Iowa players didn't play hard. So, it comes down to talent and the game plan/philosophies we use. And with kfootball stating there, essentially, won't be any changes, I don't know how we can expect anything different than the last few seasons (19-19 .500). Our coach plays to have games come down to the last and then the best executing team wins. Well, that's the equivalent of having the game come down to a coin flip on which team executes better. What are the odds in every coin flip? I just don't understand why our coach doesn't see this.

I guess I just disagree. My personal opinion is we have definitely had lackluster performance and enthusiasm. Maybe disheartened for all kinds of reasons beyond their control. But I can remember the hawks looking beat. Northwestern at home in 2005 0r 6 or such. It is hard to watch because effort has just been such a huge factor in our success and is great to watch. My opinion is there was such a noticeable difference jc to to stanzi. Even with the problems pick six rick had out of the chute.

I know you can see the difference from kf second year and the preceding last couple years of hf and kf first. We weren't winning, but we played so hard it was noticeable.

I guess I am not overly optimistic guys play way above expectations with talent growth or sceming is magically different and instantly successful. I am just looking for some fire and maybe that translates to a win or 2 extra.

I guess I just disagree. My personal opinion is we have definitely had lackluster performance and enthusiasm. Maybe disheartened for all kinds of reasons beyond their control. But I can remember the hawks looking beat. Northwestern at home in 2005 0r 6 or such. It is hard to watch because effort has just been such a huge factor in our success and is great to watch. My opinion is there was such a noticeable difference jc to to stanzi. Even with the problems pick six rick had out of the chute.

I know you can see the difference from kf second year and the preceding last couple years of hf and kf first. We weren't winning, but we played so hard it was noticeable.

I guess I am not overly optimistic guys play way above expectations with talent growth or sceming is magically different and instantly successful. I am just looking for some fire and maybe that translates to a win or 2 extra.

I remember that Indiana game at Kinnick I think in 2009 where Ricky threw four or five picks but he kept throwing it down the field and the team made a huge comeback (with a miracle Sash pick 6 too).

It cannot recall how many times we have won the turnover battle or had very few like 1-2 and lost the game anyway and that's the key metric KF is always harping on. There's something about having an aggressive mindset on both sides of the ball that is huge in the college game.

I believe the 4 win team in 2012 was in the top 10 nationally with turnover margin (+10?) and we know what that season looked like.

I just hope CJ lets it fly pick or not. Play with your hair on fire baby!

I said it once, I said it a million times JR will end up being the starter and Michigan will win 6 or 7 games. JR will look good at times during the year, bottom line I think it works out for everyone(CJ, JR, Michigan and Iowa).

From a QB perspective, JR will simply get better coaching and he will definitely flash here and there. Hopefully, we(Iowa fans) do not lose our mind when it happens.

I think people will be surprised at the number of checkdowns CJB throws this year and next year will be worse. It isn't Iowa qb's who are skiddish it's the KF brainwashing that one interception will cost the entire season for the team. CJB will be better for the offense than Jake was but he will need to have a pretty good year or 2016 will be checkdown time all over again. Compare Vandenburg year one to year two and then do the same with Jake. Most qb's get better in their second year starting but at Iowa it means it's time to harness the qb to do what the coach wants.

Completely agree with this post.

If he's the best they have this year @QB, scUM is in big trouble.

He doesn't have to be great, he only needs to be serviceable. He is a transition QB in a transition year at Michigan. Harbaugh will get the very best out of him. I guarantee play action will be far more effective for him at Michigan than it ever was at Iowa.

I think people will be surprised at the number of checkdowns CJB throws this year and next year will be worse. It isn't Iowa qb's who are skiddish it's the KF brainwashing that one interception will cost the entire season for the team. CJB will be better for the offense than Jake was but he will need to have a pretty good year or 2016 will be checkdown time all over again. Compare Vandenburg year one to year two and then do the same with Jake. Most qb's get better in their second year starting but at Iowa it means it's time to harness the qb to do what the coach wants.

Excellent post. A better comparison would be Stanzi's junior and senior seasons. Statistically he had a better season in 2010, the eyeball test will say he was better in '09. I watched all the games that 2010 season at home but according to many who went to games he really didn't look down field a ton he took the safe route with the checkdown. I would bet the farm the 15 interceptions that Stanzi threw his junior year scared the bejesus out of the coaching staff going into the 2010 season.

I said it once, I said it a million times JR will end up being the starter and Michigan will win 6 or 7 games. JR will look good at times during the year, bottom line I think it works out for everyone(CJ, JR, Michigan and Iowa).

From a QB perspective, JR will simply get better coaching and he will definitely flash here and there. Hopefully, we(Iowa fans) do not lose our mind when it happens.

No one is going to lose their mind.

I would assume most people realize that JR or anyone else for that matter will do better under Harbaugh.

JH has a great history with QBs while Kirks QBs become more efficient statistically but almost always less successful .

My hope is the change from Christianson to Stanzi repeats itself. Team was lackluster when jc was qb. Team was much more energized under Stanzi. Don't now why and seems odd if it has to do with one guy. But that's how I remember it. And stanzi came in and set some kind of never to be beaten record for pick sixes. But the team played with energy and purpose. Hope this is the change this fall.

Stanzi was a born leader. He'd just put the team on his back. I remember his first game where he saw action or started and I believe he either changed the play or didn't manage the clock to KF perfection going into the half or end of game. Anyway, Stanzi ended up getting the team to score a touchdown and I believe he still got reamed out on the sideline for not working the clock or something to that effect. Someone else can clarify if they remember. But, that showed Stanzi had some moxy & wasn't scared to make some calls. He was a true leader and the team responded to him, favorably!

He doesn't have to be great, he only needs to be serviceable. He is a transition QB in a transition year at Michigan. Harbaugh will get the very best out of him. I guarantee play action will be far more effective for him at Michigan than it ever was at Iowa.

Not if he keeps making stupid decisions. Jake Rudock threw some of the worst INTs Ive ever seen. Smart kid, not a very smart QB

Stanzi was a born leader. He'd just put the team on his back. I remember his first game where he saw action or started and I believe he either changed the play or didn't manage the clock to KF perfection going into the half or end of game. Anyway, Stanzi ended up getting the team to score a touchdown and I believe he still got reamed out on the sideline for not working the clock or something to that effect. Someone else can clarify if they remember. But, that showed Stanzi had some moxy & wasn't scared to make some calls. He was a true leader and the team responded to him, favorably!

I think it was the Pitt game in 2008. He changed a play near the end of the 1st half. Not sure if they scored, but it was the situation you described. He was instructed to basically eat the clock, but Stanzi went for 1st downs.

He was benched the reminder of the game, and it cost us the win. We don't lose that game if Stanzi is the one who gets the reps in the 2nd half.

i also agree with the poster above who mentioned that we'll see a different CJB this year. I think he'll still let it fly a little bit, mainly because we have NO BACKUPS capable of stepping in and playing. But if KF is still here for 2016, CJB will become check down charlie because if he doesn't, he will get pulled as the QB's will have more experience.

I think the same applied to Stanzi in 2009, we saw how raw JVB was, so he had more free reign to let it rip.

I do think JVB got the worst of it tho in 2012. Dude threw it around the field when he was confident. then in 2012, we have GDGD trying to mesh with Coach Campbell and the QB and WR had no freaking clue what was going on. But it didn't help the scheme was the worst in college football. I was at the PU game where threw a 1 yard pass for 4th and 2 and allowed them to kick the FG to win.

I hope CJB airs it out this year, cause next year he may not have the option.

Interesting comment about JR's weakness throwing the deep ball, which explains 1) why we didnt go deep much and 2) that he must have had problems with throwing it deep in practice. He seems sort of a stiff, technical type and I thought the comment from lomax that JR didnt like to make mistakes. Yet Brett Favre threw a million picks and had fumbles but he will be in the nfl hall of fame. The real goal is to win games not worry about making mistakes. Sometimes I think KF worries too much about mistakes, not executing etc

WHAT??? Where did you EVER come up with such nonsensical notions?! Talk about something out of left field ... BLASPHEMER!

Not if he keeps making stupid decisions. Jake Rudock threw some of the worst INTs Ive ever seen. Smart kid, not a very smart QB

wow, even worse than pick-6 Stanzi?

ok, Jake had some bad picks in 2013, NIU comes to mind. But in 2014, interceptions was not his problem. His problem was he would not throw downfield.

GK, in my opinion, what we've been seeing is what less talent looks like playing hard. I don't recall much half-azzed play, but the talent level isn't there. We now know what average looks like. Games come down to talent and coaching. And the talent and coaching is 100% the responsibility of the HC.

I think it was the Pitt game in 2008. He changed a play near the end of the 1st half. Not sure if they scored, but it was the situation you described. He was instructed to basically eat the clock, but Stanzi went for 1st downs.

He was benched the reminder of the game, and it cost us the win. We don't lose that game if Stanzi is the one who gets the reps in the 2nd half.

i also agree with the poster above who mentioned that we'll see a different CJB this year. I think he'll still let it fly a little bit, mainly because we have NO BACKUPS capable of stepping in and playing. But if KF is still here for 2016, CJB will become check down charlie because if he doesn't, he will get pulled as the QB's will have more experience.

I think the same applied to Stanzi in 2009, we saw how raw JVB was, so he had more free reign to let it rip.

I do think JVB got the worst of it tho in 2012. Dude threw it around the field when he was confident. then in 2012, we have GDGD trying to mesh with Coach Campbell and the QB and WR had no freaking clue what was going on. But it didn't help the scheme was the worst in college football. I was at the PU game where threw a 1 yard pass for 4th and 2 and allowed them to kick the FG to win.

I hope CJB airs it out this year, cause next year he may not have the option.

I caught a reply of the B1G kickoff and watched Mike Riley kNU. He said that a coach needs to mold the offense around what the players talent are, particularly when going to a new school. Of course, then you start recruiting kids with the talent that fits what the coach wants to do.

I say this because 2012, to me, clearly wasn't this scenario. kfootball tried to force 3 square pegs (JVB, GD and Soup) into a round hole and the season was a disaster because he wouldn't allow a departure of what his philosophy is.

I am not going to argue about the criticisms of JR's abilities/performance. I would agree that much of what has been written has some truth to it. But, I have a somewhat different view of JR's career at Iowa: First, we were not, overall, a very good football team when he was here. Secondly, he had some decent "possession" receivers...only decent and no game breakers. Third, Iowa has not had a good run game the entire time JR was at Iowa. Blame the line or the running backs, I don't care. The result was that opponents could play right on the LOS and not worry about a break away RB or an over the top receiver. Fourth, JR was not playing in the system he was recruited to play in and was, in my view, not a "fit" for Iowa's offense under Davis. Would a more skillful QB have been more successful than JR during this time span? Good luck with trying to figure out that mystery.

I am not going to argue about the criticisms of JR's abilities/performance. I would agree that much of what has been written has some truth to it. But, I have a somewhat different view of JR's career at Iowa: First, we were not, overall, a very good football team when he was here. Secondly, he had some decent "possession" receivers...only decent and no game breakers. Third, Iowa has not had a good run game the entire time JR was at Iowa. Blame the line or the running backs, I don't care. The result was that opponents could play right on the LOS and not worry about a break away RB or an over the top receiver. Fourth, JR was not playing in the system he was recruited to play in and was, in my view, not a "fit" for Iowa's offense under Davis. Would a more skillful QB have been more successful than JR during this time span? Good luck with trying to figure out that mystery.

Nice post. Correct, when the team does not have a run game, it's devastating. They didn't have to respect the run as much as in the past secondary to 3 yrs of ramming a FB up the middle. Add to that, that Ferentz and his game plan is predictable and that's a recipe for a disaster. How many times have we heard other players or coaches on TV stating "We know who Iowa is and what they are going to do". Ferentz's philosophy has always been to simplify the systems and to be more physical and outperform the opponents. Unfortunately, in the past several years, the talent has gone down and they have not been able to bully the opponents and outperform them. Teams now have Iowa's and Ferentz number.

Jake gave me some great memories when he played like a rock star at Nebraska two years ago. Enjoyed being there and watching the Fuskers leaving the game early in droves. Wishing the young man good luck at Michigan and thanks for being a Hawk.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying to some extent, but it's really a combination of things. Yes our running game struggled, partially because we had a fullback playing running back, but partially because it was easy to stack the box against us (see the ISU game from last year). Iowa DID send receivers down field, and JR, for whatever reason was not comfortable letting it go. Maybe it was a lack of confidence in his arm, or maybe it was the fear of making mistakes (I always believed JVB had this issue his Sr. year). Whatever it was, Jake chose to check down even when there was a window for him not to. The games he had the most success, like the 2nd half of Wisconsin for example, he just seemed to let it rip and he looked good (though arm strength was a bit of an issue). When CJB was in the game, the defense played a little differently. Especially the Pitt game. The corners respected the deep ball more, and the run game was opened up. A lot went right that half and it wasn't all because of CJ, but he deserves some of the credit. I just hope the coaching staff lets him play a little more freely; don't have him out there thinking so much and afraid to make mistakes. I'm afraid I may be dreaming with that request.

Latest posts