Rudock - Michigan Thread & Interesting Interview in Michigan Facilities

My 1.5 old nephew has a better arm than him...

I tell you my sofa has a better arm than Jake! I quit worrying about Jake the day he quit on our Hawks. CJ has got his chance now and hopefully he will take charge of this team and be a leader on the field.

I think people will be surprised at the number of checkdowns CJB throws this year and next year will be worse. It isn't Iowa qb's who are skiddish it's the KF brainwashing that one interception will cost the entire season for the team.

I don't think so. Sunshine showed a tendency to "push it" beyond KF's comfort zone even while still competing for the starting spot. He's a gunslinger. I think it's more likely we'll see some crazy INT's, at least a couple of which may lose games for us, balanced by some insane completions that help us win.

wow, even worse than pick-6 Stanzi?

ok, Jake had some bad picks in 2013, NIU comes to mind. But in 2014, interceptions was not his problem. His problem was he would not throw downfield.

Jake was a solid QB and his picks were down in 2014. Some of that was a result of being drilled with KF mantra on not making mistakes which results in check down city. Of the picks he threw, several were big momentum changers/costly; Maryland pick 6, ISU second half pick leading to score to get them back in the game and first half red zone pick against Nebby. He's gone and I am looking forward to a wild ride with CJ. Let if fly young man!

I am not going to argue about the criticisms of JR's abilities/performance. I would agree that much of what has been written has some truth to it. But, I have a somewhat different view of JR's career at Iowa: First, we were not, overall, a very good football team when he was here. Secondly, he had some decent "possession" receivers...only decent and no game breakers. Third, Iowa has not had a good run game the entire time JR was at Iowa. Blame the line or the running backs, I don't care. The result was that opponents could play right on the LOS and not worry about a break away RB or an over the top receiver. Fourth, JR was not playing in the system he was recruited to play in and was, in my view, not a "fit" for Iowa's offense under Davis. Would a more skillful QB have been more successful than JR during this time span? Good luck with trying to figure out that mystery.

Huck, I disagree re: WR's. They didn't always get to play (Powell/Willies) but we had game breakers (Smith/Powell/Willies) but JR didn't take his opportunities down field when he had them. The running game wasn't his fault, in so much as, he didn't choose who played, but he could have helped by throwing down field.

I don't think so. Sunshine showed a tendency to "push it" beyond KF's comfort zone even while still competing for the starting spot. He's a gunslinger. I think it's more likely we'll see some crazy INT's, at least a couple of which may lose games for us, balanced by some insane completions that help us win.

I am with docholihawk on this. At some point I feel CJB will get "neutered" . Week 6, bowl game, 2016, somewhere along the road CJB will become 2010 Stanzi. CJB and his father played their hand pretty well last December. Let me ask you this: Did CJB lose the leverage of public scrutiny and/or public pressure on Ferentz? If so, he will definitely conform.....If not, I think he plays freely, he plays "reckless".

I am with docholihawk on this. At some point I feel CJB will get "neutered" . Week 6, bowl game, 2016, somewhere along the road CJB will become 2010 Stanzi. CJB and his father played their hand pretty well last December. Let me ask you this: Did CJB lose the leverage of public scrutiny and/or public pressure on Ferentz? If so, he will definitely conform.....If not, I think he plays freely, he plays "reckless".

Let's put it this way: the only leverage he has left is, "If I don't get my way and call the whole game plan, I'm transferring!" Only the lunatic semi-fringers on this board will support him then, but trust me, there are a frightening number of them.

If he loses the starting job, it means he sucks or the back-up is a Heisman candidate...

I am not going to argue about the criticisms of JR's abilities/performance. I would agree that much of what has been written has some truth to it. But, I have a somewhat different view of JR's career at Iowa: First, we were not, overall, a very good football team when he was here. Secondly, he had some decent "possession" receivers...only decent and no game breakers. Third, Iowa has not had a good run game the entire time JR was at Iowa. Blame the line or the running backs, I don't care. The result was that opponents could play right on the LOS and not worry about a break away RB or an over the top receiver. Fourth, JR was not playing in the system he was recruited to play in and was, in my view, not a "fit" for Iowa's offense under Davis. Would a more skillful QB have been more successful than JR during this time span? Good luck with trying to figure out that mystery.

Some fair points. But JR was the difference between 7-5 and 9-3 (see ISU and Nebraska).

His reluctance to go downfield may be in part, due to coaching. But it's certainly also do in part to what we all watched for the last two years. Passes routinely thrown late, behind and short of receivers.

Ultimately comes back to Kirk (play not to lose) Ferentz.

Latest posts