Rudock - Michigan Thread & Interesting Interview in Michigan Facilities

MelroseHawkins

Michigan fans impressed with him. Some sound to be warming to him and find him articulate. The thread contains a 5 min interview during a Michigan QB camp. Jake looks to be quite at peace and smiling again. I hope he gets the nod & does well there. I did notice him seem to swallow a bit hard when told of Shane Morris's comment that he thinks he's the starter and it's his job to lose. He seemed to take a couple hard swallows than answered the question appropriately.

http://www.scout.com/college/michigan/forums/2019-stadium-and-main/13936216-ruddock

If this guy ever makes it through med school, and by his inability to handle pressure, I'm guessing he won't, he will be a radiologist in the back office looking at xrays and not in an ER making quick decisions. You can't check down when you are in the middle of open heart surgery...and you sure as hell can't quit the minute the director of the hospital critiques you and tells you that another doctor is doing a better job than you.

If this guy ever makes it through med school, and by his inability to handle pressure, I'm guessing he won't, he will be a radiologist in the back office looking at xrays and not in an ER making quick decisions. You can't check down when you are in the middle of open heart surgery...and you sure as hell can't quit the minute the director of the hospital critiques you and tells you that another doctor is doing a better job than you.

You obviously don't know much about radiologist or should I say what one needs to be one. They make some of the best $$ for physician specialties.

Found this article of current Hawks at the B1G kickoff in Chi-town being asked about JR. See Jordan Lomax's comments.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/c...2015/07/31/big-ten-iowa-jake-rudock/30920831/

Interesting comment about JR's weakness throwing the deep ball, which explains 1) why we didnt go deep much and 2) that he must have had problems with throwing it deep in practice. He seems sort of a stiff, technical type and I thought the comment from lomax that JR didnt like to make mistakes. Yet Brett Favre threw a million picks and had fumbles but he will be in the nfl hall of fame. The real goal is to win games not worry about making mistakes. Sometimes I think KF worries too much about mistakes, not executing etc

Wish him the best and predict he will have a better year than CJB this year. His play this year will shine a bright light on what a difference coaching and schemes make to a QB, not to mention an upgrade of the talent around the QB. That being said, I am glad that CJB is the starting QB at Iowa this year.

Rudock can't throw deep, stop the presses. Anyone who's watched IOWA football the last two years knows that. Nearly all of his passes of more than 5 yards are thrown late and short... even the completions.

... Yet Brett Favre threw a million picks and had fumbles but he will be in the nfl hall of fame. The real goal is to win games not worry about making mistakes. Sometimes I think KF worries too much about mistakes, not executing etc
It takes a championship calibre defense to "not worry about making mistakes." - See 2009 Hawkeyes as an example. That squad put out plenty of fires which allowed Stanzi to not feel the repercussions of some of his errors. He took risks knowing Norm's firemen would extinguish the flames. 2010 is an example of coaching worrying to much about mistakes. Sanzi's numbers looked much improved but the team's record didn't reflect it. A lot of people are worrying about the O line this year, me - not so much as history is on our side. I worry that the defense, as a whole, won't be able to mitigate mistakes CJ will likely make. CJ needs to be in the place where he is confident that the defense can take care of business.

I think people will be surprised at the number of checkdowns CJB throws this year and next year will be worse. It isn't Iowa qb's who are skiddish it's the KF brainwashing that one interception will cost the entire season for the team. CJB will be better for the offense than Jake was but he will need to have a pretty good year or 2016 will be checkdown time all over again. Compare Vandenburg year one to year two and then do the same with Jake. Most qb's get better in their second year starting but at Iowa it means it's time to harness the qb to do what the coach wants.

Rudock can't throw deep, stop the presses. Anyone who's watched IOWA football the last two years knows that. Nearly all of his passes of more than 5 yards are thrown late and short... even the completions.

Right, but it furthers the perception that kfootball will play less talented players that "play his way" than more talented players that take risks. As things unfold, it is becoming clear than many fan perceptions are actually correct observations and no one is wearing a tin foil hat.

It takes a championship calibre defense to "not worry about making mistakes." - See 2009 Hawkeyes as an example. That squad put out plenty of fires which allowed Stanzi to not feel the repercussions of some of his errors. He took risks knowing Norm's firemen would extinguish the flames. 2010 is an example of coaching worrying to much about mistakes. Sanzi's numbers looked much improved but the team's record didn't reflect it. A lot of people are worrying about the O line this year, me - not so much as history is on our side. I worry that the defense, as a whole, won't be able to mitigate mistakes CJ will likely make. CJ needs to be in the place where he is confident that the defense can take care of business.

These two really do go hand in hand. Each needs to pick the other up. What we see, often and by design, is an offense that does NOT pick up the defense. We have become too one-sided, in this regard, in my opinion.

My hope is the change from Christianson to Stanzi repeats itself. Team was lackluster when jc was qb. Team was much more energized under Stanzi. Don't now why and seems odd if it has to do with one guy. But that's how I remember it. And stanzi came in and set some kind of never to be beaten record for pick sixes. But the team played with energy and purpose. Hope this is the change this fall.

Last edited:
My hope is the change from Christianson to Stanzi repeats itself. Team was lackluster when jc was qb. Team was much more energized under Stanzi. Don't now why and seems odd if it has to do with one guy. But that's how I remember it. And stanzi came in and set some kind of never to be beaten record for pick sixes. But the team played with energy and purpose. Hope this is the change this fall.

Could be. But Jake was much better than Christiansen. He was a disaster.

I don't recall a time that Iowa players didn't play hard. So, it comes down to talent and the game plan/philosophies we use. And with kfootball stating there, essentially, won't be any changes, I don't know how we can expect anything different than the last few seasons (19-19 .500). Our coach plays to have games come down to the last and then the best executing team wins. Well, that's the equivalent of having the game come down to a coin flip on which team executes better. What are the odds in every coin flip? I just don't understand why our coach doesn't see this.

Latest posts