Rudock and Leshun Daniels bits

Agreed. RBs get hurt, in games and in practice, far too often for a RS to be worth it for a guy who has any potential of contributing as a true frosh.

I may be wrong here, but can't you redshirt a player to start off the season and then play them if everyone else were to get hurt? You would lose the extra year of eligibility, but you could still do it if you needed/wanted to. So if you don't think a freshmen is going to play or see the field much, if at all, why wouldn't you redshirt him? Or am I misunderstanding the rules and the way it works?

I don't think the QB race is settled just yet for the long term. In 2007, JC beat out Stanzi. By the start of 2008, Stanzi had caught him, passed him 4 games into that season. Had JC stayed for his SR year in 2009, JVB may have even passed him for #2 because JVB actually showed the ability to complete a pass more than 5 yards downfield.

Hope CJB & CS keep pushing JR.
well - in those days - jc was a 4*, and had some time playing (not that much success - but time) so i can only assume that jc (as a son of an nfl guy - recruited to play qb would only come to iowa if he had a great chance to star). rs was a bit not polished and not that many reps the prior season. umm - not sure where a race existed ...

I think this could be similar to what's happening now, although perhaps Rudock will perform better than Christensen. I'd be okay if it ended up being a QB battle between two good QB's. That's way better than trying to find a guy competent.

I do expect Rudock to perform better than Christensen. Rudock appears to be an accurate passer which already puts him well out of Jake's league.

well - in those days - jc was a 4*, and had some time playing (not that much success - but time) so i can only assume that jc (as a son of an nfl guy - recruited to play qb would only come to iowa if he had a great chance to star). rs was a bit not polished and not that many reps the prior season. umm - not sure where a race existed ...

Your point is irrelevant to this particular discussion (although I agree with you on the "race" in 2007). The point is that Stanzi developed to the point where he beat out Christensen down the road, and people now wonder if Beathard may do the same with Rudock.

I may be wrong here, but can't you redshirt a player to start off the season and then play them if everyone else were to get hurt? You would lose the extra year of eligibility, but you could still do it if you needed/wanted to. So if you don't think a freshmen is going to play or see the field much, if at all, why wouldn't you redshirt him? Or am I misunderstanding the rules and the way it works?

I'm going to need to check with HawkFaninTX about exact redshirt rules, but you're right. The coaches are absolutely able to plan to redshirt a guy and then "pull his shirt" whenever they want. This is what happened with Coker in 2010 after Hampton got hurt.

I'm going to need to check with HawkFaninTX about exact redshirt rules, but you're right. The coaches are absolutely able to plan to redshirt a guy and then "pull his shirt" whenever they want. This is what happened with Coker in 2010 after Hampton got hurt.

We were prepared to do the same thing with Rogers in 2009, too.

We were prepared to do the same thing with Rogers in 2009, too.

Rogers is a great example of what I mean when I say that RBs shouldn't redshirt if they are able to bring anything to the table. He could have brought something to the table in '09, but instead the coaches redshirted him. It turns out that 4 years later, he has to retire and can't play his senior year. Iowa never (well, rarely, but you know what I mean) has RBs play 4 consecutive years, so I don't think it does much to have a healthy RB redshirt.

Your point is irrelevant to this particular discussion (although I agree with you on the "race" in 2007). The point is that Stanzi developed to the point where he beat out Christensen down the road, and people now wonder if Beathard may do the same with Rudock.

it was not relevant to the discussion at hand - but the dude presented it - and i responded. that is all.

Kirk. i don't give a damn what position it is...where the kid is from...what his name is... or what year he is. PLAY THE MOST TALENTED PLAYERS!!! Let them make a mistake or two. They sure as hell won't learn sitting on the bench.

PLAY TO WIN! Not to manage risk.

Rogers is a great example of what I mean when I say that RBs shouldn't redshirt if they are able to bring anything to the table. He could have brought something to the table in '09, but instead the coaches redshirted him. It turns out that 4 years later, he has to retire and can't play his senior year. Iowa never (well, rarely, but you know what I mean) has RBs play 4 consecutive years, so I don't think it does much to have a healthy RB redshirt.

We didn't lose a single game in 2009 that was the direct result of Rogers not playing (or even of some kind of running game failure, in general). Maybe he could have made us slightly better, but not in a way that improved the end results. That should be the way you evaluate whether a guy should play or not: Does he change what you feel the end result will be, or not? If not, then it's probably not worth burning the redshirt.

Kirk. i don't give a damn what position it is...where the kid is from...what his name is... or what year he is. PLAY THE MOST TALENTED PLAYERS!!! Let them make a mistake or two. They sure as hell won't learn sitting on the bench.

PLAY TO WIN! Not to manage risk.

Nominating this as post of the year. Reminds me of the Hayden Fry attitude. Go HAWKS!

LOL. One of my favorite fan criticisms through the years....as if the best players who give Iowa a chance to win are not seeing the field.

LOL. One of my favorite fan criticisms through the years....as if the best players who give Iowa a chance to win are not seeing the field.

You really think that coaches get it right 100% of the time? I think its pretty clear that Kirk always goes with the "safe" choice when deciding who plays. There is no way that the safe choice is the right one every single time.

You really think that coaches get it right 100% of the time? I think its pretty clear that Kirk always goes with the "safe" choice when deciding who plays. There is no way that the safe choice is the right one every single time.

i think in many instances a good coach can put more than 1 player out there (alternately). i think adam shada should have been relieved by brad fletcher more than once in the course of a game. and RB - in total should be more of a chance for guys to shine on a rotating basis (not the run the 1 guy into the ground system that seems to have followed since greene). OL and DL - it must be that way of rotating players - but i think iowa i slow to do that. perhaps no confidence in the depth of the team by the coach?

I actually like some of the moves I heard that kf is doing this fall. But you are right. He does not always have the best players on the field. I mean, no coach does 100% of the time like you said, but there are several examples that are very evident where he does not have the best players out there. I think and hope that changes this year. Him not red shirting Daniels speaks volumes to me.

FreedComanche

Even if he's tackled on that second attempt, though, he still picked up an extra 5-7 yards with a couple nifty moves.

Latest posts