Roy Marble destroying the competition

When the alleged rumor started the other day about one of the recruits wanting out, I assumed it may have been Marble, since I am speculating that he may have been the weakest of the four recruits on paper at least. Can we assume that this reporter would have caught on to the fact that Marble Jr. was thinking about not atteding Iowa when writing this article??? I am assuming he is good to go as far as Iowa is concerned???

I am glad to see him doing well and am excited to see him in an Iowa uniform next year!!!

Nice to see. Maybe because of his dad, but I'm looking forward to Devyn's arrival more than I am to the other three.

Nice to see. Maybe because of his dad, but I'm looking forward to Devyn's arrival more than I am to the other three.

Ditto. From the time he signed his LOI, Marble is the one recruit in this class that I can't wait to see step onto the court in Iowa City. I will be honest and tell you why- His father...

All 4 of the 2010 recruits are kicking some *** this year. They all seem to be playing with a sense of urgency and toughness that will really help the Hawks moving forward. I look for next year to be a vast improvement from this year but 2011-2012 to be the year when the Hawks get back into the top half of the Big Ten! I think the Iowa fans need to have some vision and support the players through this difficult process of rebuilding a program.

This reminds me of the bi-weekly updates we got on how A. Tucker was blowing up the competition in Minn.

High School stats are just that. They don't mean a damned thing.

Ghost is correct...high school stats are like the summer league. People get all excited watching the kids play in these leagues and expect more from the kids than the kids can deliver. At least wait until they get into college and play college competetion before you label them program saviors. Again, they will be freshmen and like the freshmen this year they may show some promise but overall will have a lot of problems with their game. Plus, people again get to use the 'young' excuse for Iowa BB if the team doesn't do well, which Iowa will not.

Plus, don't forget they have to adapt to Lickliter's 'system,' which will take a good year to learn (unlike other 'systems') because it is so difficult and so different from anything they have ever played. They have to relearn everything they have ever done with BB because they no longer get to run fastbreaks and uptempo BB for example. They now will have to learn the game of Lickliter 30-second keepaway BB and apparently that is not easy to learn.

He attacks the basket ( and finishes )? And he is going to do what in this "system"? Lets chuck TL and get a coach that can utilize talent like this.

Ghost is correct...high school stats are like the summer league. People get all excited watching the kids play in these leagues and expect more from the kids than the kids can deliver. At least wait until they get into college and play college competetion before you label them program saviors. Again, they will be freshmen and like the freshmen this year they may show some promise but overall will have a lot of problems with their game. Plus, people again get to use the 'young' excuse for Iowa BB if the team doesn't do well, which Iowa will not.

Plus, don't forget they have to adapt to Lickliter's 'system,' which will take a good year to learn (unlike other 'systems') because it is so difficult and so different from anything they have ever played. They have to relearn everything they have ever done with BB because they no longer get to run fastbreaks and uptempo BB for example. They now will have to learn the game of Lickliter 30-second keepaway BB and apparently that is not easy to learn.

It's not that your posts are negative, it's that they so often display either an aversion to telling the truth or a stagering degree of ignorance. This team gets to run the break each and every time they play solid defence and secure the defensive rebound in good position. The problem is we don't do that consistently. Further more Licks defensive rely on guards to do thier share of the rebounding, meaning a lenghty player with ball handling skills, mmmm lets say a 6-6 point forward recruit, can secure a board and push the ball himself with the option of finishing himself or kicking to a player behind the arc.

You don't like Lick, we get it. But I don't think it's to much to ask that you be reasonably truthful.

From all accounts this incoming class consists of 2 nice point forward types, 1 nice ball handling post, and 1 nice combo guard (I used the descriptive word nice so as not to get into an overrated / underrated pi$$ing match- you can view them however you wish).

I can't see what there would possibly be to complain about with this class. I think TL brought in a nice class this year and by all accounts next years class should be a little better.

We only lose 1 senior and he is not one that most here would consider a crushing blow. At very least we will return more experience and bring in more depth. For those who want to blindly bash - next year is the prove it year. For those who blindly support - next year is the put up or shut up year.

Nothing too hard about it and certainly no reason what so ever to be negative about incoming recruits.

Last edited:
Yeah, HS school stats are dumb. Let's recruit the guys averaging 5 and 2 in the prep ranks. Their def D1 material.

Its one thing to overblow stats, but its another to completely ignore them.

If you don't want update on our incoming class, don't freakin read 'em then. However, there are plenty of people who like updates on how the signees are playing.

Yeah, HS school stats are dumb. Let's recruit the guys averaging 5 and 2 in the prep ranks. Their def D1 material.

If you don't want update on our incoming class, don't freakin read 'em then. However, there are plenty of people who like updates on how the signees are playing.
Agreed, stormin'. But then, what would they complain about except the system, the young excuse, the future, etc.. Don't worry about the complainers. Some of us like to support the team, hope it will get better, and talk to other folks who do the same. Thanks for the updates as always.

Keep the updates coming Stormin, as many of us appreciate them. If we signed 4 guys who were averaging 14 points, 5 rebounds, and 1 assist a game, the same posters would be quoting stats all over the place, to point out how awful Licks recruits were. What is wrong about getting excited about a recruit of ours putting up big numbers? I mean on any college team board, fans usually gets pumped when the signed recruits they have coming in are putting up good numbers. Not on this board, not in BB anyway. It is like I am in Bizzaro world or something, I just don't get it.

Who complained about getting info on recruits? Some of us only wonder, given the coaches results so far, if he can coach them into winning ( or coach them and retain them ).

I understand your reaction, but he's pretty much right about the fast break position. There are many times other teams would attack on seeming fast break opportunities where we pull it back. It's got to be something the coaches empahsize. I wish I were wrong but I've sat through too many plays when people behind me at the games (non-season ticket holders) scream about the lack of attempts to complete fast breaks instead of pulling the ball out to think it isn't what the coaches want.

Latest posts