Frontcourt
Jarryd Cole - 6’7†Senior
Devon Archie - 6’9†Junior
Andrew Brommer - 6’9†Junior
Brennan Cougill - 6’9†Sophomore
Zach McCabe - 6’7†Freshman
Melsahn Basabe - 6’7†Freshman
Darius Stokes- 6'8" Freshman- Walk On

You know the more I look at him, the more Stokes looks like a football type recruit. WAIT. I don't mean he should play football. I mean he looks like the kind of kid you get into camp because you might be able to develop him physically.

He looks like my 14 year old son who has grown about 6 inches in the last year. He might just need some time to fill out and get over the gangliness.

Sometimes I wish the scholarship situation in BBALL would allow for a little more physical player development.

A look at the available scholarships for future recruiting classes:

Class of 2011
Graduating=Cole
Open Scholarships=2
Total scholarships for 2011 recruiting class=3

Class of 2012
Graduating= Gatens, Archie, Brommer, Cartwright
Total scholarships for 2012 class=4

Class of 2013
Graduating= Payne, May, Cougill
Total scholarships for the 2013 recruiting class=3

Class of 2014
Graduating= Marble, McCabe, Basabe
Total Scholarships for 2014 recruiting class=3

Overall it's a nice balance for each class with 2012 being a big year in the state of Iowa.

Obviously some players could transfer out and create some more available scholarships but at least on the surface Fran has a plan and it's in motion.

Class of 2011
Graduating=Cole
Open Scholarships=2

Class of 2012

Class of 2013

Class of 2014

Overall it's a nice balance for each class with 2012 being a big year in the state of Iowa.

Obviously some players could transfer out and create some more available scholarships but at least on the surface Fran has a plan and it's in motion.

It is obvious that Fran and staff are bringing in more athletic players to fit their style. I wonder how many other current players will transfer to open up some scholarships. It will be interesting to see if Archie,Brommer, Cougill, and McCabe will fit into Fran's style or go somewhere else?

Has anyone ever seen Archie play?

The roster definately looks better with another PG on scholarship. Iowa may or may not win anymore games next year but at least they will be fun to watch.

I think that roster is definitely better than last year once Tucker left the team. It is deeper and more experienced at every position except the 4. We should be able to play through an injury better. I think now this team can be competitive in most games, probably won't win more than 14-15 because we will have stretches it will be difficult to score. However, I hope it becomes fun again for these guys.

Saw JC films and in PTL. People talk about him being athletic, but you just didn't see that. Kind of a less athletic and radically less skilled Glen Worley. Also, doesn't necessarily look all that concerned on the court. Basically, makes you wonder if there is a switch there to turn on. He is long and somewhat fluid. However, he has not shown an understanding of how to move without the ball, or a willingness to fight for position. Has not shown the ability to take a guy off the dribble, nor a shooting touch.

Basically he would have to have improved, which includes a total change of mindset, more than any Hawkeye in recent memory to be a factor this year. Not saying it can't happen, but still a seeming longshot.

One more thing. No sight of him in pictures at FM's first meeting with the team. Not hearing much about him since. Could be PTL draft might provide some insight.

It is obvious that Fran and staff are bringing in more athletic players to fit their style. I wonder how many other current players will transfer to open up some scholarships. It will be interesting to see if Archie,Brommer, Cougill, and McCabe will fit into Fran's style or go somewhere else?

I think Brommer and McCabe will be fine in Fran's new system, cougil may need to get in better shape, archie we will have to wait and see what he does.

Saw JC films and in PTL. People talk about him being athletic, but you just didn't see that. Kind of a less athletic and radically less skilled Glen Worley. Also, doesn't necessarily look all that concerned on the court. Basically, makes you wonder if there is a switch there to turn on. He is long and somewhat fluid. However, he has not shown an understanding of how to move without the ball, or a willingness to fight for position. Has not shown the ability to take a guy off the dribble, nor a shooting touch.

Basically he would have to have improved, which includes a total change of mindset, more than any Hawkeye in recent memory to be a factor this year. Not saying it can't happen, but still a seeming longshot.

One more thing. No sight of him in pictures at FM's first meeting with the team. Not hearing much about him since. Could be PTL draft might provide some insight.

Great. Think Glen Worley but radically less skilled and less athletic. Ooops, wrong thread.

whats the "don't dismiss the like a less athletic and radically less skilled glen worley talk" thread about?

Think Glen Worley, but with a lot less traveling violations.

I saw Archie practice a few times last season. He seemed raw, but he ran the floor exceptionally well(Iowa's tempo in practice was probably three times quicker than in games). I said once Fran was hired that it was possible Archie could be the biggest beneficiary of the coaching change. Not because of his overall talent, because that is marginal. But because I think he could be useful in an up and down system. Kind of like a Kurt Looby, he may have the ability to get some garbage baskets and provide some interior defense.
His footwork needs to improve quite a bit. And I wouldn't expect tons of minutes from him. But perhaps this staff can develop him into a servicable player. I just wouldn't give up on the kid yet.

Last edited:
+1 just like the new coach, lets see him on the floor. If the coach thinks he can play he'll make it to the floor. he had to have some good practices against fuller and cole last year (good big ten players) so we'll see if it paid off. I've gotta see him before i right him off. Hey Worley was a pretty good player!! If he's as good as he was I'll be happy.

The roster definately looks better with another PG on scholarship. Iowa may or may not win anymore games next year but at least they will be fun to watch.

I agree, if they aren't going to win anymore games then they did last year it might not be better but will be more fun watching a 90 to 80 game than a 50 to 40 game.

Class of 2011
Graduating=Cole
Open Scholarships=2

Class of 2012

Class of 2013

Class of 2014

There seems to be a definate method to Fran's moves. I like what I see so far.

Although, I have heard the rumor, and I stress rumor, that McCarty might not be coming because of Cartwright...Supposedly cause they told him they were not going after another point guard and he could earn the back-up role.

Although, I have heard the rumor, and I stress rumor, that McCarty might not be coming because of Cartwright...Supposedly cause they told him they were not going after another point guard and he could earn the back-up role.

He would be making a HUGE mistake if this is true. If he is as good as he thinks he is then Iowa signing Cartwright should not change anything as he will still get a chance to compete for that backup role. He needs to come in and show the coaches what he's got and prove he deserves to play. Iowa presents his only opportunity for him to have a chance to play in the Big Ten.

Probably some miscommunication. Maybe McCarty thought Fran said no other PG, but maybe Fran was talking about no other PG in his class. Who knows? Hopefully he's smart enough to walk-on and make a possible impact.

Latest posts