Rob’s Agenda

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I sat down and had a beer and one hour discussion with Rob we would probably disagree on about 70% of things outside of sports. That's OK ... we can probably both learn from each other. Yes, Rob probably does have an agenda but asking a leader to respond to tough issues is a feather in his cap in my opinion as long as he keeps it fair, which I think he did in this case. Having said that, as others have said here recently, there have been lots of posts on HN over the years that are borderline racist that have not been called out. I called one out a just a few weeks ago from an HN poster related to a slow "white boy" WR recruit that had committed. I'll leave it at that.

You guys can unload on me. Let me have it.

I'm doing the best I can at doing my job. Am I perfect? No. Have I Tweeted or ReTweeted everything? I'm sure I haven't. It's hard to see everything, like on here.

As I said yesterday, this story sucks. If you think I'm enjoying myself, you're mistaken.

Is anyone else curious why Rob didn’t report on anything that KF said during the press conference but continued retweeting players comments? I’ve really enjoyed Rob’s podcasts with players and his insight but I found it suspicious that he continues to only share players stories and not report both sides of the story. I know how important it is to ‘stay woke’ in today’s climate but I have to question whether there’s an agenda at this point.
Were you sent here from Hawkeye Report dot com as an undercover agent?

Lol, I don’t get it. We’re on the same team here. I personally don’t care for Kakert, I really like Miller and Howe, I was just disappointed in the way this topic was covered.
I do appreciate Howe’s response in this thread.

Rob wants to get clicks. Period. Look at his Twitter feed and responses, when someone disagrees with him he gets all pissy and blocks them. With this he's just going to go with the flow and not create waves.
Get chicks? I thought Rob was married. Why in the world would he want to get chicks?

Oh, wait a minute. You said clicks. OK, got it.

P.S. Just read page two of this thread. Bobby Heenan beat me to it. :)

Last edited:
Asking questions about an incident 12 years ago using the word "ghetto" is ridiculous. Gaslighting. If it was the N word and he says I don't recall....yea, you'd "recall." He who hath no sin cast the first stone. Ridiculous and irresponsible. It is absolutely necessary to continually review and change to grow the right way as individuals and companies or universities. Throwing gas on this is ridiculous. The players that said it aren't trying to ruin UIowa football. Why are you? I'll use the "R" word from here on out when remembering how media handled this incident. Ridiculous.

Son of a bitch. For years...years...posters on this board and other Hawkeye message boards have taken Rob and other sports writers to task for softball questions, not attempting to hold head coaches accountable, and basically being errand boys who just spoon feed the AD's messaging to the public.

When this issue surfaced Rob openly stated that if the allegations were true, he felt culpable for missing the sign posts and not asking the hard questions. So he is. He's doing the thing that people have claimed for a long time wasn't being done by ANY writer covering Iowa athletics.

And he still gets burned at the stake. Talk about a rock and hard place.

None of you has any f'ing idea what kind work Rob has been doing. You have no f'ing idea what kind research he has underway, who he has and hasn't talked to, whether he sought white player feedback, which staff members he's been in contact with, or what stories he's writing. So you sure as hell have no basis on which to judge the fairness of his coverage.

Until this afternoon only ONE side of the story was public and Rob covered that one side. Real journalism takes time. Give the man a chance to work for f*#k sake.

Now, Rob, don't let me down. ;)
I’ve ripped Iowa sports reporters, including Rob and previously Jon, for asking softball questions, not addressing real issues and generally being acolytes for Hawkeye sports. But I now applaud Rob for asking these questions and ask that he continue doing so.

This is going to get ugly before it gets better.

Robs agenda is obvious . No intent to be malicious, just comes off as snarky. While I’ve agreed on a few of the comments pushing the borderline of racist comments, I think the REAL RACISTS are those who find RACISM when it isn’t present. Hint hint. Go listen to the washed up walk ons podcast. Those three white dudes got shit from Doyle all the time and it sounds like they laugh about it now. I believe the way this is being reported could have played a part in the vandalism to Kinnick and the statue.

I think Rob's covering of this is spot on. Their aren't two sides to this... that's the point. This isn't about instances of racism this is about systemic racism. Not just in the Iowa locker room in the country. If you see someone say black lives matter and respond with all lives matter, you not only don't get it, you are part of the problem.

If you think the struggles and challenges you've endured in your life time invalidate someone else's need to share theirs in hope of change you are part of the problem.

If you are more concerned that KF get equal time on an internet message board when he's got espn and every news outlet in the state of Iowa at his disposal you are part of the problem.

if you care more about the teams win loss record than if the players on that team feel like they actually belong and are accepted in the building they go to every day you are part of the problem.

I think Rob's covering of this is spot on. Their aren't two sides to this... that's the point. This isn't about instances of racism this is about systemic racism. Not just in the Iowa locker room in the country. If you see someone say black lives matter and respond with all lives matter, you not only don't get it, you are part of the problem.

If you think the struggles and challenges you've endured in your life time invalidate someone else's need to share theirs in hope of change you are part of the problem.

If you are more concerned that KF get equal time on an internet message board when he's got espn and every news outlet in the state of Iowa at his disposal you are part of the problem.

if you care more about the teams win loss record than if the players on that team feel like they actually belong and are accepted in the building they go to every day you are part of the problem.
So you are saying that only black lives matter and the rest of us don’t matter at all. So it’s okay that whites and Latinos can be killed and nobody gives a shit! ALL lives matter! Black people have been systematically racially biased against. So have Latinos. Black people are racists too! They are racists against some of their own people because of the darkness or lightness of their skin. So they are also a part of the problem. You don’t think a black cop cares about your skin color? They abuse blacks the worst because they want to be seen in a good light among their LEO peers. But they would just love to be able to be in a position that gives them the right to show white who is the boss. Racism is is a two way street and you can’t tell me any different because I have seen it for myself. There are a lot of good people out there that white, black, Latino, Asian, Jewish, Arab as well as a lot of races. And every race of people have their pieces of shit people out there too. I take each individual and base how I feel about them based on their character. When my wife passed away, it was my next door black neighbors that came to me and gave me a hug and cried with me before anyone else offered condolences. I have nothing but love and respect for them til this day and would anything in my power to defend them. All lives matter! I get it, I’ve lived it!

So you are saying that only black lives matter and the rest of us don’t matter at all. So it’s okay that whites and Latinos can be killed and nobody gives a shit! ALL lives matter! Black people have been systematically racially biased against. So have Latinos. Black people are racists too! They are racists against some of their own people because of the darkness or lightness of their skin. So they are also a part of the problem. You don’t think a black cop cares about your skin color? They abuse blacks the worst because they want to be seen in a good light among their LEO peers. But they would just love to be able to be in a position that gives them the right to show white who is the boss. Racism is is a two way street and you can’t tell me any different because I have seen it for myself. There are a lot of good people out there that white, black, Latino, Asian, Jewish, Arab as well as a lot of races. And every race of people have their pieces of shit people out there too. I take each individual and base how I feel about them based on their character. When my wife passed away, it was my next door black neighbors that came to me and gave me a hug and cried with me before anyone else offered condolences. I have nothing but love and respect for them til this day and would anything in my power to defend them. All lives matter! I get it, I’ve lived it!

I'll do my best to explain this once since the whole point is communication and education, I don't post on this board much, because quite frankly, quite a few people that do demonstrate misguided values and small mindedness on a daily basis. I come here for the content rob provides and will continue to do so, but having discussions on these boards does very little for me other than reinforce why I left the state in my teens and have no desire to ever go back.

Saying black lives matter doesn't say they matter more or only they matter. It's a rally cry to stand up to systemic racism and police brutality that's it. In your post you've not only proven you don't get that, you also tried to make this about you. It's not, it's not about me either. So maybe walk a mile in their shoes, maybe close your mouth and open your eyes and ears, or maybe just turn off the internet and live in your bubble of ignorance and misguided morals.

And again I have no interest in debating anything on these boards, I just wanted to make sure Rob knew that people out here respected him and his effort to give people access to content they might not be able to get anywhere else. I avoid social media like the plague and would never have seen the player's tweets had he not put them here.

The whole coaching staff will be replaced...it just fits the mobs narrative too easily to have the "Dean of coaches" be an old white dude and not be racist. I dont see how they survive this.

Rob has an agenda which is fine; with most media they cant resist adding in their own personal opinion. I wish he had separate accounts for his personal views but since this spans both worlds I can give him a pass.

Sorry Kirk, the writing is on the wall. This is your legacy now.

The whole coaching staff will be replaced...it just fits the mobs narrative too easily to have the "Dean of coaches" be an old white dude and not be racist. I dont see how they survive this.

Rob has an agenda which is fine; with most media they cant resist adding in their own personal opinion. I wish he had separate accounts for his personal views but since this spans both worlds I can give him a pass.

Sorry Kirk, the writing is on the wall. This is your legacy now.

wrong, so very wrong

Systemic racism needs to be worked on. That's a fact. But when people say "if you do so and so, you are part of the problem", that's an opinion. Here are some options from people who look at it a different way. If you race bait, you are part of the problem. If your brain instantly thinks "black people are monkeys" when someone mentions king kong, you are part of the problem. If you think it's oppression every time a white person flips a black person some shit for any reason other than the color of his skin, you are part of the problem. If you can't see the good in it when people say "all lives matter" then you are part of the problem.

People might think right now they want to live in a world where white people flip shit to white people, black people flip shit to black people, black people flip shit to white people, and white people don't flip shit to black people. But if we ever achieve that goal. I have a feeling most people, black and white, are going to be offended that that's the world we live in. Talk about being treated different because the color of your skin. I mean, it's better than getting treated like shit, but it's far from equality and feeling like you fit in.

And if the goal is to be thought of as equals, I've got a bombshell for you. People who say "all lives matter" already consider blacks and whites as equals. That's a good thing. It means the goal has already been met with that individual so you can move on to the next guy. I understand the thought process of "well we feel like some people don't think that black lives matter so we need to say it". That's fine. But you need to recognize that you've already won with the people who say all lives matter.

If you say "all lives matter" immediately after a protester says "black lives matter", you're being unnecessarily provocative. If you say ALM outside of that context, you're making a values statement that is wholly appropriate.

If you say "all lives matter" immediately after a protester says "black lives matter", you're being unnecessarily provocative. If you say ALM outside of that context, you're making a values statement that is wholly appropriate.
Saw this on Twitter, think it's a pretty apt description:

"If you break your arm and go to the doctor, and the doctor says “all your bones matter, not just your arm.” You’re gonna look at them stupid because yes, all your bones matter but your arm needs attention right now. BLM is that arm, saying all lives matter is redundant."

wrong, so very wrong
What are you saying is wrong? Rob having an "agenda," or the entire staff being replaced?

Because I can see the latter happening.

This thing is snowballing by the minute, and it's becoming national news. The pressure is going to boil over at some point and there is going to be a gigantic house-cleaning. It's naive to think that this is an issue that's going to be handled by the athletic department.

The university administration and BOR are going to step in very soon and start bouncing people...write that down.

Doyle will obviously go.

Wallace is on the no-chance-of-survival list. Aside from any abuse he was posting GPAs in meetings to shame a player and that's illegal. Other players have corroborated it.

Brian won't survive this, especially as more accusations come out, and the fact that Kirk is shielding him. Regardless of what Kirk says about the severity of what he did, he's being seen as shielding his kid. The simple PR of that won't let Brian continue; he's going to have to go. Remember, whether you like it or not, public perception trumps all.

The more Kirk keeps saying he "can't recall" things the further he digs himself in a hole. He's always talking about anecdotes from 30 years ago, and he and Doyle were tighter than anyone in the program. It just doesn't add up and it's painfully obvious in his answers to questions that he's giving the lawyer-approved answers to try and minimize the impact to his long-time friend. We might do the same in that situation...

The statement that he wishes players would have come to him privately rather than publicly was one of the dumbest things he's ever said or done. He pretty much said he wishes he would have had a chance to sweep it under the rug and save the face of the program, which is what got the program into this mess. Not a good look.

Barta is a puppet. He's been the U's whipping boy in every situation that's happened. He gets paid millions to fund-raise and make defensive statements when something goes wrong, and this one will be the ultimate whip. This isn't a defense of the guy, btw...I think he's an idiot and should have been gone a long time ago.

I'm not involved in the program whatsoever, I don't know any players or staff, and I only see and read the accounts of what happened in the media, the same as every one of you. I have my opinions on what I think probably happened, but no proof for either side. But I do think that regardless of guilt/innocence, this program is going to get dumped out and started over in regards to staffing, and I think the Ferentz name as it pertains to Iowa football now dies out with Kirk's firing or retirement, whichever happens first. And before anyone says Ferentz's name is unimpeachable, the same thing happened to Paterno. Those circumstances were much more serious. but it still shows it can happen. Paterno didn't necessarily participate in the wrong-doings, but he didn't quash it, either and his name is now dirt. Thinking the same thing can't happen to KF is ignorant.

There will probably always be Iowa football as long as the sport is around, but Iowa football as we've known it for 40 years is over, people. We are now the kind of program that we used to make fun of, and probably rightly so if all of these things were really happening. Better to accept it right now and deal with it. The total philosophy and direction of the program will change, and unfortunately recruiting will tank regardless of what happens with the program's direction and philosophy. Whether it recovers eventually or not is yet to be seen.

Just like until now the Hawkeyes had pre-HF and post-HF as the two distinct eras in the game, we now have a third. This current one is over.

Last edited:
Just like until now the Hawkeyes had pre-HF and post-HF as the two distinct eras in the game, we now have a third. This current one is over.

I'm giving Cap'n a less than 25% chance of being at the helm come week 1 of the 2021 season. I agree with you. If Kirk is gone after this year, I think we will hit the Mizzou path when Pinkel had seen enough and bounced. There is no reason Iowa should be where we are, but we have gotten lucky with 2 legendary hires whose tenures have spanned my entire knowledge of Iowa football. The odds of a program like Iowa hitting three times in a row are really low. Even Alabama went decades between Bear and Nick (Stallings lucked into a title in a year the SEC stunk and he had a ton of instate recruits who were 'Bama fans living on residual history).

I'm giving Cap'n a less than 25% chance of being at the helm come week 1 of the 2021 season. I agree with you. If Kirk is gone after this year, I think we will hit the Mizzou path when Pinkel had seen enough and bounced. There is no reason Iowa should be where we are, but we have gotten lucky with 2 legendary hires whose tenures have spanned my entire knowledge of Iowa football. The odds of a program like Iowa hitting three times in a row are really low. Even Alabama went decades between Bear and Nick (Stallings lucked into a title in a year the SEC stunk and he had a ton of instate recruits who were 'Bama fans living on residual history).
Unfortunately for everyone--players, staff, and fans--this program has had the proverbial fork stuck in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts